New 2017 sierra 6.2!!!

Ok guys i finally got my truck. 2017 gmc sierra 1500 slt, z71 6.2 8 speed. First off let me say that this has got to be the smoothest driveing/rideing truck ive ever owned. From reading this forum ive learned that the 6.2 and 8 speed was almost a hit or miss for trans problems, well this one is a HIT!!!. SMOOTH AS BUTTER. Also it doesnt vibrate/ shake like others ive drove. Any way i have a question for you 6.2 owners out there. Does your engine temp rise alot when wot or even 3/4 trottle? Mine does compared to my 2015 5.3. I plan to make a video on this so i can show exactly what im talking about. And the sat radio cuts out alot? Any insight to that?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My satellite radio is basically junk on my '16 sierra. It cuts out all the time. Sunny day, no clouds, no regional weather, no overpasses, etc...cuts out. My previous vehicle, '09 tahoe, didn't have that issue.

My 4.3 engine temp rises the same way yours does, on heavier throttle. A year ago a dealer said it wasn't an issue and you see it alot on acceleration videos on the internet of the current generation Silverados. There was one post on here where I asked about it a while ago and there was one response that said it represents heat being carried away from the engine, as the temp is of coolant temperature and base on where it's measured from. Apparently with that stuff taken into account, it actually indicates that our trucks have more efficient cooling than most vehicles.

I've never seen my 6.2L temp move at all after it warmed up, even when I was towing 8k pounds through the mountains but evidently it isn't uncommon on some trucks.

Just wondering caise it goes to the mark after 210 and have even seen it at the 2nd past 210.

Factory H2O temp gages are not accurate at all - with an aftermarket engine monitor you can get accurate digital readings. Ran a Dash-Hawk on the 2007 Duramax to track regens - saw 180/190 normal temps while the gage read 210 all the time.............

Ok guys i finally got my truck. 2017 gmc sierra 1500 slt, z71 6.2 8 speed. First off let me say that this has got to be the smoothest driveing/rideing truck ive ever owned. From reading this forum ive learned that the 6.2 and 8 speed was almost a hit or miss for trans problems, well this one is a HIT!!!. SMOOTH AS BUTTER. Also it doesnt vibrate/ shake like others ive drove. Any way i have a question for you 6.2 owners out there. Does your engine temp rise alot when wot or even 3/4 trottle? Mine does compared to my 2015 5.3. I plan to make a video on this so i can show exactly what im talking about. And the sat radio cuts out alot? Any insight to that?

As far as your temp gauge reading higher my 2017 max tow 6.2 does the same. I had a 2015 5.3 3:42 that I sold for the 2017. Trans temps are lower when towing on the 2017 but eng temp ( according to the inaccurate gauge) are slightly higher never a problem or concern but noticeable. Might have some to do with the grille shutters but they would be wide open at that temp.

• 4 months later...

I just got my new 17 6.2 cc silverado, it does the same thing when you punch it and come right back to 210 after leaving off, it also rises when going up a hill and it down shifts. I don't remember my previous 17 doing it, bit I only had the first one for 400 miles. My previous truck had a build date of 7/17 and my now new one is 4/17 I also think the trans temp is higher on the 2nd truck as well. I wonder if the tsb for shifting may have something to do with it. I believe the first truck with the later build date would have already had the lastest program and my now new truck with the earlier build date would need the update if one is available. Something seems different because the two trucks shift differently. As in the truck with newer building date shifted better.  I just picked it up today so I'll start searching for any tsbs . Feel free to post any if you have them.

On 7/17/2017 at 8:58 PM, Knightfall said:

My 4.3 engine temp rises the same way yours does, on heavier throttle. A year ago a dealer said it wasn't an issue and you see it alot on acceleration videos on the internet of the current generation Silverados. There was one post on here where I asked about it a while ago and there was one response that said it represents heat being carried away from the engine, as the temp is of coolant temperature and base on where it's measured from. Apparently with that stuff taken into account, it actually indicates that our trucks have more efficient cooling than most vehicles.

It was just a theory of mine, but it does make sense.

one would think a fast rising water temperature would mean the heat is being soaked up from the block/head and into the coolant quickly. I mean how else do you heat the water up that quickly. In my experience overheating problem has little to do with the speed the water temp rises, it’s just that its gets hot and never cools down.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, Krusty said:

Factory H2O temp gages are not accurate at all - with an aftermarket engine monitor you can get accurate digital readings. Ran a Dash-Hawk on the 2007 Duramax to track regens - saw 180/190 normal temps while the gage read 210 all the time.............

Not doubting this is in fact true but, how do you know which one is reading true? I have a bluedriver, I'll compare when I go home tomorrow what it reads versus the "analog" gauge.

Maybe someone with more electrical/instrument knowledge can help clarify what happens from the sensor output to display vs output to a tuner?

Archived