FixitNick's Injured 2017 Silverado Z71 Build Project

FixitNick

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did the best cheapest upgrade or a downgrade if you will lol ... but anyways, found some wheels with tires on craigslist for $100 and the guy even delivered them to my house because he didnt need them. I was going to list the wheels that came with the truck anyways so i figured might as well downgrade to these cheaper wheels while im working on the truck and not putting more miles on them. I do eventually want to get 35s, just havent decided if i want 20x10 or 18x9, thats for another day :)

time to remove the seat cover take it to get repaired. Have a buddy who does this kinda work, let's see how well he does. He said I can bring the seat he will do it for $100 or remove the seat cover myself and he will do It for $50. Never removed seat covers, time to learn something new lol

Got the Seat cover back, it turned out really good, i wish everything always went so well haha. Another update coming hopefully tomorrow or so. Really cant wait to finish this truck. Found a shop guy who will repair my bottom rail section, i just now have to find the section and take it over to him to get it done, but thats the last major thing i need to do.

• 2 weeks later...
The black door and black fender have arrived. Took a while but found them in black in great shape. These are straight from the factory with some defects here and there, they were also painted at the factory. These are surplus panels, meaning they were never installed on the truck because of some defect, such as a ding, a scratch, or a paint run, could be anything that doesnt pass inspection. I list all most costs in the description section to keep track of all of my costs so you guys have an idea of how much im paying for things and how much total so far.

Got lucky and one of my friends bought a rolled over Sierra Duramax, He bought a cab from canada that he will use so he doesnt need this one, so he let me cut off the bottom rocker panel, it awesome that its in black also. I never did this a huge chop job because so i wasnt sure how long it would take, but gotta do what i gotta do, broke a bunch of cutting blades, but i need this section for my truck so gotta get it done !!!

Looks like a good project. I have rebuilt some rigs before, and its a lot of fun. Don't listen to the people that are mocking your project or saying that you got a bad deal, you did just fine. You could buy that truck brand new, and there would be plenty of people that would say your an idiot and got ripped off - because you didn't buy a Ford or some other brand they happen to prefer. There is no shortage of haters in the world. Anyway, keep us posted on the progress and let us know how it turns out.

Looks like a good project. I have rebuilt some rigs before, and its a lot of fun. Don't listen to the people that are mocking your project or saying that you got a bad deal, you did just fine. You could buy that truck brand new, and there would be plenty of people that would say your an idiot and got ripped off - because you didn't buy a Ford or some other brand they happen to prefer. There is shortage of haters in the world. Anyway, keep us posted on the progress and let us know how it turns out.

its cracks me up how some people just get triggered by silly things, oh well, its their prob, im just basically doing this build thread for those who might also want to do something similar and they get to see the progress from start to finish and how much its costing me etc.. I think my total with everything completed is around 23k or so, basically almost half of a new rig and i get to build it and enjoy fixing it up myself is well worth the "salvage title" at least i know that its well fixed since im doing it for myself ... i would never buy a salvage vehicle not seeing the before damage tho, to many liars out there, i dont mind putting this out in the open because even when i sell it they can all see the build progress and im not hiding anything.

21577168_185883048622388_463626904113512

Have been getting lots of questions about how much I got it for and how much will cost to fix. Decided to make a list of things I have done and purchased so far. Got lucky and found 4 major panels painted already factory black. Fender, doors and rocker panel. -

Here is the cost so far:

-

•Truck $16,800

•Auction fee: $700

•Dealer fee: $150

•Towing $500

•Upper control arm $60

•Front Axle $100

•New tire and mount $300

•Smog test $50

•Brake and light inspect $40

•Truck scales $10

•Alignment $50

•Seat air bag $235

•Seat belts x2 $150

•Different Wheels/Tires $100

•Seat cover repair $50

•Fender black $350

•Rear door black $350

•Freight cost $100

•Rocker panel $200

•Front door $350

•Freight cost $150

•Rocker panel install $750

•Roof airbags $1,100

•Sold wheels - $1,600

-

Current Total: $21,045

-

I sold the fuel wheels that came with the truck for $1,600 so that puts me at Total of $21,045. I don't need to buy anything else major at the moment, feel really blessed with this truck. Once it's 100% completed I'll start doing upgrades to the truck to make it exactly how i have it pictured in my mind.

Feel free to follow me on Instagram if you like

Any idea on the number of man-hours put into it?

Not being a smartass, I just want to know. :)

honestly not sure, maybe 40-50 total.

The rocker panel that i cut off another black silverado has been installed, thus allowing me to put on new fender and new doors, finally its looking really good and exciting.

great work. locally, I look for steel work due to time, and great owner history.

a young truck, its easy to think values and flipping.. I suppose I go hunting personal.

I have recovered tweaked frames etc.

my dad and I hauled a wrecked pickup, some top of the line something with leather seats, king cab from new jersey to the canadian border.. down a dirt road to the dead end.

a kenworth w900L with a 48 foot trailer.

the guy was very happy with the totalled truck on the flatbed, blood still inside.

Not my cup of tea.

my 21 years and 363k miles is like new. Seems more difficult, but no..

Archived