Rear differential fluid leak?

I have a 2WD 2006 Tahoe, g80 10 bolt. I replaced the differential seal and added mobil1 75w-90 to my rear differential.

Taking the cover bolts off was fun. It looks like they had some kind of pink/red threadlocker on them. Once I got the cover off, the Inner edges of the cover and the differential body had mild rust, most of it wiped off with break cleaner. Razor bladed the old gasket off.

I added almost 3 quarts before it started to come out of the fill hole. Took it for a drive and checked it later in the day and noticed fluid leaked out of the fill hole. Should I be concerned about that? Does the fill plug need to be torqued to the spec for it not to leak or is snug good enough?

What does a differential cover leak look like? Would it drip oil and leave a puddle on the ground or would it be milder and look like a wet cover?

In the owners manual, it should give diagrams on how full to fill each one, the reason I say this is that they all appear different.

With that said, I fill all of them to the point they run out the fill hole.

A leak can be a a drip or a weeping, it doesn't take much gear oil to look like a major issue. I drove cross country with a leaking 11.5AAM, tail gate was wet with oil, underside looked drenched. Each time I checked the oil level, it wasn't even perceptibly different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived