Just an Observation.......

I had a 2004 Silverado 2500 (nonHD) for many years until the rust worm started to show it's ugly face. Had the 6.0, 300 horse. Bit the bullet and purchased a 2016 2500 HD for the additional HP for towing. The old truck had seats that felt like a favorite sofa, had a firm but very comfortable ride and towed my crap but really needed more HP. Wasn't 16 feet tall so I could actually work in the engine compartment and wash the roof by hand. My new truck has the HP I needed but the ride quality is poor even with tire pressure set at 50 unloaded, the seats are hard as a rock, can't wash without a ladder and forget about working under the hood without a lift creeper. My opinion.......new doesn't necessarily mean better.......2016 Chevy.......MEH.......Other brands offer the same so not a slam on Chevy per se.........

Just my $.02, but your 04 being essentially a "heavy half-ton" would have rode nicer than a equal year 2500HD or 3500HD; not to mention the different wheel/ tire sizes, etc, so comparing it to 12 year newer legit 3/4 ton is going to be appreciably different.

It's really important tha the truck sit two feet off the ground because looking tough is more importand the functionallity. Wait, does that stance actually look tough? Not so much. IMHO. :nopity:

While I agree with your sentiment whole-heartily, they wouldn't make the trucks if people didn't buy them.......consumerist economy and all that.

What size wheels do you have 18" or 20"? Just wondering if any of it has to do with reduced sidewall if you have the 20s.

Absolutely can make a difference. My '12 with the 20's is night/ day difference from the 17's I run in the winter.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my $.02, but your 04 being essentially a "heavy half-ton" would have rode nicer than a equal year 2500HD or 3500HD; not to mention the different wheel/ tire sizes, etc, so comparing it to 12 year newer legit 3/4 ton is going to be appreciably different.

While I agree with your sentiment whole-heartily, they wouldn't make the trucks if people didn't buy them.......consumerist economy and all that.

Absolutely can make a difference. My '12 with the 20's is night/ day difference from the 17's I run in the winter.

His "heavy halfton" was the same truck as the 2500HD and 3500, same leaf springs and chassis, the frame was lighter from the cab back and it received the semi floater 14bolt. It used the same 8-bolt wheels as the HD's as well. So he is comparing a legit '04 HD to a '16 HD.

The trucks have progressed forward, much better chassis, much bigger/more powerful brakes, much stiffer/beefier frame. While the new trucks are stupid tall for no reason I will take the safety the newer chassis provides.

His "heavy halfton" was the same truck as the 2500HD and 3500, same leaf springs and chassis, the frame was lighter from the cab back and it received the semi floater 14bolt. It used the same 8-bolt wheels as the HD's as well. So he is comparing a legit '04 HD to a '16 HD.

The trucks have progressed forward, much better chassis, much bigger/more powerful brakes, much stiffer/beefier frame. While the new trucks are stupid tall for no reason I will take the safety the newer chassis provides.

I guess I didn't realize how much was in common between the LD and HD. Regarding the LD: I was under the impression the whole frame was lighter, as well as lighter duty springs compared to a HD. I knew they had the semi float with 8 lug axles, but you could get the same axle in some half tons also (albeit 6 lug wheels, of course).

I guess I didn't realize how much was in common between the LD and HD. Regarding the LD: I was under the impression the whole frame was lighter, as well as lighter duty springs compared to a HD. I knew they had the semi float with 8 lug axles, but you could get the same axle in some half tons also (albeit 6 lug wheels, of course).

The 6-lug 14 bolt semi floater you are referring to was used on the 2500 light duty that came out in '88?-'95? Never used on the half ton.

Don't take my typing out of context as I don't mean to sound like a ****, the only reason I know this is because I had a '94 2500LD and a 2000 2500, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't really know or care about them.

The 2500HD became a HD as GM needed the transmission clearance for the Allison so they added a 2in. body lift to clear it, kept the frame the same size the whole way back and used the full floater 14 bolt and 11.5 AAM axle. Good trucks in their day.

Again just having a bullshit conversation here, no harm.

The 6-lug 14 bolt semi floater you are referring to was used on the 2500 light duty that came out in '88?-'95? Never used on the half ton.

Don't take my typing out of context as I don't mean to sound like a ****, the only reason I know this is because I had a '94 2500LD and a 2000 2500, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't really know or care about them.

The 2500HD became a HD as GM needed the transmission clearance for the Allison so they added a 2in. body lift to clear it, kept the frame the same size the whole way back and used the full floater 14 bolt and 11.5 AAM axle. Good trucks in their day.

No worries feller. I wasn't perceiving any tone. You have further educated me on GM drivetrains. I like learning about stuff, old and new.

