2500hd 6.0 l96 2015 wont crank

attachicon.gifIMG_6925.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6926.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6927.JPG

So this is the problem due to a high after market cam lift the valves hits the pistons , so its time for an engine surgery .

Well....That really blows. Is this the first time running the engine after the cam swap?

I have built several LS engines with Perf cams but have yet to put a cam in a VVT engine. Did you install a Phaser kit to limit advance or retard movement of the cam?

What camshaft do you have in the motor? There are not that many VVT cams out yet.

Well....That really blows. Is this the first time running the engine after the cam swap?

I have built several LS engines with Perf cams but have yet to put a cam in a VVT engine. Did you install a Phaser kit to limit advance or retard movement of the cam?

What camshaft do you have in the motor? There are not that many VVT cams out yet.

The cam i installed is tsp vvt 216/220 , .600"/ .600" , 112 lsa part number (25-tspvvt216220112). And i used this Gm cam phaser #28-12606358

So what could be the issue that lead to this is it a high timming , cam to crank dot timming isnt correct or a slip in a timming gear or dur to a high lift of the cam

Here's my theory. You said you used a GM cam phase. The GM VVT allows for 20 - 50 degrees of advance and or retardation of the camshaft. This works great with a stock lift / duration cam. When using a larger duration / lift cam you need to use an aftermarket phaser limiter to only allow 5-10 degrees of cam movement to eliminate the possibility of piston to valve clearance issues. If you used an aftermarket limiter, did you or your installer check PTV clearances? While the cam you used is not huge by any means it is much larger than stock. Its not so much the lift that causes clearance issues, it's usually the added duration that causes clearance issues. Then throwing VVT advance / retard on top and you got what you got. When building a motor I check clearance every 5 degrees on either side of top dead center all the way out until you know you are well clear. minimum .080 intake and .100 minimum on exhaust. Also with that amount of valve lift I assume you used some stiffer performance valve springs? If not you could have floated the valves at high rpm?

How many miles on the motor with the new cam before this happened? How did it run with that cam in it?

Here's my theory. You said you used a GM cam phase. The GM VVT allows for 20 - 50 degrees of advance and or retardation of the camshaft. This works great with a stock lift / duration cam. When using a larger duration / lift cam you need to use an aftermarket phaser limiter to only allow 5-10 degrees of cam movement to eliminate the possibility of piston to valve clearance issues. If you used an aftermarket limiter, did you or your installer check PTV clearances? While the cam you used is not huge by any means it is much larger than stock. Its not so much the lift that causes clearance issues, it's usually the added duration that causes clearance issues. Then throwing VVT advance / retard on top and you got what you got. When building a motor I check clearance every 5 degrees on either side of top dead center all the way out until you know you are well clear. minimum .080 intake and .100 minimum on exhaust. Also with that amount of valve lift I assume you used some stiffer performance valve springs? If not you could have floated the valves at high rpm?

How many miles on the motor with the new cam before this happened? How did it run with that cam in it?

well thought out theory and probably 100% spot on from my experience

I get a kick out of the OP's thread, why won't my truck start, the starter just spins, a page later we find out it was after a cam swap that the problem occurred.

"My truck has a high pitched whine, what could it be, a page later... I installed a Whipple supercharger, don't know what that would have to do with it..."

Archived