2017 2500 Silverado, 6.0 Motor

AFM, DOD, and DI are all death of a engine.

Agreed. I used to be on the direct injection bandwagon, because of the increased HP and MPG the 5.3 & 6.2 received when they went to DI.....but now that the jury is out, I'm glad my old dinosaur 6.0 doesn't have it, haha.

Why I went w/ ordering a '17 even though I didn't really have any complaints w/ my '11. I didn't want to have to deal w/ a high tech gadget a couple of years down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

well no shit sherlock.

Ive owned a truck for the last 25 years. Was i expecting 30mpg? No.

I "was" hoping for a bit better than this tho. Considering this motor (as i said in my original post, i had back in 2002) has been around for YEARS, you'd THINK they'd do something to make it just a TAD better than it is as it hasnt changed since the last one i owned.

My brother in law just bought a 2017 1500 LTZ with the 6.2 and 8 speed tranny, with full towing package and gets 17-18 around town, and 22-24 on the interstate.

So, no i dont expect since i own a truck to get Toyota Camry fuel economy, but they could DAMN sure with all the BS theyre doing to motors these days, make this one get better than 12-13.

Th real difference is they put VVT in this motor around 2009 I believe. The 4.10 ratio is killing the mpg on these.

Th real difference is they put VVT in this motor around 2009 I believe. The 4.10 ratio is killing the mpg on these.

The LY6 had VVT since 2007.... also when they went to the GMT900 body and the 6L90E trans. The L96 came out in 2010 and it's the same engine with larger injectors accommodating flexfuel capability. The 4.10 gears don't kill the trucks ability for fuel economy, but rather the weight and aerodynamics similar to that of a brick do.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 3

I've been driving direct injection cars, mostly European, for years. DI engines do require better fuel and oil. Most, if not all top tier gas have anti soot additives to reduce carbon build up on the valves after combustion (even though the fuel never touches the valves during injection, they use the VVT as a type of egr along with other recirculated exhaust gases)

Oil also becomes more critical. Properties such as NOACK. Long and short the oil in vapor form cooks on the the valves via the PVC system.

Countless 6.0's are at construction, landscaping, delivery, you name it business. I also bet they get jiffy lube oil changes and the lowest cost gas that can be found.

Kind of makes the good ole 6.0 make sense doesn't it.

I wish you could get a 6.2 in the HD trucks though.

• Like 1

I like my 6.0, BUT as i said in my original post, i had a 6.0 back in 2002, long before the items you guys talked about were introduced, and even in 2002, the fuel economy sucked. LoL.

Its actually getting a tad bit better now with 3500 miles on the clock. My to and from work using back roads (45-55mph speed limits), and i'm up to right at 13.5-14 mpg.

Headed to lake hartwell this coming Saturday for a fishing tournament so i'll get to see if my hwy mileage has improved any.

My last tank of E85 netted me 11mpg with a 50/50 split of city/hwy.

I filled up with E10 (regular unleaded) about 3 days ago. Took 32 gallons so there was a little bit (12.5%) of E85 left in the tank. My mileage is up to 13.6mpg so far. Next tank of E10 should be better as most of the E85 will be gone.

Almost ready for my first oil change too. Mobil 1 5w30 is going in.

• Like 1