Picking up my new Chevy 1500 tomorrow - should of read this forum firs

Bought my first new vehicle EVER! and i'm 36 years old...I typically bought used sedans because I am always thinking about gas mileage and efficiency...but my heart always wanted a truck...Well! because volkswagen cheated on their emissions they gave me 20K for my old 2011 Jetta and I figure with that fortune i'd do what i always wanted to do and buy a truck, first I looked at used ones endlessly for about 2 months and researched the hell out of them, but with so many trims and options I couldn't decide. Last Friday I walked into the chevy dealership knowing I needed something before my turn in date and walked out ordering a new 2017 silverado LT Z71 Black with black bow ties, bose sound system, midnight edition rims, and a few other black accessories walked out the door under 40K! but with my down payment my loan is only around 20K.....anyhow, I started reading these forums after I ordered it reading about this chevy shake crap and now my heart feels broken, i'm hoping my brand new truck doesn't have this issue...crossing my fingers! BTW, I pick it up tomorrow afternoon, bed liner and accessories got put on today and tomorrow.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a great story, congratulations. I was new to the forum a few weeks ago and many told me to not worry about all that you will read on the forum. Some even said, if you want to really enjoy your truck don't read the forums at all. With that being said, I continue to read the forums and realize that out of the million of trucks there will also be some with issues. Hopefully you will not be one of the few.

I wish you the best with the new truck and welcome to the forum.

Well you have to realize a few things. One, when someone has a problem (especially with a new vehicle) they tend to want to go straight to a forum to search and ask. So just looking at a forum doesn't count for all K2 trucks out there. There's millions of just K2s on the road so not even 1% of the owners are on here. I had a '14 LT Z71 for a couple of years (had to sell because I was diagnosed with cancer right as I was starting a new job so all I have right now is a small disability check and that's the only reason I sold it was because I couldn't make the payments anymore) and the only problem it had was where the u-bolt nuts on the rear axle were loose so I TQed them down and was fine ever since. I had the truck up to the governor cut off and it never vibrated even a little bit. It was also my very first brand new truck, but too be honest, it was an impulse buy since I was just looking for used and I don't think I'll buy a new truck again. The only vehicle I'll buy new now is a Harley if I ever get a chance to get one.

So in short, you can't worry about what might happen or what might go wrong. Just enjoy it and hope it doesn't give any problems other than age when stuff will naturally go bad.

Bought my first new vehicle EVER! and i'm 36 years old...I typically bought used sedans because I am always thinking about gas mileage and efficiency...but my heart always wanted a truck...Well! because volkswagen cheated on their emissions they gave me 20K for my old 2011 Jetta and I figure with that fortune i'd do what i always wanted to do and buy a truck, first I looked at used ones endlessly for about 2 months and researched the hell out of them, but with so many trims and options I couldn't decide. Last Friday I walked into the chevy dealership knowing I needed something before my turn in date and walked out ordering a new 2017 silverado LT Z71 Black with black bow ties, bose sound system, midnight edition rims, and a few other black accessories walked out the door under 40K! but with my down payment my loan is only around 20K.....anyhow, I started reading these forums after I ordered it reading about this chevy shake crap and now my heart feels broken, i'm hoping my brand new truck doesn't have this issue...crossing my fingers! BTW, I pick it up tomorrow afternoon, bed liner and accessories got put on today and tomorrow.

There is only a small percentage of them that have the shake issues. I wouldn't get too worried about it. These trucks are pretty nice to drive and can get pretty decent mileage. I picked up mine a few weeks ago & like it a lot. It doesn't shake either.

I think every owner in the USA with "the shake" has complained about it on here, and they are still in the minority. Don't psyche yourself out. Chances are 99% that you will not have any issues.

Remember what demar002 said above, there are over a million GM trucks on the road. Only a couple dozen have this "shake".

I hope you enjoy your new truck.

