Does it bother you when trucks are optioned a "wierd" way?

Base models have many features that were options many years ago. A configuration that may seem weird to one person may not seem weird to another. I have a pretty well optioned truck (leather, 4X4 etc.) but I have the base engine. This base engine is the second most powerful engine I've had in the more than a dozen pickups that I've owned!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a '67 mustang with a 302...a bit hopped up. When I sold it, one guy wanted to put a 6 in it for better fuel mileage. I didn't agree, but hey, if he would have bought it, who cares? Some people like the look, but don't want the speed, and care more about mpg. The new v6 engines put out some power.

Maybe he just didn't like the way the high lift cams in the 302s rocked the car and rattled the teeth at idle while waiting for a light. Chicks would complain all the time.....until you popped the clutch, smoked the rear tires and worked the Hurst through the lower gears.....then all they could do was grab the door handle and scream.

Maybe he just didn't like the way the high lift cams in the 302s rocked the car and rattled the teeth at idle while waiting for a light. Chicks would complain all the time.....until you popped the clutch, smoked the rear tires and worked the Hurst through the lower gears.....then all they could do was grab the door handle and scream.

Haha, possibly. Dude straight up said he liked he look, but wanted a fuel efficient vehicle. I told him it wasn't the car for him. However, one of those new turbo v6 ford engines might be a neat swap. They have plenty of power now. I sold that mustang back in '02-03....it did have a higher lift cam, rattled everything on that car. Hit the throttle and it would twist a good bit. Had a built c4 with 2500 stall...i think. Been a while.

Now, a WT with the Z71 package....that would be sweet

Actually that combo exists, but you'll probably never see one, I don't even know if any dealer knows how to order it, plus it has to be either a fleet order or the special service vehicle.

The RPO code is 9G3 instead of Z71, and you don't get Z71 decals or the downhill descent control.......

9G3 - Suspension Package, off-road, for base decor vehicles

Requires 4WD. Includes Z71 Off Road Suspension components, recovery hooks, (K47) high capacity air cleaner and (NZZ) transfer case shield on 4WD. Does not include any "Z71" appearance features or (JHD) Hill Descent Control.

Requires (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, (RC3) P265/70R17 all-terrain blackwall tires, (RI8) 18" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 265/65R18 SL 114S blackwall MT tires with aggressive tire tread, or (RC5) LT265/70R17C all-terrain, blackwall tires.

Actually that combo exists, but you'll probably never see one, I don't even know if any dealer knows how to order it, plus it has to be either a fleet order or the special service vehicle.

The RPO code is 9G3 instead of Z71, and you don't get Z71 decals or the downhill descent control.......

9G3 - Suspension Package, off-road, for base decor vehicles

Requires 4WD. Includes Z71 Off Road Suspension components, recovery hooks, (K47) high capacity air cleaner and (NZZ) transfer case shield on 4WD. Does not include any "Z71" appearance features or (JHD) Hill Descent Control.

Requires (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, (RC3) P265/70R17 all-terrain blackwall tires, (RI8) 18" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 265/65R18 SL 114S blackwall MT tires with aggressive tire tread, or (RC5) LT265/70R17C all-terrain, blackwall tires.

1. How do you know about my dream truck haha

2. Would you know where to start on how to order it? I've never gotten a good answer on how a random induvidual like me can order "fleet" options. A double cab V8 with this package in Forest Service green would be my next truck tomorrow if I could make it happen.

1. How do you know about my dream truck haha

2. Would you know where to start on how to order it? I've never gotten a good answer on how a random induvidual like me can order "fleet" options. A double cab V8 with this package in Forest Service green would be my next truck tomorrow if I could make it happen.

1. I'm a parts manager at a Chevy dealership, I sometimes help order and spec out new trucks for people that want specific options or items.

2. It has to be a fleet order, which shouldn't be an issue for most dealers, our sister dealership does fleet orders all the time for the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny Co., along with surrounding cities/counties/municipalities. You can get Woodland Green as an SEO special order option, RPO code "9V5".......

9V5 - Paints, solid, Woodland Green

All normally body colored non-sheet metal parts will be Black. May require extended lead time. Door handles and mirrors will be grain Black. Deletes standard/packaged body side moldings.

1 - Requires (TGK) Special Paint and (01U) Special Paint.

I have a loaded Camaro with a v6. Here's my reasoning. I wanted a rwd, reasonably efficient, fun, manual trans car to daily drive in the summer and keep the miles off my truck. I don't need another gas guzzling v8, my Sierra 6.2 does enough of that. Camaro is 323 horses and gets almost 30mpg, and I drive it like I stole it. I drive close to 25k miles a year between the 2 vehicles, about 12k on each. I don't drive the Camaro November-February. If I keep it out of the winter salt, I figure I'll still be driving it 20 years from now, while I'll buy a new truck every 5 years probably.

Base models have many features that were options many years ago. A configuration that may seem weird to one person may not seem weird to another. I have a pretty well optioned truck (leather, 4X4 etc.) but I have the base engine. This base engine is the second most powerful engine I've had in the more than a dozen pickups that I've owned!

