6.2 exhaust (sub 600)

Well I took the plunge and ordered the mbrp. 430 shipped is hard to beat for a full exhaust.

I shall be the Guinea pig!

I figured if it's too loud it'll be easier to take off and and sell and add a muffler to the stock system, rather than hacking up the stock system to start.

We are waiting ever so patently for the verdict... And a video. Did you install it yet???

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddie its the other way around inlet is offset and outlet centered. A competent muffler/exhaust shop should be able to make it work just fine buy YMMV. A 12909 is almost a direct replacement for the stock muffler and flapper valve. By measuring carefully the shop I use was able to cut off the old and weld up new muffler in place.

We are waiting ever so patently for the verdict... And a video. Did you install it yet???

I guess it drop shipped from mbrp... So it's actually supposed to arrive today.

The truck goes in for the transmission shake on Monday. So it might be next weekend till it goes on.

I plan on cutting the stock exhaust right at the flapper so if it is too loud... I can add the magnaflow 12909 right in.

Does the muffler have to be centered for inlet and offset for outlet? or can we use Magnaflow 14151 where the outlet is centered.

The muffler shop fit offset - offset Flowmaster 53553 just for for me.........

OEM is offset in - center out.........

post-168136-0-24133100-1501350340_thumb.jpg

post-168136-0-28920200-1501350352_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the mbrp today and I'm impressed.

Quieter than the SLP (and that was on the 5.3), almost no drone (definitely a little bit in v4 mode, and some at 68-75mph ish...but dare I say... It should even be baby friendly.

The only bad thing.... Every single clamp (minus the ball in socket Y pipe hookup), leaks. Not sure if they expanded the pipes too much (they all loosely fit and didn't slide together hard at all), or if the Clamps are bad. Ran them on with my 3/8" air impact so they're tight (lol) .

I'll probably heat cycle the new exhaust for 2 days, then loosen and retighten them to see if thy cinch down better. Otherwise Ill have to check other options.

Quieter than the SLP (and that was on the 5.3), almost no drone (definitely a little bit in v4 mode, and some at 68-75mph ish...but dare I say... It should even be baby friendly.

The only bad thing.... Every single clamp (minus the ball in socket Y pipe hookup), leaks. Not sure if they expanded the pipes too much (they all loosely fit and didn't slide together hard at all), or if the Clamps are bad. Ran them on with my 3/8" air impact so they're tight (lol) .

I'll probably heat cycle the new exhaust for 2 days, then loosen and retighten them to see if thy cinch down better. Otherwise Ill have to check other options.

Simply have a muffler shop weld all the joints.......

Hopefully it works out. Looking forward to a sound clip.

I was looking at Gibson exhaust for my 2017 6.2 but I noticed that the muffler is 3" in /out or 3" in / dual 2.25" out but comes with 3.5" pipes. What's up with that? Anybody else notice this or have one? The single in / single out metal mulisha kit has a 4" muffler but it is too loud for my taste.

I was looking at Gibson exhaust for my 2017 6.2 but I noticed that the muffler is 3" in /out or 3" in / dual 2.25" out but comes with 3.5" pipes. What's up with that? Anybody else notice this or have one? The single in / single out metal mulisha kit has a 4" muffler but it is too loud for my taste.

I would not sweat it - they all flow well enough. OEM is 3.5" before the muffler but 3.0" after the muffler on my 6.2L...........

:driving:

I run this exhaust on my truck: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N696RWP?m=A3T5F0AY60YFYJ&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

I didn't use the muffler, and swapped in this Dynomax: http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultra-flo-welded-mufflers/ultra-flotm-welded-centered-centered.html

Sounds awesome, it's all stainless, and was cheap!

Ran them on with my 3/8" air impact so they're tight (lol) .

you may have crushed the pipe a little and caused the leak by mistake, seen that happen many times\

so overall you don't find it too loud?

Ran them on with my 3/8" air impact so they're tight (lol) .

you may have crushed the pipe a little and caused the leak by mistake, seen that happen many times\

so overall you don't find it too loud?

No I ratcheted tightened. It was just so loose the slip over is still loose.

The cold start and idle is incredibly loud. Easily louder than the SLP. However the cruise is much quieter. I'm not sure if this is the byproduct of the exhaust, or if it's more a longer wheelbase, or if it has something to do with the Bose ANC.

I run this exhaust on my truck: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N696RWP?m=A3T5F0AY60YFYJ&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

I didn't use the muffler, and swapped in this Dynomax: http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultra-flo-welded-mufflers/ultra-flotm-welded-centered-centered.html

Sounds awesome, it's all stainless, and was cheap!

How did this exhaust fit? I might do this in order to prevent future arguments with the wife. Eye for an eye in my house so if I don't spend too much neither will she in retaliation... I can only imagine the damage if I bought a Borla kit.

Archived