Oil Change at 7,500 miles on a new 2017?

RBRED

Question

Shouldn't oil be changed before 7,500 miles, considering break in of new engine. Is the new oil that good?

5 answers to this question

Is synthetic oil good enough to last 7500 mi? yes.

Should you change it early after engine break in? go for it if you want, but not absolutely required. The filter's job is to catch the crud floating around.

Shouldn't oil be changed before 7,500 miles, considering break in of new engine. Is the new oil that good?

I wouldn't come anywhere close to 7,500 miles on anything but Amsoil. Certainly not on dealer oil.

GM is in the business of selling you a new truck (every year if they could get you to) - not making them last forever.

On a brand new engine, I dump the oil at 600 miles, 1,500 miles, and again at 3,000 - the last one gets full synthetic.

I changed ours out early twice and then when the OLM was down to 0% we were at 7,500. Got it changed by the dealer for one of my two free tire rotations and oil change and now getting close to 0% again and it is on track to hit 7,500 miles.

After this last free change then I will be on AMSOIL Signature Series 0w-20 and will go to 0% again but before I change it I'm going to send in a sample and see where we are at.

With an 8qt sump, The oil should hold up a little better for longer drains unless there is major fuel dilution due to the direct injection, that is what the UOA will tell me.

Is synthetic oil good enough to last 7500 mi? yes.

Should you change it early after engine break in? go for it if you want, but not absolutely required. The filter's job is to catch the crud floating around.

I agree. These are not the engines of yesteryear. The oil companies still recommend oil changes every 3k miles.

There are many opinions regarding this subject.

I'm following the recommended maintenance by the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived