Does it bother you when trucks are optioned a "wierd" way?

If there's an option package, weird or not, someone will buy it eventually.

I hear ya though. I bought a Camaro in 2010 and got the SS. Why would I want anything less at that point? Drives me nuts when I see people in Mustangs or Camaro's or whatever other spots car and it's a base model. It's like they are saying "Hey, look at me, I own a __________! But nobody will ever know it's the base model."

Then again, to each their own. If you like it and it's in your budget, then fill your boots.

And I'm one of them. Bought a '15 Camaro LS leftover stripper with chin splitter and Ralleye stripes as only options using rebates and GM bucks topoff for $18K even including tax and tags out the door. Seems dealer couldn't unload that stripper combo and fit my needs as a play toy to regain the feeling of my old Camaro. Added a spoiler and fogs for under $500. and except for the headlights look identical to a $45K vehicle.....added LS badge on the rear to discourage kids.....gave up street racing 30 years ago. Didn't need a powerful V8 to go blasting through the deserted back roads with hills and hairpin turns, kicking the hell out of that V6 and crap Jap 6 spd were all the fun I needed. Basically a cheap, uncomfortable piece of crap compared to the '69 R/T 302 V8 with 4 spd Hurst. No good for regular everyday driving because it attracted every cop in 2 Counties like I was driving a 1 -1/2 ton jelly donut.

Fun while it lasted..traded 6 months later and received $20.5K trade for a new '16 Malibu 2.0T, a more suitable grocery getter..ahead almost $3K on the deal and the envy of every teen in the development. Traded Camaro had less than 1,500 miles but knowing what baby went through in its short life is the main reason I'd never buy a used vehicle, especially a "sports car" or any new vehicle with over three digits on the odometer.

post-156616-0-33209100-1500304705_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't care what anyone else spends their money on, because it's a "no win" situation.

I can afford pretty much any vehicle, and have bought some fairly optioned V6 cars in recent years. (sorry to anger some of you apparently)

1. I bought a 2014 4.3l V6 Silverado LT2, Z71, All Star, that also had step tubes, tonneau, bedliner. Why? Because I got it for close to $30K and I replaced my 5 year old 150hp fishing boat that year for another $30K. So I replaced my 2010 5.3l LT and my 2009 boat for $60K. and got a new truck and a new boat instead of a bigger engine and leather seats. The 4.3l pulled my 2500lb boat easily, and on E85 was easily as fast as the 2010 5.3L I had. I've bought three more 5.3l trucks since then with varying levels of options, but I would do a 4.3l again for the right deal. Don't need more tow power than it offers and I don't care about speed.

2. Bought my teenager a loaded Challenger SXT + with the V6. Wanted him to have a nice car to drive, specifically didn't want him to have a balls out fast car to drive as a new driver. Don't care if he ever does honestly, I get raped bad enough on insurance as it is. (and I care more about his safety than if he can win drag races)

Factory options don't bother me, but some of the aftermarket choices people make does even though I know it's none of my business. Particularly that cheap plasti-chrome all around the windows and panel lines. I just don't get it. Or the fake, stick on fender vents or hood scoops. And the GTI I saw with VTEC badges.

I love these types of conversations......some people like to look good and some people like to go fast....and some people like both! Some people like the lifted with huge tires rugged look....I for one just want to be fast and sound good so I bought the 6.2L and put a Corsa on it and it does both very well.

I had a '67 mustang with a 302...a bit hopped up. When I sold it, one guy wanted to put a 6 in it for better fuel mileage. I didn't agree, but hey, if he would have bought it, who cares? Some people like the look, but don't want the speed, and care more about mpg. The new v6 engines put out some power.

I had a '67 mustang with a 302...a bit hopped up. When I sold it, one guy wanted to put a 6 in it for better fuel mileage. I didn't agree, but hey, if he would have bought it, who cares? Some people like the look, but don't want the speed, and care more about mpg. The new v6 engines put out some power.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-camaro-v-6-automatic-review

With a 5.2 second 0-60 time the V6 Camaro will beat every 8 cylinder truck GM sells.

300hp V6s are basically the small block V8s of modern times and small block V8s putting out power once reserved for big blocks.

I don't get swapping the engine on 302 Mustang though, cars like that are meant to be preserved as they were back in the day.

I had a '73 ElCamino, non SS. But was equipped with 350 4spd, Guages, Swivel buckets and A/C.

It was painted beige, woodgrain center band and tan interior.

It was a great car, and fast.

But very odd.............

