Intermittent extreme wobble 2015 3500 duelly

Hey looking for some answers or possible solutions for a wobble on my dmax. I took the truck in to the local dealership twice over the same issue. Since it only happens every now and again they cannot duplicate the problem. So... driving down the road 45-50 mph the steering wheel will start shaking left and right. I slow down and it gets worse to the point i have to completely stop. Violently shakes. I took it back to the dealership again today and of course the original tech was busy and couldn't do a road test so the service writer came on a ride. Although the severe shaking did not occur during the road test when i applied the brakes in a normal fashion the truck would either turn hard left or turn hard right. I let go of the steering wheel and proved that there is an issue to the service writer.

They provided a loaner while they looked at the truck. Called back a couple hours later and said that I have to replace my front tires. I recently had the truck aligned and the tires are fine?? After arguing the obvious to them that if it was a tire issue the problem would be there every time I drove the truck. I went back up there and took the tech out for a ride. Of course the truck did not do it again but he was unaware of the video that I showed and sent to the service writer and what had happen during the initial ride. so I have to take it back up there again tomorrow.

Any insight of what the issue could be would be greatly appreciated since the dealership is beyond clueless.

Edited by Todd1312

If a 2015 1 ton front end is set up the same as the older model 3/4 tons then I would check the pitman and idler arms first.......you are under warranty correct? Very doubtful that you would get a "full" wobble without one of the above parts being bad since these tie directly into the center link.(at least on the older 3/4 tons) ..........

Both my 08 Dually Duramax and my 16 Dually 6.0 have excellent steering but the 08 Dually Duramax came with junk shocks that were completely wore out at 40000 miles. I don't think that worn shocks could cause a wobble but mine would allow the truck to nose down on moderate braking and the ABS brakes would start to chatter as the weight came off the rear wheels. New Rancho 9000s with the front shocks set to the harshest setting made the truck brakes work excellent and the truck felt new again. I believe the newer 3500s with a Duramax have a heavier front axle weight rating because my 08 was very close to it's maximum front weight rating, with only me at 185 lb in the driver's seat. Lucky it was an LTZ with only seating for two, three 200 pound guys sitting in the front of that truck would have overloaded the front end of the 08 Duramax, not very heavy duty engineering for an HD truck.

If it was the tires wouldn't it be occurring every time I drive it and not once every so often? It happened once in January (was when I first took it in) and again yesterday.

Jan and now seems to be end of tire/shock life. Maybe a refresh on both? maybe airbags.

Well they swear that they checked everything and everything is good. My father in law is a diesel mechanic and he watched the video of what it was doing and agreed with me that something is going on with the ABS computer. However the dealership is pushing the tire issue so I bought a new set for the front. If it happens again and screws up my brand new $600 tires they will be replacing them yet again....

Well they swear that they checked everything and everything is good. My father in law is a diesel mechanic and he watched the video of what it was doing and agreed with me that something is going on with the ABS computer. However the dealership is pushing the tire issue so I bought a new set for the front. If it happens again and screws up my brand new $600 tires they will be replacing them yet again....

Drive with the traction control off, better yet keep the button pressed to turn the stabilitrac off as well.

See if that fixes the issue.

This may be of no help. I had a similar problem with a Jeep Wrangler many years ago....I had it aligned, checked re-checked still would get death wobble. By luck I found the problem. My rear track bar was loose, causing the rear axle to shift just enough to throw the alignment out and cause the wobble. Now I know that a Jeep is very different 1 ton duelly but maybe my experience has some relevance? Probably not :lol:

This may be of no help. I had a similar problem with a Jeep Wrangler many years ago....I had it aligned, checked re-checked still would get death wobble. By luck I found the problem. My rear track bar was loose, causing the rear axle to shift just enough to throw the alignment out and cause the wobble. Now I know that a Jeep is very different 1 ton duelly but maybe my experience has some relevance? Probably not :lol:

No 4-link, track bar, or coil spring suspension on a GM HD truck.

My money is on the stibilitrac pulling power and applying brakes, simply pressing the button might stop the issue.

No 4-link, track bar, or coil spring suspension on a GM HD truck.

My money is on the stibilitrac pulling power and applying brakes, simply pressing the button might stop the issue.

As stated, I know they are not the same suspension however its possible something got loose like spring shackle...I don't know like I said probably not relevant.

Do a google search for service bulletins for your truck. I am not sure if the duallies are having the same problem, but a number of the last couple of years Dmax's have had steering problems.

Look at the thread about the 2016 steering. I know yours is a 2015, but just a thought.

Mark

Edited by HeliMark