Krown undercoating. Good idea or bad?

Bought a new 17 sierra elevation couple months ago. Truck will definitely see salt in the coming winter. Have always had previous vehicles krowned annually. Wondering if it is still a good idea with the wax coating on the chassis? Would like to do something to help combat rust.

Do you plan on keeping the vehicle long enough to matter? If not don't waste the money as nothing will actually stop corrosion.

It can certainly impede the progress of rust, if a good oil/wax spray is properly applied and on a regular basis.

If done properly each spring or summer, it will allow an owner to at least double the lifespan of a vehicle, if not more. Most people do oil spraying in the fall just before winter, but that's actually not a good time to do it, as the vehicle will be more likely to be damp underneath.

Better to give it a good cleaning underneath in the spring & remove any residual salt accumulations, get it dried out, then recoated with undercoating.

IMO, better materials should be used in the vehicles sold in the salt belt, so that rust doesn't eat them up.

Won't work, who would ever buy something new if everything lasted forever?

You don't seem to understand the human ego very well. ;)

They don't have to last forever. They just need to last a realistic amount of time for the investment. People already get that (in a defacto way) in certain southern and western states. Why shouldn't the rest of us get that?

Spending 50-60k on a truck and having it rust out inside of 10 years is not a good value proposition to the buyer.

I'd pay a bit extra to have rust resistant metals used below the beltline, including all frame and chassis components.

Regardless of how long a vehicle can last, as long as manufacturers add new gizmos people will still upgrade. Look at all the people whobuy every 2-3 years in this board...which has little to do with the truck rusting out beyond use.

I'm looking into this as well. Not a fan of the Ziebart "rust proofing" but the Krown gets my attention. I plan on keeping my 2017 Silverado for -Atleast- ten years. That's the plan anyway. I know these newer vehicles have -better- rust prevention qualities than in the past but, obviously they aren't rust proof.

Just hoping to find the Krown coating isn't as -inefficient- as ziebart.

I moved from Colorado about 7 years ago to Ontario. Brought both of my vehicles with me, one a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other was a 2007 GMC Sierra. The Jeep was Krowned and looked the same as the day I brought it up here. The GMC however was Rust Checked and started rusting the same year I had it sprayed. Mind you both of these vehicles had never seen salt only gravel. I also understand two different company's and two years apart but I would say do the Krown and you wont regret it. I Just did my 2014 last month and if you are a CAA member I think its around 10% off and they also have coupons online at random times that you can also use. My father in-law has a 1984? (I think) C10 that has zero rust on it and Krowns it every 3 years. For about $130 you cant really go wrong and I think if its done within first year of purchase they warranty any rust if you do it yearly.

I paid to have the undercoating done at the dealer(ok now bring on the 'Tru-coat' jokes). It's expensive, but also comes with a 10yr warranty. (not a great 10 yr warranty, but it's something I suppose.)

I had to get the installer to do it twice, as they missed a bunch of critical areas the first time; under spare, under the plastic engine cover under the truck and a few other areas.

Now that I have a good base coat on the truck, I will add more in key areas as needed later this summer and each spring year afterwards. I have a spray gun & air compressor. I also have source for a couple of good oil spray materials; both the sticky amber and black no-drip.

I just wish I had a heated shop with a hoist and floor drain. Then I'd clean underneath the truck once a week in the winter, to get rid of the salt.

I did not opt for the dealer rust proofing as I've had good results with krown in the past. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the effects it might have on the wax chassis coating?

Archived