Cruising Speed

I drive usually what the average surrounding traffic drives. However I usually keep it no more than 10 over the posted on the interstate no more than 5 on the surface roads. Its actually safer to keep up with traffic. Differential in speed causes more accidents than just speeding. So if you are in a 65MPH zone and the traffic average is 70 and you decide to go 55 you are at higher risk of an accident or causing one. Obviously road conditions, load etc effect maximum speed. Of course that does not shield you from a ticket...however most cops won't bother you for 10 over or less on the highway.

Yea I said…..but I love logic traps.

You guys do know that in every state in the Union that speeding even to pass is illegal, right? That means boys that if I’m doing the speed limit it is illegal to pass me. Period!

It also means for you to execute a legal pass I MUST be driving slow enough to permit that pass within the allot passing zone length and traffic conditions. There are also laws concerning the speeds at which certain vehicles are limited to such as U-Haul trailers which is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than any Interstate limit. Guess you want them to just leave the road for you.

So let me see if I understand this line of reasoning. We are saying that to maintain a minimal differential in speed that the designated ‘slow lane’ needs to speed up so you can break the law and increase the impact hazard of everyone around you. Did I get that right? Then you want me to driver faster on the primary highways forcing you to break the law and increasing crash potential to us both and others? It does increase your passing time and length A BUNCH. Do the math. Cause as I’ve already stated and has been confirmed in this thread fellas. If I’m doing 5 or even 10 over you will still pass me.

What this boils down to in good old Aristotle like logic is you want me to joint you so that your conscience is clear and YOUR preferences are meant regardless of the law and regardless of others needs or wishes to be law abiding and safety conscience.

My favorite. Because the ‘law’ wont write the ticket the law isn’t the law thus I’m not obligated to abide by it. That actually has a certain amount of truth to it rationally but morally it is twisted as heck and the ticket will be written in a wreck after the fact. That’s fair right? That the law cover is butt for dismissing law before!…. I digress….

Let’s play this out. Case #1. I’m doing 5 under on a primary and you’re doing 5 over. 10 difference in the same direction. That would be equivalent to you hitting a stone wall at 10 mph. Let that FULLY sink in. You can run walk into a wall that fast and survive without a bruise. A rear end collision is the ONLY case possible by your definition of speed differential hazard.

When you approach me your pass is complete in a relatively short distance and your on your way none the worse for the wear.

Case #2. I’m driving 5 over and you pass me. You have to accelerate to say what 70 in a 55 to do that without taking up half a state to do so. Don’t lie, it’s probably faster. The oncoming car is also doing 5 over. He drives like you do. That’s a collision with a stone wall at 130 MPH where everyone dies or sustains critical injury. In addition you collect me the guy or two or three behind him that are following too closely and some bystander on a bicycle on his graduation trip across country and his girlfriend.

There is NO case where this flawed “speeding is better” logic leaves everyone unharmed. Speeding is by nature dangerous, selfish and reckless.

​Oh...wait there is a case. The case were God suspends the laws of physics.

That said people will continue to defend that which hasn't a defense to ease their personal conscience and give themselves permission for reckless behavior. Tis the nature of men.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys do know that in every state in the Union that speeding even to pass is illegal, right? That means boys that if I’m doing the speed limit it is illegal to pass me. Period!

It also means for you to execute a legal pass I MUST be driving slow enough to permit that pass within the allot passing zone length and traffic conditions. There are also laws concerning the speeds at which certain vehicles are limited to such as U-Haul trailers which is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than any Interstate limit. Guess you want them to just leave the road for you.

So let me see if I understand this line of reasoning. We are saying that to maintain a minimal differential in speed that the designated ‘slow lane’ needs to speed up so you can break the law and increase the impact hazard of everyone around you. Did I get that right? Then you want me to driver faster on the primary highways forcing you to break the law and increasing crash potential to us both and others? It does increase your passing time and length A BUNCH. Do the math. Cause as I’ve already stated and has been confirmed in this thread fellas. If I’m doing 5 or even 10 over you will still pass me.

What this boils down to in good old Aristotle like logic is you want me to joint you so that your conscience is clear and YOUR preferences are meant regardless of the law and regardless of others needs or wishes to be law abiding and safety conscience.

My favorite. Because the ‘law’ wont write the ticket the law isn’t the law thus I’m not obligated to abide by it. That actually has a certain amount of truth to it rationally but morally it is twisted as heck and the ticket will be written in a wreck after the fact. That’s fair right? That the law cover is butt for dismissing law before!…. I digress….

Let’s play this out. Case #1. I’m doing 5 under on a primary and you’re doing 5 over. 10 difference in the same direction. That would be equivalent to you hitting a stone wall at 10 mph. Let that FULLY sink in. You can run walk into a wall that fast and survive without a bruise. A rear end collision is the ONLY case possible by your definition of speed differential hazard.

When you approach me your pass is complete in a relatively short distance and your on your way none the worse for the wear.

Case #2. I’m driving 5 over and you pass me. You have to accelerate to say what 70 in a 55 to do that without taking up half a state to do so. Don’t lie, it’s probably faster. The oncoming car is also doing 5 over. He drives like you do. That’s a collision with a stone wall at 130 MPH where everyone dies or sustains critical injury. In addition you collect me the guy or two or three behind him that are following too closely and some bystander on a bicycle on his graduation trip across country and his girlfriend.

There is NO case where this flawed “speeding is better” logic leaves everyone unharmed. Speeding is by nature dangerous, selfish and reckless.