This is a very interesting topic. I bought my 2017 LTZ Z71 with the 5.3. Not really interested in going fast or looking good, but heated leather seats and heated steering wheel is awesome. I bought the Z71 to get the 8 speed transmission because it is really nice for my travel trailer.

I find it interesting but it doesn't bother me. I judge people regardless so what do I know. What actually does bother me is the fact that I can't configure a truck the way I want it. What's the point of "building" a truck if I can't get exactly what I want and not be forced to get things I don't want. Maybe I want leather seats and the base/work model hard plastic floors? Like people said we're just going to cover them with floor mats anyway lol

Interesting some of the things y'all have said. I grew up with my parents buying brand new base model cars with very little-no options. They cost the same as a used vehicle plus it came with a warranty and was brand new, and a base model meant nothing to break. Then they keep the car for 15 years before buying a new one. I have the same mindset where I buy something with every consideration for also making it last at least 10 years, however I drive way more and in much harder conditions and work my vehicles much harder than my parents ever did, so I don't think I could ever justify having bells and whistles on a vehicle.

I hear you on the weird optioning, but I typically like a lot of the oddly optioned trucks. There was a 2wd truck I oogled for a while as well, it was a really nicely optioned Rally Edition 1, it had the nice wheels, Rally package, a real bedliner, and some other neat items - but it was a work truck trim model. I initially wanted one with "all the things" like a LTZ Z71, just for the sake of getting the biggest baddest of the bunch. But at the end of the day, I hate leather, the Z71 package really isn't worth the cost dealers charge, and I dislike fixing electronics on vehicles I plan to keep for a long time. Once I boiled it down all I really needed or wanted was a black CCSB 4x4 with those nice 5 spoke 20s.

That meant for me, the Texas edition LT 4x4 was just right. All the functionality and capability of the top end models is there, it has the trailering package, and towing capacity is more than I need. The one thing I was a bit torn on, was the Texas editions don't seem to have the center console option, which ended up being a blessing. I can use the top arm rest storage for cords and my wallet, cellphone, etc. The bottom is more than big enough for my laptop and other items I'll have on trips, then without the console in the way, there is plenty of room in front of the jump seat for my pack to sit right where it is easily accessible.

I'm not the pickiest of customers though, I've never had to get a vehicle ordered or traded from another dealer, and they always have something I ended up really attached to. But this is Texas, there is no shortage of Chevy/GMC dealers just a short trip from the house. TONS of inventory to pick from.

For me, a truck or muscle car should have the V8 as the first upgrade before anything else, and that's coming from me who is perfectly fine with a V6 truck. I use my powertrain every time I drive my vehicle, everything else is secondary because I may not use it as often.

I totally agree with you that the way the options are grouped is annoying, just like cable tv channels.

I would have bought a Crew Cab WT with snow plow prep, 4x4, remote start and heated seats (wife's request only). Unfortunately that combination does not exist- no plow prep on crew cabs.

So I had to settle for the most options I wanted- I ended up with a Z71 All-Star because it was on the lot and only a couple hundred more than if I ordered a truck without the All-Star package.

I like to pay for a vehicle and keep it from 5-10 years. So for me, it is totally useless to pay for electronics and gadgets that will be obsolete by the time the warranty expires. Nav, phone connectivity, "entertainment" centers, parking sensors, vibrating seats, extra chrome all are useless extras that I would prefer not to pay for. But I am in the minority, so I am forced to settle on what the dealer buys. I bought near the end of the model year, so I was content with the price. My dealer had dozens of Z-71 4x4's on the lot because that's what they sell.

I totally agree with you that the way the options are grouped is annoying, just like cable tv channels.

I would have bought a Crew Cab WT with snow plow prep, 4x4, remote start and heated seats (wife's request only). Unfortunately that combination does not exist- no plow prep on crew cabs.

So I had to settle for the most options I wanted- I ended up with a Z71 All-Star because it was on the lot and only a couple hundred more than if I ordered a truck without the All-Star package.

I like to pay for a vehicle and keep it from 5-10 years. So for me, it is totally useless to pay for electronics and gadgets that will be obsolete by the time the warranty expires. Nav, phone connectivity, "entertainment" centers, parking sensors, vibrating seats, extra chrome all are useless extras that I would prefer not to pay for. But I am in the minority, so I am forced to settle on what the dealer buys. I bought near the end of the model year, so I was content with the price. My dealer had dozens of Z-71 4x4's on the lot because that's what they sell.

Now, a WT with the Z71 package....that would be sweet

Archived