Making the interior buttons respond quicker?

Stop complaining about the guy complaining about the guy complaining about the guy complaining about a 2 second delay.

Now, that makes complete sense!!! Lost track of how many complainers there were.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody who thinks response time is an invalid complaint is a moron,

I question the response time of such a comment. Any complaint about response time may be valid but it doesn't follow that those who disagree are "morons". Most of us realize that response time can be almost instant but there is a reason that some functions have a slight delay. I don't know the reasons, but I have some theories. I do not believe it is from a lack of knowledge or a cost saving measure. The push-button radio on my '61 Pontiac wagon responded instantly! (once warmed-up) I also question the reference in your post concerning age. Mocking an age group that most hope and strive to achieve is inappropriate, imo.

I question the response time of such a comment. Any complaint about response time may be valid but it doesn't follow that those who disagree are "morons". Most of us realize that response time can be almost instant but there is a reason that some functions have a slight delay. I don't know the reasons, but I have some theories. I do not believe it is from a lack of knowledge or a cost saving measure. The push-button radio on my '61 Pontiac wagon responded instantly! (once warmed-up) I also question the reference in your post concerning age. Mocking an age group that most hope and strive to achieve is inappropriate, imo.

I'll agree the name calling was a bit inappropriate, it struck a nerve with me.

I can assure you it's a cost saving measure. It's either a lack of processing power or a lack of R&D on the software side to create an OS that operates smoothly with the hardware. It's why you will see almost no lag with higher end vehicles. It's also why modern full feature aftermarket head units are commonly advertised with processing specs. It's because more people are becoming aware of lag.

I find that most people who except the lag and don't mind it just are because they aren't very tech savvy and don't operate the system quickly, or they aren't aware that the lag is cost saving measure and it should not be expected.

I also find the lag of my FIOS dvr box to be unnacceptable. Why can't I change the damn channel as fast as the old analog TV can. Oh that's right, because when motorola and verizon were designing the box they decided that was the cheapest amount of processing power they could use and customers wouldn't complain.

With the way cell phone tech has catapulted the computing industry, there is absolutely no way we, the consumers, should find it acceptable for GM, Verizon, Comcast, or any other company to outfit our everyday electronics with $10-20 processors. The smart phone in our pockets should not have more processing power than the entire inventory of a GM dealership.

On top of that, the original poster was complaining about a whopping 3 second delay between the input and the output. To say that is just complaining about some silly problem is ludicrous.

You know what's worse than a guy complaining about a 2 second delay, another guy who complains about that guy and writes several paragraphs in several posts explaining how simple and how he doesn't need this new fancy stuff.

Here's a forum for your 34 year old truck, shouldn't be too many 1st world problems in there.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/forum/217-1973-1987-chevrolet-gmc-square-body-rounded-line-pickups/

Well too be honest, I actually prefer having an '83 square body over buying a early GMT-400 ('88-'98) for the same price. I like not having a computer and a straight front axle on a 1/2 ton. Have fun fixing all the electronic BS down the road. Well unless you're one of those people that keep trading in so you can feel good about having the latest and greatest. Also from what the problems people have with the new stuff, my '83 having a lot less will mean it will be more reliable. My '86 was actually more reliable than my '98 and I put them both through the same stuff. I only got rid of the '86 because it was 2wd and I wanted a 4x4. So if the '86 would have been 4x4 I would still own it today.

If I write too much then take a break so your brain can cool off, then take a Midol, you'll be fine.

Oh and my bad for being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer as I was about to start a good paying job so I then had to get disability to have even some money coming in since I wasn't able to start that job. It would be hard paying a $580 truck payment when I only get about $800. So hopefully I can get a DOT medical card so I can drive again with my CDL. I guess I should bow down to you since I have an '83 and you have a '14 like I used to have.

I find that most people who except the lag and don't mind it just are because they aren't very tech savvy and don't operate the system quickly, or they aren't aware that the lag is cost saving measure and it should not be expected.

Oh I'm actually very tech savey, I just don't complain when things don't happen instantly.

I'll agree the name calling was a bit inappropriate, it struck a nerve with me.

I can assure you it's a cost saving measure. It's either a lack of processing power or a lack of R&D on the software side to create an OS that operates smoothly with the hardware. It's why you will see almost no lag with higher end vehicles. It's also why modern full feature aftermarket head units are commonly advertised with processing specs. It's because more people are becoming aware of lag.

I also find the lag of my FIOS dvr box to be unnacceptable. Why can't I change the damn channel as fast as the old analog TV can. Oh that's right, because when motorola and verizon were designing the box they decided that was the cheapest amount of processing power they could use and customers wouldn't complain.

