Typical Battery Life on K2's?

Looking to see what your all getting for years/months and mileage on your original batteries and from your regional location i.e. Northwest USA, Southern Plains etc.

Mine died at 33,500 miles and 16 months completely dead in Phx,AZ Typical but sooner than I had anticipated.....

I thought new batteries were supposed to be good for 5 years? I have never changed one sooner than that.

My current truck was built in December 2014, and the battery is still going strong. And I even abuse it by running the hydraulic plow motor, which is a significant draw...

• Like 1

My March 2014 truck battery died at about 2 years and a few months, just past 36,000 miles. The life of a Delco OEM battery seems to be a roll of the dice. But there are plenty that die around 2-3 years. My 2014 Camaro had the same exact model of Delco battery and it died here a few months back.

• Like 1

They should last about 5 or 6 years or even longer. But from what I've read on here the batteries in a K2 seems to only last about 3. The only thing I can think of as to why is because K2s have the most electronic crap in them than any previous GM truck.

From everything I've heard Heat kills batteries. High under hood temps and outside ambient are major variables.

I made an aluminum heat shield for my 02 F150 battery and it lasted till 2010 moving from Michigan to Miami and then phoenix. I gave the truck to my son with the current auto zone battery that has 5 years on it.

Edited by Pearl2017

I know heat effects pretty much everything in a vehicle. But, I've read and agree that cold weather effects a battery more than heat does. It makes sense because it seems like cold weather is when you seem to always have to change it. I'm talking about waiting until it just dies where you have to change it and not changing it in the fall to be on the safe side. It also makes sense because one of the specs of a battery is cold cranking amps, they don't have a hot cranking amps.

Mine and my wifes 2015's failed. Mine has 20,000 miles hers had less than 10,000 miles. Replaced with North Star AGM, has a 5 year warranty on them. Didnt want to use warranty for the GM battery because didnt want my wife stranded and we take my truck to some remote places and neither battery gave warning. Just wouldnt crank.I live in Texas so heat could have done them in faster.

Edited by MrNasty

Mine made it 6 months and a whopping 1500 or so miles. Guy at autozone told me I had junkyard marks on the battery. It had a dead cell apparently. Bought the truck new with 10 miles on the clock. Kinda sucked, but now I know the battery is good.

Just to level set about heat and cold, my 2014 Camaro, with the same exact Delco battery (same model #) that failed at 3 years, is mounted in the trunk of the car. It does not see anywhere near the heat that a cowl mounted battery sees. It still died. The car lives in southern CA and hasn't been more than 40 miles from the ocean, ever. No cold. It's the crappy quality that is the cause for these randomly dying Delcos, IMO. There's a lot of anecdotal information that Delcos fail early and then are replaced with other brands that go longer.

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

2.5 to 3 years is about all we get out of them on any modern vehicle now a days. Too much draw and re-charging going on with all the electronic crap on vehicles now a days as well as stuff we plug in. Add to that more Environmental restrictions which I am sure plays a part in battery life. Just seems like you can't make em as good as or better than they used to be.