Gorehamj

Chevy Colorado Earns Spot on U.S. News' Best Cars For Money

post-139450-0-45451900-1500050802_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-14-2017

The Chevy Colorado has earned a spot on the U.S. News & World Report Autos' "Best Cars For the Money" list for 2017. The Colorado won the Compact Truck segment. The Ford F-150 took the Large Truck class, but Chevy did also earn an award for best Large Car with the Impala. Notably, the Colorado has never lost this contest in its modern design.

Commenting on the Colorado, Editor of USN Autos, author of the story, and long time friend of GM-Trucks.com staff, Jamie Page Deaton, wrote, "The Chevrolet Colorado returned to the market in 2015, and since then, it’s been named the Best Compact Truck for the Money three times. The Colorado’s ownership costs are good for the class, but its strong towing ability, good fuel economy, and comfortable cabin are even better." We reached out to Page-Deaton and asked if she might give us a little more on the Colorado. She told GM-Trucks.com why she personally thought the Colorado is worthy of the three-time win. She told us, "The Colorado stands out with its handsome cabin, and class-leading towing abilities. The optional diesel engine gets very good fuel economy, which helps keep ongoing costs lower for owners."

There were 22 sections in the comprehensive Best Cars award story. GM seems a little underserved with just two wins, but it is hard to argue the other vehicles didn't earn their spots. See the full story for more.

• Like 1

Congrats to the Colorado. From someone who lives in Colorado.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      3-30-2018
      Spork marketing creates interesting infographics comparing vehicles to drum up interest for its clients. We like to pick them apart. The latest comes courtesy of RealVolkswagenParts.com. “Both of these diesel trucks are multipurpose,” says Bob Cockerham, parts manager at RealVolkswagenParts.com. “They’re both equipped with ABS and have traction control, and both are capable of hauling, light towing, and taking on some off-road terrain. But the Amarok handles all of this with more power and fuel efficiency.”

As the infographic shows the VW seems to have some advantages. One we question is the MPG rating. The VW Amarok is a UK vehicle and the gallon in the UK is a larger volume of liquid than a U.S. gallon. We suspect that may be part of the reason it shows a higher MPG. The other may be that the different test cycle in the UK is less conservative than ours.

What did you find most surprising about this matchup? Do you think VW will really bring the Atlas Tanoak it displayed at the New York Auto Show to the U.S.? 

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      3-8-2018

A new infographic from Spork Marketing draws an interesting comparison between the 1998 Chevrolet Silverado diesel and the 2018 Chevy Colorado Diesel. The older truck in a larger segment with a large 6.5-liter displacement diesel engine must surely have greater torque and capacities, right? Guess again. The "smaller," modern Chevy actually matches the old 155 Silverado in every category except bed length. The new Colorado is 50% more fuel efficient but has the same power and torque as the older Silverado. The new Colorado can tow more but is down just a smidge on Max rated payload. We found the inflation-adjusted price comparison the most surprising. What spec comparison surprised you?
    • By Phelan_z06
      Hey guys! FNG here, my name is Ross and I just picked up this 2016 GMC Sierra rclb last week. I had been looking at Sierras for the last couple months to replace my 1990 Silverado ecsb with 204,000 miles, as I love the look and I didn't want to take the Silverado on my Florida trip in June, which is a 4,000 mile haul. I'm self employed as a Buell and EBR mechanic/parts salesman and I'm delivering a custom bike to a client in Florida as well as taking one of my own bikes down there to ride while I'm there for  two weeks.

Back to the truck, I specifically wanted a single cab, with which higher trim models are hard to find and quite pricey, so I ended up with a work truck model, but it does have the convenience package, so it has power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise, and keyless entry. I got mine with 11k miles, 5.3 V8, 6l80e, and LSD for 18k. I'm loving this thing so far. I always wanted a sport truck, and besides the clean, but basic look of this stock truck, it already performs well above the other trucks I've owned in the past (67 Chevy C-10 rclb, 66 GMC C1000 rclb, 90 Silverado ecsb). With some decent mods, I think I will really like this truck for many years to come. Soon I will be browsing and searching the forum for all kinds of tips, tricks, how-tos and ideas, as I have for many years on my previous projects. But here is a list of things I'd like to look into doing, in no particular order.

22" wheels
      2/4 or 3/5 drop, sway bar upgrade
      painted bumpers
      LT fog lights
      custom grill or maybe paint the nice stocker
      CAI, exhaust, tuner
      supercharger, and/or 6.2 swap, down the road
      heated, auto dimming mirrors
      LT dash and steering wheel swap
      remote start
      Alpine 11 head unit and backup camera
      Denali sun visors
      different bedline, probably spray-on
      rear fender well liners (has front but no rear)
      lots of misc touches

For those interested, my current other rides are

2017 EBR 1190SX (1 of only 10 in strike yellow), lots of mods
      1995 Buell S2, red, loads of mods
      2000 Buell M2, silver, lots of mods
      2014 Toyota Prius C four, Habanero Orange (wife's car)

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      1-11-2018
      Four Wheeler Magazine has chosen the 2018 Chevrolet Colorado as its pick for Four Wheeler Pickup Truck of the Year. The Colorado certainly deserves the win, but given the publication’s rules, it seems like it was snuck in. The group says its picks for Four Wheel truck of the year “…was determined by a weeklong, invitation-only competition open to all-new or significantly revised pickup trucks for the upcoming model year.” The Colorado ZR2 is was introduced in 2017 as a 2017 model year truck and is not scheduled to receive any major (or minor) changes in 2018. Hmm. We reached out to Four Wheeler Editor, Sean Holman, who was glad to help explain. Sean tells us that the 2017 Colorado missed the cutoff for the last POTY award due to its late introduction and therefore eligible. Automakers' crazy model and calendar year combos are the reason. Last year, the Raptor won.  

Four Wheeler Editor Ken Brubaker commented on the ZR2’s win, saying, “The ZR2 takes the capable Colorado platform to a new level with a dizzying array of modifications including front and rear electric differential lockers, Multimatic Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve shocks, a 2-inch-taller ride height, 3.5-inch-wider track width, additional skidplating, 31-inch tires, and many more off-road-centric goodies. The result is a truck that is willing and able to conquer terrain that would leave most other trucks behind.”

The ZR2 was pitted against just two other trucks for the title this year, the Ram 1500 Harvest Edition, Ram 3500 Cummins turbodiesel. Read the full story at Four Wheeler. 

• By Bob291
      Looking for a gun safe to fit inside the console or under the back seat small storage area of a 2017 Chevy Colorado.

Any suggestions or ideas on products?