Most people seem to conveniently forget the current 4.3l is pretty equivalent to the old 4.8l V8, and only 10% below the old 5.3l and that it delivers that power at similar RPMs. (and that on E85 you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the new 4.3 and old 5.3)

Base engine has plenty of power to move the truck and tow what 90% of people tow. (Small boats, snowmobiles, ATVs and the like)

I have a loaded Camaro with a v6. Here's my reasoning. I wanted a rwd, reasonably efficient, fun, manual trans car to daily drive in the summer and keep the miles off my truck. I don't need another gas guzzling v8, my Sierra 6.2 does enough of that. Camaro is 323 horses and gets almost 30mpg, and I drive it like I stole it. I drive close to 25k miles a year between the 2 vehicles, about 12k on each. I don't drive the Camaro November-February. If I keep it out of the winter salt, I figure I'll still be driving it 20 years from now, while I'll buy a new truck every 5 years probably.

How DARE you pretend to have a real Camaro and.....yeah. V6 sport coupes and trucks these days are good, usable cars. V6 sport coupes and trucks in the 70s and 80s were always in danger of getting passed by kids on bikes.

How DARE you pretend to have a real Camaro and.....yeah. V6 sport coupes and trucks these days are good, usable cars. V6 sport coupes and trucks in the 70s and 80s were always in danger of getting passed by kids on bikes.

My Colorado had a 2.5L 4 cyl with 200hp/191 tq. These numbers are about the same as my buddy's 1994 k1500 with a 350. With a modern 6 speed and the 4:10's it had I'm sure it was quicker and could haul more.

1. I'm a parts manager at a Chevy dealership, I sometimes help order and spec out new trucks for people that want specific options or items.

2. It has to be a fleet order, which shouldn't be an issue for most dealers, our sister dealership does fleet orders all the time for the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny Co., along with surrounding cities/counties/municipalities. You can get Woodland Green as an SEO special order option, RPO code "9V5".......

9V5 - Paints, solid, Woodland Green

All normally body colored non-sheet metal parts will be Black. May require extended lead time. Door handles and mirrors will be grain Black. Deletes standard/packaged body side moldings.

1 - Requires (TGK) Special Paint and (01U) Special Paint.

I guess if this is what I ask for at a dealership and they say no, or try to sell me something off the lot I just walk away with a comment about them not liking money I guess lol. The plastic parts being black don't bother me, only thing I would want is 4x4 and a double cab, and I would like the V8 if possible. Thanks man, you're lifting my spirits haha.

I actually get a kick out of "weirdly" optioned vehicles. I had a '92 S-10 Blazer that had almost all of the options available back then, but with a 5 spd. manual sticking out of the floor. Cool little ride, and no chance of it getting stolen!

My biggest problem these days is that you can't order a truck the way you want it. I just turned in my '14 Rally 2 Edition, and got a '17 LT Z71 Redline Edition. Very nice truck, but I really would have liked the ability to get that same truck with some of the heavy duty towing options available with other packages. I don't want a truck I'm not as drawn to just to get the 6.2, 3:73 rear-end, or towing mirrors. Why can't we go down the option sheet, and order exactly what we want like my parents did 30 years ago? Obviously the parts are compatible because they fit other trucks with only cosmetic differences...sooo

My Colorado had a 2.5L 4 cyl with 200hp/191 tq. These numbers are about the same as my buddy's 1994 k1500 with a 350. With a modern 6 speed and the 4:10's it had I'm sure it was quicker and could haul more.

Yep.

Base model 4.3l engine offers small block V8 power from past decades. My last five trucks before the 2014 4.3l:

1997 F250 4.6l V8 - 210hp/290ft lbs

2001 Ram 5.9l V8- 245hp/335 ft lbs

2002 Silverado 5.3l V8- 285hp/320ft lbs

2005 Silverado 5.3l V8- 295hp/335ft lbs

2010 Silverado 5.3l V8- 315hp/335ft lbs

2104 Silverado 4.3l V8- 285hp/305ft lbs on E10, 297hp/330ft lbs on E85

The current V6 is comparable to the small block V8s I was driving for the 17 years before. When I was driving those five trucks I wasn't saying,"Why has Detroit cursed me with these horribly underpowered small block V8s??!! If only they would make a V8 with 355hp and 380ft lbs torque!! It's not even worth driving these slugs!!".

I buy trucks to haul my fishing and hunting gear, get around off road, tow my 2500lb boats and all six of those vehicles handled those tasks easily. If I wanted a fast or sporty car I wouldn't drive pick up trucks.

A little different than what most of you are taking about but I just recently traded my '14 1500 6.2L in for a '17 2500 Duramax and it has the High Country package but someone decided to go in and actually delete the 6" assist steps standard on the High country and add 4" round ones at the dealer. Now I see doing this for a custom order but as I wanted the 6" it was frustrating not to have them included and just be another part of the negotiating process that I shouldn't have had to deal with.

YES. My truck was sitting on the lot with an awesome paint ( Tungsten Metallic), black bowties, the Z71 package, sunroof, rear window slider, 6.2, 8 speed, LTZ, Bose, basically all the good stuff, yet it had the ugliest and most out of place looking 18" wheels. I couldn't even bare to look at it. I ordered aftermarket wheels and stuck the stockers on craigslist the same day I purchased the truck. Why it wasn't ordered with some nice 20's blew my mind.

Archived