Dear GM, Don't put Ranchos on anything

I realize you don't give a rip, but the contention remains.... when someone states that something should be "like a truck", perspective is everything. I still am not quite sure what that is supposed to mean. Trucks are in Class 1 thru Class 8. "like a truck" can have a very broad meaning. Just because you chose to be contentious about it doesn't clarify the issue.

The Ranchos that are a part of my 2015 2500 still are doing fine. If they are "junk", then they should have fallen apart already, especially with almost 30,000 miles on them. While I don't tow much to speak of, I have hauled to the pickup gross limit many times. I bought it primarily for hauling, and some snowplow work, and not towing. And it gets used off road on the property many times, and there is 2 miles of rough gravel road between my driveway and the nearest hard top road. So I have put the maximum on those factory shocks several times, with no indication of shocks failing.

So you have inspected all 4 shocks for leaking then?

Why do you continue to split hairs over what a truck is? YOU come on to a GM TRUCK SITE and whine because we call them trucks instead of pick-up trucks, we get it you are the world's greatest TRUCK driver, we simply don't care, don't want to hear or talk semi's.

Now unless you have some facts and have pulled and inspected your shocks don't expect me to hold much weight in what you have to say about them...

• Like 1

My 12 1500 Z71 with 59k miles rides a little rough but the Ranchos are not leaking. I'm not saying they are not prone to leaking or that their are better build quality shocks. I'm saying mine have done the job IMO.

When I replace them(soon) I will use Gabriel or Monroe, good enough for me. :happysad:

So you have inspected all 4 shocks for leaking then?

Why do you continue to split hairs over what a truck is? YOU come on to a GM TRUCK SITE and whine because we call them trucks instead of pick-up trucks, we get it you are the world's greatest TRUCK driver, we simply don't care, don't want to hear or talk semi's.

Now unless you have some facts and have pulled and inspected your shocks don't expect me to hold much weight in what you have to say about them...

What is fascinating is how some will try to intimidate others with ridicule. Not working. I haven't been intimidated since I left SE Asia. Now that was true intimidation. You're just pissed that you are not being justified in your assertion. Had some psychology in college, but that is outside my pay grade.

Yes, I get under the pickup every 5000 miles and do a complete underside inspection along with greasing. Just my way. I do that with all my vehicles. And it seems as if others are not experiencing the problems you have. And when it does come time to replace, will probably do likewise as diyer2 and use Monroes. Monroes are my usual shock for most applications.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

After putting 2700+ miles a week in my semi truck, I am always confused what folks mean when they say stuff like, "like a truck". I don't want my 2500 to ride anything "like a truck" after being beat up all week in the semi truck. So I always wonder what folks are getting at by those comments. I was left confused at first, until several posts later I kind of gathered what was being alluded to.

Must be a fluke. I have had a couple of 2500's and neither really oscillated on bumps. Now I have to admit the back end was not all that great on my present ride, until I installed some Sumosprings on the back and the ride is noticeably better all the way around, loaded or empty.

its all about your needs. I'm towing a camping trailer, so I need the extra damping.

The Ranchos being specific to the Z71, I would be willing to bet the standard GM shocks are fine. Your mileage may vary.

You are right about the low bid thing. Hauled production auto parts for many years and witnessed that behind the scenes stuff. Every dollar saved in assembly is millions over the run.

For better damping while towing, Sumosprings or air bags will do far more to help than any shocks will. I personally like Sumosprings on my pickup. The equivalent of air bags, but simpler, cheaper, and no maintenance required. No air to add or remove. Nothing against air bags, that is all my commercial stuff rides on. But I got a set of Sumo's for my 2500 and installed them in about 20 minutes, including wheels off and back on. Plug, play, and forget. Adds much better ride quality both empty and loaded. They rest right on the axle. I just did rear, though they have them for both front and rear axles.

Edited by Cowpie

You are right about the low bid thing. Hauled production auto parts for many years and witnessed that behind the scenes stuff. Every dollar saved in assembly is millions over the run.

For better damping while towing, Sumosprings or air bags will do far more to help than any shocks will. I personally like Sumosprings on my pickup. The equivalent of air bags, but simpler, cheaper, and no maintenance required. No air to add or remove. Nothing against air bags, that is all my commercial stuff rides on. But I got a set of Sumo's for my 2500 and installed them in about 20 minutes, including wheels off and back on. Plug, play, and forget. Adds much better ride quality both empty and loaded. They rest right on the axle. I just did rear, though they have them for both front and rear axles.

Shocks have nothing to do with airbags, being a super steering wheel holder I figured you would know that.

While airbags are great they do nothing for dampening and rebound/keeping the axle planted. Airbags and shocks have nothing in common.

Once again you bring your semi and super trucking into another thread...

I agree with you completely, I had several over the years. And I do appreciate the newer truck's capabilities and level of comfort doing it. But honestly that is not my point.

I don't mind a truck that rides like a truck. But stiff suspension or soft, I expect it to dampen the suspension oscillation. After I hit a bump I don't want it to keep bouncing for a mile. A 7200 lb trailer only makes it worse.

Are you using a weight distribution hitch? I bumper pull an 11k camper with my 2500 z71 6.6. And get a comfy ride... one or two oscillations but that's it. Got 67k miles..little rust on the shocks but no leaks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Are you using a weight distribution hitch? I bumper pull an 11k camper with my 2500 z71 6.6. And get a comfy ride... one or two oscillations but that's it. Got 67k miles..little rust on the shocks but no leaks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yes, I am using an equalizer hitch. When I removed the Rachos, the rear felt soft, I could compress them fairly easily. Some people have better luck, makes me think it is a QA issue.

Now with the new shocks, I get the performance you have, one or two bounce and that is it. Additionally the bounce strength isn't as much either.

Not sure what the average life for a standard rancho shock is for a 1/2 ton pick up truck? All I can tell you is that on my 2014 Z71 with Ranchos they were bad earlier than I expected (I think it may have been 45,000 miles or so) I just replaced the rear ones with some 20 dollar Gabriel Ultras took like 5 minutes per side. got some pics of the ranchos showing the leaks.

post-127028-0-01755300-1476145624_thumb.jpg
post-127028-0-85335600-1476145606_thumb.jpg
post-127028-0-10165000-1477755799_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tough thing is that ride quality is purely subjective.....In my area, the roads are really rough to the point of making the truck pretty jittery. The highway oscillations that everyone is talking about is understandable...but if you cure the oscillations, chances are the truck becomes jittery over smaller bumps. Had Bilsteins (4600) on my 2002 and 2004 HD, Monroe Reflexes on my 2007 LBZ, and now Rancho 9000XL's, and Sulastic shackles on the same LBZ and each setup had it's good and bad traits....

Add tire pressure adjustments and it becomes even more subjective....

My 2015 has these Z71 shocks and I'm almost too tired to experiment.....