Creating LTZ Z71 to tow Max trailer weight

The only way to get Max Trailer Package is with the LTZ 1500 SILVERADO. But the honeycomb Grill is horrible looking. Especially with all the Chrome.

I very much like the color matching of the Z71.... I know you cannot order an LTZ Z71 with the max trailering package. But has anyone ever modded or made the LTZ Z71 to pull a Max trailering?

The LTZ with the max trailering package can pull approximately 12,000 lb, what would you have to do to get the LTZ Z71 to pull approximately 12000 pounds. I would be getting the LTZ Z71 with the 6.2 engine and 8-speed transmission.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a Max Trailer and swap the grille, headlights and bumper. Or if you like the chrome, just swap the grille for an LT black insert grille.

Much cheaper than swapping your gears, radiator, rear springs, 4 shocks, etc.

Easier and less coin to get color matched grille, bumpers, etc on a Max Tow than trying to get different rear end, gear ratio, rear leafs, etc on a Z71.

If I had a trailer that was over about 6000 lbs I pulled regularly, I'd get a 2500. In fact, when I did pull horses in a 7500 gross wt trailer, i bought a 2500. Brakes, suspension, transmission, tires, etc., are all going to last longer.

If I were to swap the LTZ Grill and headlights, and bumper to the LTZ Z71 color match Grill, bumper and headlights will it fit just fine? Is it quite easy to order a color matching set from GM

I have considered the 2500 with a 6.0 gas engine. The mpg seems not as good as the 1500. I would only be Towing 4 or five times a year.

Even at that low of usage, I just would not tow a 12K lb trailer with a 1500. Remember, a 1500 comes with P rated (car) tires. It just sounds like you're pushing the envelope too far.

Even at that low of usage, I just would not tow a 12K lb trailer with a 1500. Remember, a 1500 comes with P rated (car) tires. It just sounds like you're pushing the envelope too far.

My 1500 is rated to pull that weight according to GM but I agree with you that I seems to be inviting trouble. I would do it if I had to but only if it was local.. Never a long trip or through any steep hills or mountains.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

My 1500 is rated to pull that weight according to GM but I agree with you that I seems to be inviting trouble. I would do it if I had to but only if it was local.. Never a long trip or through any steep hills or mountains.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Why? If Chevrolet states that It can tow 12,000 lb, why isn't it safe?

Archived