That said people will continue to defend that which hasn't a defense to ease their personal conscience and give themselves permission for reckless behavior. Tis the nature of men.

Lol!

Clearly you have a lot of time on your hands....Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?

Clearly you have a lot of time on your hands....Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?

​I do. Enough actually to pause long enough to give something worth thinking about due consideration. Try it...it won't hurt. Tell ya what. I'll give you the unearned courtesy of a fair reply.

Obvious to most but perhaps not you. I don't need to be convinced. I understand the physics. I understand the logic. I can pen the rhetoric. I lived the results of failing to heed what physics was teaching to tragic result. I've experienced every once of the pain. I offered the benefit of that experience freely. You decided it was of no value...oh well....

As with anything of this nature there are those that know and don't care and those that have heard but don't understand. Those that have never heard and then there are those that just never gave the topic two seconds of consideration. In those last three groups contain those that can and will if given a chance, understand and apply to their benefit. The remainder...well...you are the remainder. Have a glorious day.

In my working years I drove around 50K miles a year. Retired I drive about 18K miles a year. I drive mostly in the south speed limits are higher I tend mostly to stay around 5 over except where there 75 and above I stay at it. Overly slow driver tend to get harassed not so much if they stay to the right. Left hand lane hangers tend to get the most grief deservingly so because they are law breakers. Most people who hang left are breaking the keep right except to pass law which is being enforced more now because of road rage. If someone closes in on you passing in the left lane your supposed to match their speed than get to the right then slow down. I've had more than one police confirmed that. The police in most cases will pull over the guy last in line speeding. It's the safest one to nab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

​I do. Enough actually to pause long enough to give something worth thinking about due consideration. Try it...it won't hurt. Tell ya what. I'll give you the unearned courtesy of a fair reply.

Obvious to most but perhaps not you. I don't need to be convinced. I understand the physics. I understand the logic. I can pen the rhetoric. I lived the results of failing to heed what physics was teaching to tragic result. I've experienced every once of the pain. I offered the benefit of that experience freely. You decided it was of no value...oh well....

As with anything of this nature there are those that know and don't care and those that have heard but don't understand. Those that have never heard and then there are those that just never gave the topic two seconds of consideration. In those last three groups contain those that can and will if given a chance, understand and apply to their benefit. The remainder...well...you are the remainder. Have a glorious day.

Welcome to the internet....people tend to disagree here. Drive however you want. Resorting to insults....pathetic and sad.

Welcome to the internet....people tend to disagree here. Drive however you want. Resorting to insults....pathetic and sad.

Wow! You punch a guy in the mouth and complain when he bleeds on you. Now that's pathetic.

In my working years I drove around 50K miles a year. Retired I drive about 18K miles a year. I drive mostly in the south speed limits are higher I tend mostly to stay around 5 over except where there 75 and above I stay at it. Overly slow driver tend to get harassed not so much if they stay to the right. Left hand lane hangers tend to get the most grief deservingly so because they are law breakers. Most people who hang left are breaking the keep right except to pass law which is being enforced more now because of road rage. If someone closes in on you passing in the left lane your supposed to match their speed than get to the right then slow down. I've had more than one police confirmed that. The police in most cases will pull over the guy last in line speeding. It's the safest one to nab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Useful, true and instructive. It's nice to know how to circumvent the law. (wink)

Useful, true and instructive. It's nice to know how to circumvent the law. (wink)

Ill admit I used to be one of those get every mile per hour without getting a ticket drivers. Especially back in the double nickel days CB in hand. I'd be mentally exhausted when I got home. People need to pull out their calculator and figure out just how much time the gain buy the extra MPHs over their trip. Like me they'll figure out it ain't worth it, life changer for me.

Ill admit I used to be one of those get every mile per hour without getting a ticket drivers. Especially back in the double nickel days CB in hand. I'd be mentally exhausted when I got home. People need to pull out their calculator and figure out just how much time the gain buy the extra MPHs over their trip. Like me they'll figure out it ain't worth it, life changer for me.

I recently took a trip to Denver from my home near Chicago in da Buick. I set the cruise at 72 mph. The limit in Illinois and Iowa and a less than Nebraska and Colorado. On the return trip I ran 60 mph the entire trip. Some heavy weather and I was in less of a hurry. Over the 1,000 mile two day trip is cost me an hour a day saved me about 15% on my fuel. 26.5 mpg out and 31.0 mpg home. Saved enough in fuel to buy a steak instead of eating at Micky D's. Make that trip twice a year and it buys a free hotel night and the trip still takes two days.

Wow! You punch a guy in the mouth and complain when he bleeds on you. Now that's pathetic.

LOL....yes I feel so burned. I'll just keep responding because you feel the need to have the last word. :lurk:

I run about 75% interstate two to three days a week driving to and from work (45 miles each way).

I run 65mph in the 65mph zones and 67 to 68mph in the 70mph zones. Case in point, I did the typical morning commute today, I passed two trucks and no cars on my interstate portion. Yeah, I got passed; but you will always get passed...if I was doing 90mph in a 65mph zone, I would have someone trying to pass me (actually been there and done that). I stay to the right, chug along and ignore those running faster or slower than me (they aren't me, so I don't care about them). Along the same lines, it's funny to see how many people drive slightly under the speed limit during my commute...legal speed is 70mph, I would guess 75% run just under that like me.

I learned a long time ago that there is no sense being in a hurry in this area because there is always traffic. Sit back and relax...don't need to worry about police (lots of speed traps around here) or kicking the cruise in/out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived