2017 2500 Silverado, 6.0 Motor

Well, $5K just 2 years ago on injectors (that needs to be done every 135-150K), this was my second set, first were replaced under warranty at 88K. I'd say since ive owned it, not counting the injectors, ive spent every bit of $6K or more on repairs. The dmax is a GREAT truck, hell, i LOVED that truck, and it didnt "break" often, but when it did, it was "diesel" schitt, and it was EXPENSIVE, hell, the lift pump and fuel control module was a $1500 repair bill alone. None of those repairs are anything "maintenance" items, even just oil changes are almost double what they are on a gasser, and with todays diesels, i dont EVEN wanna fool with that friggin DEF crap.

This truck just makes more sense for me. It was over $20K less than what a Dmax would have cost, and that would take a HELL of a long time to make up on fuel savings, especially with diesel being more expensive than regular now. It was a no brainer when i was pulling a 5th wheel 20K miles a year all over the SE United States roadracing motorcycles, but now all i pull is a 10K pound trailer (thats loaded with all gear and golf cart) about 7-8 times a year. After the last injector change on the DMax, i was only getting around 18 on the hwy and 14-15 to and from work everyday, so even tho this truck def isnt going to get the quite as good a fuel economy as my dmax, it is something i can live with. Week to week it will cost a bit more, but i think over the long run, i'll be saving money.

Oh, and when i traded it, the rear in would NOT have gotten me home from Tennessee, and would have been another $1500-2000 repair bill at an out of town dealership, hence the REASON i traded it THIS weekend rather than when i got home. Had i been home, i'd have torn it apart myself to see if i could have repaired it cheaper, but i have a feeling it would have been a catastrophic failure leaving me stranded on the interstate, so it was traded on this.

thanks for all the info!

Well, $5K just 2 years ago on injectors (that needs to be done every 135-150K), this was my second set, first were replaced under warranty at 88K. I'd say since ive owned it, not counting the injectors, ive spent every bit of $6K or more on repairs. The dmax is a GREAT truck, hell, i LOVED that truck, and it didnt "break" often, but when it did, it was "diesel" schitt, and it was EXPENSIVE, hell, the lift pump and fuel control module was a $1500 repair bill alone. None of those repairs are anything "maintenance" items, even just oil changes are almost double what they are on a gasser, and with todays diesels, i dont EVEN wanna fool with that friggin DEF crap.

This truck just makes more sense for me. It was over $20K less than what a Dmax would have cost, and that would take a HELL of a long time to make up on fuel savings, especially with diesel being more expensive than regular now. It was a no brainer when i was pulling a 5th wheel 20K miles a year all over the SE United States roadracing motorcycles, but now all i pull is a 10K pound trailer (thats loaded with all gear and golf cart) about 7-8 times a year. After the last injector change on the DMax, i was only getting around 18 on the hwy and 14-15 to and from work everyday, so even tho this truck def isnt going to get the quite as good a fuel economy as my dmax, it is something i can live with. Week to week it will cost a bit more, but i think over the long run, i'll be saving money.

Oh, and when i traded it, the rear in would NOT have gotten me home from Tennessee, and would have been another $1500-2000 repair bill at an out of town dealership, hence the REASON i traded it THIS weekend rather than when i got home. Had i been home, i'd have torn it apart myself to see if i could have repaired it cheaper, but i have a feeling it would have been a catastrophic failure leaving me stranded on the interstate, so it was traded on this.

Suddenly, I'm even more happy with my gasser.

When I bought my gasser this year I at first ordered a diesel truck then didn't sleep for two nights because I just couldn't justify the need for a diesel, wasn't going to be towing that much. Love the look of the Duramax truck, always kind of wanted a diesel but I got $10K smarter and changed the order to the 6.0 gas motor.

i still cant decide if i regret the 6.0... i have absolutely no need for a diesel, nor really an HD truck, but i feel like i wish i got the diesel. never owned one, and not sure i ever will, but i think about it ALL the time lol

i still cant decide if i regret the 6.0... i have absolutely no need for a diesel, nor really an HD truck, but i feel like i wish i got the diesel. never owned one, and not sure i ever will, but i think about it ALL the time lol

Yeah, right. I romance the thought of having 950 foot pounds of torque, but I don't ever max out in my gasser, and I don't need added expenses, at purchase, in maintenance, repairs, and right now, fuel.

• Like 5

I went back to a 6.0 due to the fact I did not utilize the Duramax enough to justify it and my concerns for my long term owning of it. We just towed our Jayco 284BHBE travel trailer for the first time with the 2017 6.0 (1500 miles on odometer) and it did fine but definitely a difference with transmission kickdowns on very minor hills (Duramax had none). Mileage for this trip (120 ea way) a couple years ago with Duramax was 13 and I got 9.5 with the 6.0. I can not recall weather conditions for Duramax trip but this trip with 6.0 was cruise at 60 with minor to moderate hilly terrain and no wind to speak of.

• Like 3

A 6.0 HD is as close to maintenance free as it gets with bulletproof reliability built in. Power-wise, I'd take a Dmax any day but the way I use my truck (excessive idling, starting, stopping, cold weather) it's just a no brainer for me. If I had to tow 10K plus constantly of course I'd buy a Dmax but this old 6.0 will pull 10K just fine. If you're buying a gas HD to pull you have to accept that it's not going to accelerate past traffic or up hills but it'll hold speed all day long.

• Like 9

A 6.0 HD is as close to maintenance free as it gets with bulletproof reliability built in. Power-wise, I'd take a Dmax any day but the way I use my truck (excessive idling, starting, stopping, cold weather) it's just a no brainer for me. If I had to tow 10K plus constantly of course I'd buy a Dmax but this old 6.0 will pull 10K just fine. If you're buying a gas HD to pull you have to accept that it's not going to accelerate past traffic or up hills but it'll hold speed all day long.

This.

Love the quiet, smooth, extreme power of the Duramax, hate the expense, and worried sick about reliability. It is not that it isn't a great motor/trans because it is, it is the EPA that mandates all the crap added to it that I question. A diesel in regen at 1400* being shut off is not ok regardless of what a manufacturer says.

• Like 1

Lots of good advice here. As stated, you're not going to be able to improve the MPG enough with basic mods to justify the cost of those mods. Save your money to buy more gas, haha. You can expect similar MPG to your old 6.0...but at least your new truck has 60 more HP and 2 more gears than your previous 6.0 truck...and a much better chassis. It'll drag your camper and boat wherever you choose without any trouble at all. And, you can enjoy the feeling of having one of the most reliable, low maintenance, trouble free drive trains in the HD truck market today!

• Like 6

Lots of good advice here. As stated, you're not going to be able to improve the MPG enough with basic mods to justify the cost of those mods. Save your money to buy more gas, haha. You can expect similar MPG to your old 6.0...but at least your new truck has 60 more HP and 2 more gears than your previous 6.0 truck...and a much better chassis. It'll drag your camper and boat wherever you choose without any trouble at all. And, you can enjoy the feeling of having one of the most reliable, low maintenance, trouble free drive trains in the HD truck market

This is my 3rd 6.0 truck and it is the best version yet. I had one of the first 08's with the new body and 6-speed and it's what got me out of my Cummins at the time. I was going to go Duramax but the salesman, who was also a friend, talked me into driving the the new version. The extra gears with a 4.10 option made the truck feel much more competent. It saved me a pile of money and that truck went 60K miles in less a year with nothing other than scheduled service. It's mileage was horrific but I never had to give that truck a second thought or worry.

Edited by magnum74
  • Like 2

This is my 3rd 6.0 truck and it is the best version yet. I had one of the first 08's with the new body and 6-speed and it's what got me out of my Cummins at the time. I was going to go Duramax but the salesman, who was also a friend, talked me into driving the the new version. The extra gears with a 4.10 option made the truck feel much more competent. It saved me a pile of money and that truck went 60K miles in less a year with nothing other than scheduled service. It's mileage was horrific but I never had to give that truck a second thought or worry.

Yep, exactly. They really are great trucks. And yes, the 6-spd/4:10 is a great combo. They're capable of doing just about anything you ask of them...except getting good MPG, haha. If I owned a business that used a fleet of heavy duty work trucks, they'd all be GM HD's with the 6.0 for sure. You just can't hurt them.

• Like 2

Hey guys. I am on my 5th Chevy truck since 2008. It's an addiction.

2004 2500HD CC 4WD LT 6.0 - purchased used in 2008

2012 1500 CC 4WD LT 5.3 - purchased used in 2013

2014 1500 CC 4WD LT 5.3 - purchased new in Dec of 2014

2016 2500HD CC 4WD LTZ 6.6 - purchased new in August of 2016

2017 2500HD DC 4WD LT 6.0 - purchased new in July 2017

The 2016 with the duramax was an awesome truck. The power was incredible. Pulled my 10,600lb travel trailer with ease and the 5,000lb boat is hardly noticeable.

I was annoyed by two things. The constant (every 350 miles) regens and the sloppy steering ("fixed" once, was starting to loosen up again).

Had to trade it for financial reasons. Traded down ($17,000 cheaper) to the 2017 I am currently driving. The 6.0 is a damn strong motor. Much like I remembered from my 2004. Haven't pulled the camper yet but the boat was super easy as I expected. The diesel was fun and I had always wanted one... but I didn't need one. It spent most of its days as a daily driver. That's no kinda life for a duramax. Like I said, had it 11 months, put 15,600 miles on it and averaged 15.4 mpg. I've got about 1,200 miles on the 6.0 and I am averaging 13.1 mpg. I expect it to get a little better once the motor is broken in but realistically 13.5 mpg is probably it. Didn't but it for the mileage so no worries there.

• Like 1

i havent been able to take her out on the interstate yet to see how "good" the fuel economy is without the camper attached, yet, but so far, around town, to and from work, driving it EXTREMELY easy (which is hard for me if you knew my personality), i mean, im driving like granpa, and the best ive gotten is 10 mpg. sheeeesh!!! Oh well, the $20K i did NOT spend at the dealer is just being spent at the gas pumps. LoL!!

• Like 1