Helper Spring Install

Brother did the install of the Super Springs (same mfr as the Sumo Springs) in my home garage. Maybe an hour or so doing the install. Towed his 5er from central Ontario to Yellowstone & back last month.
If they are like Timbrens, you can just yank them off if you aren't planning to use them and reinstall when you do. I use my truck as a daily driver most of the year, and I haul firewood part of the year...I just flip them back in when I know it's that time of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On 10/25/2017 at 9:06 AM, gmacecsko said:

I have a 2016 2500 also and I am thinking the same thing. How hard could it be to add the 3500 upper overload spring and the stops ?

And before the Weight police start in :D. I fully understand this will not increase my legal payload. But should improve the ride when towing a 5th wheel. The frame already has the bolt holes for the stops. I just need to find all the part numbers.

You do know the truck has to squat 2-3in. before the overloads even make contact right? It's not that I don't like the factory overloads but if a guy's truck is leveled it will have 4in. of sag in the rear before the overloads really kick in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, 2016HD said:

This is why I wonder what the point of levelling your truck is. The rake of the truck is there for the reason of being able to load it and not have it sit front end high. If you want bigger tires i guess this helps? But they will fit 34" tires stock without a level.

Sorry to rant just doesnt make sense to me. Thanks.

Because some of us don't like our trucks to look like a cat in heat. Along with some of us, our bodies have had quite a toll taken on them over the years and getting in and out of the stock bed can be an issue. All the fun in the Army, and now getting much older, my knees are not quite what they were when I was 21 years old.   The 2" drop did wonders all the way around.  And I have put a ton of product in the bed and it still is somewhat level.  But after a while, I did install some Sumosprings and now someone is going to have a very tough time selling me on the idea that lowering the back end is a bad thing.  With the 2" drop in the back, the Sumo's rest right on the axle and give the equivalent of air ride without all the cost and hassle.  Not as harsh as the stiffer Timbren stuff.  Extremely stable on cornering and well worth it. 

It sure makes sense to me, but then I am not speculating on what the result is..... I have experienced it and would have it no other way.  Stock sucks.

Here is the Sumo's I installed.....

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssr-207-47/#comment-5286

On 11/7/2017 at 5:11 AM, Cowpie said:

Because some of us don't like our trucks to look like a cat in heat. Along with some of us, our bodies have had quite a toll taken on them over the years and getting in and out of the stock bed can be an issue. All the fun in the Army, and now getting much older, my knees are not quite what they were when I was 21 years old.   The 2" drop did wonders all the way around.  And I have put a ton of product in the bed and it still is somewhat level.  But after a while, I did install some Sumosprings and now someone is going to have a very tough time selling me on the idea that lowering the back end is a bad thing.  With the 2" drop in the back, the Sumo's rest right on the axle and give the equivalent of air ride without all the cost and hassle.  Not as harsh as the stiffer Timbren stuff.  Extremely stable on cornering and well worth it. 

It sure makes sense to me, but then I am not speculating on what the result is..... I have experienced it and would have it no other way.  Stock sucks.

You installed drop shackles, correct?

How far from sumos to stop contact unloaded?

48 minutes ago, powerhaulic said:

You installed drop shackles, correct?

How far from sumos to stop contact unloaded?

Yes, drop shackles installed.  Unloaded, the Sumos are on the axle.  No gap.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:11 AM, Cowpie said:

is this really as easy as it looks ? just replacing the factory jounce bumpers with these ? 

i have a stock 2018 2500hd and sometimes have a good weight in the bed . would like it to sit level in the back if i do slightly over load it 

is this really as easy as it looks ? just replacing the factory jounce bumpers with these ? 
 i have a stock 2018 2500hd and sometimes have a good weight in the bed . would like it to sit level in the back if i do slightly over load it 
Yup, takes about 15 minutes to install...screwdriver to pop the OE out, a 2x4 or 4x4 on the spring perch and use the weight of the truck to press the replacement into place.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Yup, takes about 15 minutes to install...screwdriver to pop the OE out, a 2x4 or 4x4 on the spring perch and use the weight of the truck to press the replacement into place.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

thanks , sounds just what i need i will check them out 

Yeah, same thing. Since i lowered the back a little with the McGaughy's shackles, figured I would jack the truck up via the frame and get some distance between frame and axle.  Screwdriver to take the bump stops out.   Cleaned out the pockets.  Put a little silicone lube on the Sumo's.  Twisted them right in.  About as simple as it gets.  When I lowered the truck, the Sumo's rested on the axle.  

• 2 weeks later...

Cowpie, thanks for posting these super springs. Seem like a really great idea a opposed to having the dealership add helper springs.

so here are my thoughts and let me know if they work like I think...

next spring, before I upgrade tires I'm going to crank my front end up enough to leave 1.5-2 inches of rake. Often throughout the year I'm hauling 1.5 to 2 k of payload which with my current rake levels the truck.  Since I'm reducing my  rake now, when fully loaded I'll be resting on these super springs.  It sounds like at 50% compression they offer 1500# of resistance so in theory even with my reduced rake, at full payload I'll still be riding level?  Let me know I'm ready to order these bad boys.

thanks!

On 11/29/2017 at 7:12 AM, Buckshot556 said:

Cowpie, thanks for posting these super springs. Seem like a really great idea a opposed to having the dealership add helper springs.

so here are my thoughts and let me know if they work like I think...

next spring, before I upgrade tires I'm going to crank my front end up enough to leave 1.5-2 inches of rake. Often throughout the year I'm hauling 1.5 to 2 k of payload which with my current rake levels the truck.  Since I'm reducing my  rake now, when fully loaded I'll be resting on these super springs.  It sounds like at 50% compression they offer 1500# of resistance so in theory even with my reduced rake, at full payload I'll still be riding level?  Let me know I'm ready to order these bad boys.

thanks!

You are correct on 1500# for the ones that replace bump stop.  But there are other options for Sumpsprings that offer more resistance.  

My back is lowered with McGaughy’s drop shackles, so it leaves about 1.5” in rake.  With 2k in the bed, it is about level.   The Sumos are resting on the axle when empty, so they are starting to compress immediately  with a load.  At level, they have reached full support.

• 1 month later...

Archived