With the way cell phone tech has catapulted the computing industry, there is absolutely no way we, the consumers, should find it acceptable for GM, Verizon, Comcast, or any other company to outfit our everyday electronics with $10-20 processors. The smart phone in our pockets should not have more processing power than the entire inventory of a GM dealership.

On top of that, the original poster was complaining about a whopping 3 second delay between the input and the output. To say that is just complaining about some silly problem is ludicrous.

Bingo, this is what the issue is and it is a cost saving measure or programming. This is the point, it is 2017 and unacceptable, especially in a new and expensive vehicle. My child has cheap chinese toys that are faster!!!

We seemed to have gone off the reservation with alot of opinions but none on the reality that we have a cheap slow computer?

Lets all agree, it's not a big problem in the scheme of things, it doesnt seem to be making world news?? It's annoying to some of us who paid good money for a product that isnt up to "normal" present day tech standards.

Has anyone heard of or know of any "fix" TSB, or solution to the delay on the older (14 and 15) trucks because it was obviously enough of an issue for GM to change in 2016 and 2017???!!! I personally am annoyed by it but am not going to buy a new truck over it. i was hoping for an easy fix or update. Anyone?

I have no concern with the speed of the electronics in my '15 Sierra. The technology maybe available to make it faster but certainly not worth any extra cost, imo. Perhaps GM could consider high speed electronics as an option! Most functions and materials used in building our trucks could be improved. They can be made to go faster, to last longer and to haul more. I think these trucks, for the price as compared to other brands, have an excellent balance of function and cost.

Bingo, this is what the issue is and it is a cost saving measure or programming. This is the point, it is 2017 and unacceptable, especially in a new and expensive vehicle. My child has cheap chinese toys that are faster!!!

We seemed to have gone off the reservation with alot of opinions but none on the reality that we have a cheap slow computer?

Lets all agree, it's not a big problem in the scheme of things, it doesnt seem to be making world news?? It's annoying to some of us who paid good money for a product that isnt up to "normal" present day tech standards.

Has anyone heard of or know of any "fix" TSB, or solution to the delay on the older (14 and 15) trucks because it was obviously enough of an issue for GM to change in 2016 and 2017???!!! I personally am annoyed by it but am not going to buy a new truck over it. i was hoping for an easy fix or update. Anyone?

Completely agree, first thing I noticed when driving my 16 is how much quicker the response on the radio was.

I have not heard of any updates at all for the radio's.

Is a 2016/2017 radio plug and play in a 2015?

Don't think so, thought I heard that radio's are year specific. The 14 I had does not have the same screen layout as my 16 does (both 8" nav units).

No.

I did notice a significant improvement in the this 2016 vs the previous 2015 (both SLT, but the 15 was a DC.

Still not the fastest response when changing songs being played from phone over bluetooth, but when running the FM or XM the response is much much better.

Best of all, when using the steering wheel buttons the volume or station will increment on the first push, vs the older gm system where the first push would 'open' the volume control or station list, and the pushes after it was open would increment the setting.

FWIW, we just got back from a trip where the rental we ended up with as a Cadillac XTS, and the 2016 truck system is MUCH better than the CUE in the Caddy. (reviews are suggesting that CUE is getting a big update for 2018 model)

No.

I did notice a significant improvement in the this 2016 vs the previous 2015 (both SLT, but the 15 was a DC.

Still not the fastest response when changing songs being played from phone over bluetooth, but when running the FM or XM the response is much much better.

Best of all, when using the steering wheel buttons the volume or station will increment on the first push, vs the older gm system where the first push would 'open' the volume control or station list, and the pushes after it was open would increment the setting.

FWIW, we just got back from a trip where the rental we ended up with as a Cadillac XTS, and the 2016 truck system is MUCH better than the CUE in the Caddy. (reviews are suggesting that CUE is getting a big update for 2018 model)

Interesting. My truck is a late '15 and my steering wheel controls work as you describe for your '16.

I don't think the radio head unit is, but there is a company out there who updates the '15 radio to accept Apple car play using 2016 GM parts, but the '15 radio stays the same.

Well just looked into the apple car play update or mod and there are a couple of companies that do this. One is auto spa they are on youtube. They claim to change the processor and modules with 2016 GM stuff located behind head unit and glove box. Apparently this feeds the head unit. In theory this may be a fix along with an upgrade to apple car play as a 2016 has. ???? Going to give them a call and ask about this specifically. Not cheap over 1000 dollars.

My 2015 Silvy does not work like that. When I use the steering wheel buttons it changes on the first push. The only time the first push opens the list on the DIC is when I am using Retained Accessory Power. Any time the engine is running it works like you described for the 2016.

Archived