Well you have to realize a few things. One, when someone has a problem (especially with a new vehicle) they tend to want to go straight to a forum to search and ask. So just looking at a forum doesn't count for all K2 trucks out there. There's millions of just K2s on the road so not even 1% of the owners are on here. I had a '14 LT Z71 for a couple of years (had to sell because I was diagnosed with cancer right as I was starting a new job so all I have right now is a small disability check and that's the only reason I sold it was because I couldn't make the payments anymore) and the only problem it had was where the u-bolt nuts on the rear axle were loose so I TQed them down and was fine ever since. I had the truck up to the governor cut off and it never vibrated even a little bit. It was also my very first brand new truck, but too be honest, it was an impulse buy since I was just looking for used and I don't think I'll buy a new truck again. The only vehicle I'll buy new now is a Harley if I ever get a chance to get one.

So in short, you can't worry about what might happen or what might go wrong. Just enjoy it and hope it doesn't give any problems other than age when stuff will naturally go bad.

Cancer survivor myself. Glad ya made it!

Welcome! Had a 14 with no shake and now a 17 with no shake. Most are trouble free and if you have trouble that's what warranty is for. Every manufacturer has there own problems. Don't worry yourself, enjoy the truck and have fun with it.

All those posts didn't bother me one bit........test drove half a dozen before buying the pick of the litter......wound them up to 70 mph on IS 81 and not a one of them shook in the wheel, seat or pedals. Chose a Z71 which definitely rides stiffer and distinctly noisier/rumbles on concrete roads because of the aggressive pattern tires but smoother and almost dead quiet on macadam road surfaces. And give those tires at least 50 miles to wear off the nubbies and seat the tire ...no fast starts which can walk the tire on the rim and unbalance it.

Nothing magical about it. no gremlin waiting to pop out.......if you feel vibrations something, somewhere in the hundreds of rotating components is out of balance and whether or not the dealer can find it is a crap shoot. But, if a new truck doesn't vibrate it likely never will unless a component wears unevenly or becomes damaged,

As a new owner you are in the best position to determine for yourself. Vibrations in a second hand truck no matter how many miles or owners could result from carelessness of the previous owner......trust only your hands, feet and a$$ to make the evaluation because they can't be influenced like a mind soured by hundreds of complaint posts and the infamous, nonscientific water bottle in the console "test" which proved nothing other than a vibrating console.

Bad back today so I took the Silvy into VA, not as smooth and quiet as the Impala......but damn smooth and quiet for a truck!

Cancer survivor myself. Glad ya made it!

Thanks, but I have 2 more chemos to go and then I'm done. I'll be glad when it's over. I had chemo 6 times, then 2 major surgeries (both this year) and then chemo 6 more times and I've done 4 of the last 6 so far.

Enjoy your truck my friend! THE VAST MAJORITY HAVE NO ISSUES! The Silverado is Chevy's flagship and their livelyhoods depend on it selling well and being trouble free! The internet is a powerful tool and the competition knows it, so they'll take an issue and run with it on the competitors forum...Trolls. I work for a major HVAC company and every single day contractors come in with their pick ups, and I always ask how they like their trucks and about any issues they have. Let me tell you this, to a man they LOVE their GMC/Chevy trucks! Even knowing what I know these forums can get to me sometimes. Use the forums for information and modifications and they can be a lot of fun, there are some great knowledgeable people here!

I have a 2015 and it's THE BEST vehicle I've EVER owned period! So enjoy your truck and sleep well, you have chosen well!

Make sure you show us some pictures!

I have a handful of buddies with 2014+ Half tons... No issues. They love them. Love my HD

I have a handful of buddies with 2014+ Half tons... No issues. They love them. Love my HD

Thanks, but I have 2 more chemos to go and then I'm done. I'll be glad when it's over. I had chemo 6 times, then 2 major surgeries (both this year) and then chemo 6 more times and I've done 4 of the last 6 so far.

Chemo 4 times, one major surgery all back in 91. Light is lit and the end of your tunnel. Chemo back then for my cancer was in a test mode. Suffered horribly. I told myself I would come back stronger and better after it all. Accomplished both goals. I was in the military back then too. That which doesn't kill us makes it stronger! Hooyah Brother.

Archived