Brake Controller Aftermarket vs. OEM

I'm buying a 20 foot travel trailer to tow with my 2016 silverado. Mine did Not come with the factory brake controller. Would I be better off getting an aftermarket controller installed by the camping center or try to install the OEM brake controller?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm in the same position and plan to have an "oem" trailer brake controller installed at my dealer as soon as I find the right trailer. The aftermarket brake controller offered by the dealer is not the factory in dash control but is a "plug 'n play version that mounts under the dash.

Not worth the coin to try and get the OEM controller installed. Use a quality product like a Tekonsha P3 and you will not be disappointed.

The P3 and it works really well. Closest to factory controller I have experienced.

Why GM doesn't make a brake controller standard baffles me.

I have one that I no longer need if anyone is interested in buying it PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can it be installed? There are tons of guys who have tried with no success. It runs through the BCM.

Scavenge the all the parts from a donar truck and custom program the BCM. Yes it voids the truck warranty so I would not do it on an in warranty truck. There was one guy selling the package for about just under 10k or so it is a mod you really have to want. Not everyone can afford it but the people that can and are willing to pay get it.

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90885.html (might be cheaper on Amazon)

Had one of these on my Ford and like a DA, didn't take it out. Bought the same exact thing for my 2014 Sierra and had it installed in 30 minutes or less. It's plug-n-play but you have to drill two holes in your dash by your knee. That was painful, but once it's mounted it kinda disappears...I don't even notice mine anymore and I never bump it and knock it off. Works flawlessly.

Anyone that pays $10K to have the factory controller installed after the fact is truly an idiot. I was told it couldn't be added by my dealer, but either way, for $150 or less you are in business with one of the most proven brake controllers ever made.

Do you think I need a weight distribution hitch for a 20 foot single axle travel trailer? Weighs probably 3,000 to 3,200 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You shouldn't. Just be sure to load it correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also like to hear more about using a weight distribution hitch on such a small trailer. I've heard it is a good idea and I've also heard good things about having anti-sway. My main passenger can get nervous when not in the driver's seat and I want the ride while towing to be as smooth as possible!

Finding bars in that weight range may be difficult...

Should be in the 350# range...they do make bars for that as a lot of guys needed them for the E3 we owned.

Personally, I'd try without first then see if you need a WDH. Sway control can be had without WDH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You can use the smallest WD bars for a 3500lb trailer. I had a horse trailer about that weight when empty and used the WD bars all the time, 3 horses or empty. Do you need them? Probably not. Get a anti-sway damper for it. That'll slow down the quick jinks a light trailer can make.

Archived