Mine sits on 18s, stock everything, I like the tall ride height, most of the reason I bought it. Cranked the torsion bars, haul 1000 lbs of tools, and put on a 220 lbs front bumper, didn't faze it one bit.

Several years ago a female automotive writer in 1 of our papers discussed this. Her 1st truck was an early 80s Dodge. She said ever since then trucks have gotten taller w/ no real benefit. At work we were concerned when the box side of the soon to be intro'd (@ the time) GMT900 had box sides that were 2" taller than the GMT800 we were building. I was afraid that GM was going for the "truck has been on its roof" look that Ford used to style the F150 of the day.

The finished GMT900 didn't look as bad, but other than allowing me to fit a genny under a lid, what benefit does a taller box side provide? It's not like you're going to be able to load a lot more sand or gravel in it.

Ford over the years has progressively made the front end of the SD more massive (for whatever reason)

https://car-pictures.cars.com/images/?IMG=CAB00FOT128B0103.jpg&HEIGHT=600

https://file.kbb.com/kbb/vehicleimage/evoxseo/cp/l/10502/2016-ford-f-250%20sd-front_10502_032_640x480_yz.png

I guess it's for people that what to pretend they're driving a HUGE truck.

Then the othe OEMs go into the monkey see, monkey do mode.

I had a 2000 GMC 2500, I'm pretty sure that was the year before the HD was intro'd. I do recall the improvements of the HD frame. Never really had a chance to do a side by side comparison of the 2000 & a newer HD. Sold it after 4 years & got an '04 2500HD.

What size wheels do you have 18" or 20"? Just wondering if any of it has to do with reduced sidewall if you have the 20s.

18's......With 20's I would have to be on oxygen for the high altitude.......Another down side that is kind of a big deal........on my 04 I had a 3 inch bump in the roof of my fiberglass cap which made for more storage and easier to get inside and move around. On my 16 I have to have a level cap to get into the garage. The opening is smaller and at my age forget about hunching over while inside to move stuff around. Have to scootch around on my knees and that requires on of those bed cushions.

• 2 months later...

just bought a 2017 hd2500 gas and sold my 2004 2500hd duramax. there is 4inches height difference, a lot stiffer ride. seats are hard like a rock. are all these changes for the better. i hate my new truck. gm is going backwards.they are following the othe manufactures. why not be a leader. and make a truck that is easy to get into. that has plush seats and doesnt break your back. whats even worse ,when i bought my 2004 i retired a 94 2500 light duty. it had issues but was 6 inches lower than the 2004. for a long time i hated crawling in an out of the 2004, but got used to it. the 94 had the best seats. now from 94 to 2017 they cant even make better seats? wheres the progress were supposed to see? the new truck is full of electronics that we will not ever use. everything is switched by a computer. no manuals switches and timed. how many of you out there are tired of this new and confused options.why do we need a stepladder to get in our vehicles or to even reach in the truck bed. ive got a 2007 slide in pickup camper. didn't fit in the 2017 , spent 2 days cutting and reshaping it so I could use it and had to put 2 sheets of plywood under it so it would clear the raised sides of the box. try taking the tailgate off? you have to take the spare out to get the camera wire loose. engineers, what are you thinking? Enough complaining. hope some one reads this that can doo something. otherwise stuck driving the new and improved JUNK.

just bought a 2017 hd2500 gas and sold my 2004 2500hd duramax. there is 4inches height difference, a lot stiffer ride. seats are hard like a rock. are all these changes for the better. i hate my new truck. gm is going backwards.they are following the othe manufactures. why not be a leader. and make a truck that is easy to get into. that has plush seats and doesnt break your back. whats even worse ,when i bought my 2004 i retired a 94 2500 light duty. it had issues but was 6 inches lower than the 2004. for a long time i hated crawling in an out of the 2004, but got used to it. the 94 had the best seats. now from 94 to 2017 they cant even make better seats? wheres the progress were supposed to see? the new truck is full of electronics that we will not ever use. everything is switched by a computer. no manuals switches and timed. how many of you out there are tired of this new and confused options.why do we need a stepladder to get in our vehicles or to even reach in the truck bed. ive got a 2007 slide in pickup camper. didn't fit in the 2017 , spent 2 days cutting and reshaping it so I could use it and had to put 2 sheets of plywood under it so it would clear the raised sides of the box. try taking the tailgate off? you have to take the spare out to get the camera wire loose. engineers, what are you thinking? Enough complaining. hope some one reads this that can doo something. otherwise stuck driving the new and improved JUNK.

Why didn't you look for a clean '05-'07 GM HD truck to replace your '04?

I agree with all of your complaints and agree the '99-'07 GM HD trucks were the best there ever was. I do like the frame and brakes on the '11+ though.

I seen a clean '07 old body style yesterday and it reminded me how much I liked those trucks.

Archived