Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

Chevy 5.3-liter V8 In a Land Rover Defender? Why not!?

post-139450-0-97954100-1499808261_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-11-2017

East Coast Defender blends English ownership and tradition with a U.S.-based workforce in Florida to build amazing Land Rover Defenders. The classic compact SUV is quickly becoming one of the hottest classic restoration segments in America, and East Coast offers some very interesting updates on what is perhaps the defining European "contemporary classic" compact SUV.

post-139450-0-33485800-1499808325_thumb.jpg post-139450-0-61197400-1499808355_thumb.jpg

East Coast Defender's latest project involved adding a Chevy small-block V8 to the classic Defender 90. The East Coast Defender 90's LC9 has 326 hp, up a smidge from the 68 hp the vehicle originally started with about 30 years ago. East Coast Defender adds a six-speed transmission, stainless exhaust and brake lines, EBC Performance brakes, and an improved cooling system centered around a Ron Davis aluminum radiator.

“We have an incredibly diverse client base who come to us from across the country,” said Elliot Humble, East Coast Defender Co-owner. “I believe that speaks volumes about the broad appeal of our handcrafted Defenders. Like a finely tailored shirt, each SUV we build exudes the character and personality of its owner. ‘Project Blackout’ is an attractive vehicle that’s a stunning extension of its new owner.”

This off-roader looks like a cool combination of old and new. What say you GM-Trucks.com faithful?

post-139450-0-33485800-1499808325_thumb.jpg

post-139450-0-61197400-1499808355_thumb.jpg

Love it. The US-spec defenders sold in the 90s had the Rover V8 which is sort of an abandoned Buick V8 so I guess it always had GM power. haha

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
      4/23/2018

Horsepower and torque ratings for the 2019 T1XX platform were published to GM's Fleet Order Guide Website over the weekend. However, as quickly as they were posted, on Monday morning they were gone. 

The FastLaneTruck jumped on the model order guide update early Sunday morning.  GM-Trucks.com then confirmed the figures were indeed listed in the guide on Sunday but before we could write this story today the numbers had been erased. 

The order guide *had* listed the 2019 engines power output ratings like this:
      2019 5.3L - 355hp @ 5,600rpm & 383 lb-ft of torque at 4,100rpm
      2019 6.2L - 425hp @ 5,600rpm & 450 lb-ft of torque at 4,100rpm

If you're aware of the current 2018 model ratings, that's a no gain rating for the 5.3L and 5hp gain and 10 lb-ft loss for the 6.2L.

Could that be correct? Did GM let the cat out of the bag too early or were the wrong figures listed?

Another part of this puzzle is that the 2019 5.3L will carry the RPO code of L84. That's a pretty well known Chevrolet small block designation synonymous for being the most powerful Chevy small block before the LT5 and famously produced 375-horsepower. 

Will we see the same for the 2019 L84 5.3L? Or will the power ratings stay the same? Either way, the engine doesn't carry the same RPO code as the 2018 model so we assume it's new in some sort of way. An exact same power rating seems unlikely but we wouldn't be surprised. 

And if you're wondering the 6.2L engine will wear the RPO code L87.

Only time will tell. 
    • By 20ELEVATION18CC
      I recently bought a brand new 2018 GMC Sierra Elevation SLE. After having it for a few days and putting on 500 km, I decided to check the fluid levels. I noticed that the oil was on the lower side, meaning, it almost showed that there was minimal oil in the engine. I find this strange, seeing as normally you see the oil bubble on the dip stick between the 2 indicators. In my case, there was no proof of an oil bubble. It seems very faint and thin-looking on the dip stick. Just curious if this is how the new GMC's are, or am I just running on seriously low oil?

• By dben18
      Guys, I'm new here and I'm sorry if there's already a similar thread about this issue. I chose to eliminate my new truck fever by sprucing up my truck that has been paid off for 5 years now. My truck is 2WD and leveled. I went from the stock 17" wheels with 275/70/17 tires to the XD Buck 25 20" x 10" rims with a -25 offset. The new tire size is 275/55/20. I got it back from the tire shop and it was rubbing everywhere and shaking while I was breaking. The shaking came from the clips or "keepers" on the rear wheel studs that keeps the drum in place in the factory (got that part resolved after it was found on this forum! So, thanks guys!). After much trimming, the tire shop says I need a 3" suspension lift to have more room and eliminate all rubbing. Am I missing something? It's been four days in a row that I've been to the tire shop and it seems that nothing is getting resolved other than the shaking due to the clips. Is there a certain style trim that I can perform? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! 
    • By Leviaaronjones
      I've got a 2014 5.3L Silverado and yes it has the AFM I want it gone but for now I have to deal with it. I had a flowmaster 40 series installed and resonator cut off, and it is very quiet. I see no flapper valve so I am assuming that he cut it off to (which I was unaware of a flapper valve at the time). My question is, why is it so quiet? Does the AFM make that big of a difference In sound even when in v8? Is the flapper valve still there? Did the guy do something to make the truck quieter (we had a small disagreement while he was installing the system, and after he was done he said "if you ever want it louder we can cut off the 3rd cat"). Any help is greatly appreciated and I am going to try and put pics in the comments cuz it will not let me in the the post.
    • By The.Sundae.Drive

The Sundae Drive does an in-depth video showing how to install an oil catch can for a 2014 Silverado 5.3L. What are the benefits of an oil catch can? Well if you visit the follwing sites you can read all about the benefits and importance of running an oil catch can. Catch cans are NOT ONLY for turbo/supercharger applications. They can be very beneficial for people with naturally aspirated setups. https://www.redline-motorworks.com/bl... http://oilcatchcan.com/oil-catch-can-... Purpose of your Stock PCV System: The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is designed to regulate and remove fumes from the engine crankcase and to alleviate crankcase pressure which could cause oil leaks or seal damage. The PCV system routes crankcase fumes into the intake manifold where they can be burned to eliminate harmful emissions into the atmosphere. The PCV valve controls the amount of crankcase flow volume depending on the engine's load. With large throttle openings (high engine loads), the more blow-by gases are produced, and the more the PCV system flows oil vapor into the intake manifold. A small amount of that ignited mixture leaks past the piston rings and ends up in the crankcase. This leakage is often referred to a "blow-by" or leakage past the pistons. Some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk". Our oil catch can collect the oil mist and condensed the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gasses to pass back into the intake manifold. To pick up a Catch Can of your own go check out: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/ Here is the link for the E2 Catch itself and a diagram showing how it works! http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/e2...