I am planning to add fender flares to 2014 sierra. The truck is iridium and I want to match colors so I need to paint the flares. I have seen all kinds of estimates for the cost to have them painted iridium, also I have seen I can buy them already painted but those are expensive. I have seen online and in some shops spray type paint that they say will match the color. My questions on these are will they actually match the color and gloss (iridium seems like a tricky color)? And if it does match will it wear and look like s**t after a few months? Thanks a lot guys.

I am planning to add fender flares to 2014 sierra. The truck is iridium and I want to match colors so I need to paint the flares. I have seen all kinds of estimates for the cost to have them painted iridium, also I have seen I can buy them already painted but those are expensive. I have seen online and in some shops spray type paint that they say will match the color. My questions on these are will they actually match the color and gloss (iridium seems like a tricky color)? And if it does match will it wear and look like s**t after a few months? Thanks a lot guys.

My personal opinion on the color match from a spray can is it is a little off because the gloss never goes on as good as the factory paint

I have had the grill on my truck painted for a couple months now 7dba8d9512a0f77c1f806515604d8ea8.jpgcd0a984ac0828e6c5fb18e764539827e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal opinion on the color match from a spray can is it is a little off because the gloss never goes on as good as the factory paint

I have had the grill on my truck painted for a couple months now 7dba8d9512a0f77c1f806515604d8ea8.jpgcd0a984ac0828e6c5fb18e764539827e.jpg

That grille looks pretty sick, I'm gonna have to steal that idea for mine now.... but I do see what you mean about the gloss. Is there no way to add gloss after the fact to give it the right shine?

Lol feel free to do it but be careful taking the trim off, the tabs can snap easily.

I added gloss but maybe not the right amount or the right kind.

I mean the "color match" vs the money you save is worth it to me. Probably would need 2 cans for each fender to get 4 coats, it's about $10-16 a can.

acdelco brand paint is better then perfect match but acdelco costs more.

I get all my paint and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com, perfect match every time. If you're painting plastic get the plastic prep spray also. And of course as always, it's all in the prep.

Geezus, rattle can garbage? Quit being cheap and take them to a shop and get them done right.

Do you know how much garbage I have to fix on the weekly basis from backyard warriors spray painting their own stuff?.... Even taking it to freaking maaco is better.

Geezus, rattle can garbage? Quit being cheap and take them to a shop and get them done right.

Do you know how much garbage I have to fix on the weekly basis from backyard warriors spray painting their own stuff?.... Even taking it to freaking maaco is better.

I'll backyard all day if it saves me 100 bucks3367f829ee32c51c35e86460ec86d82c.png

I'll backyard all day if it saves me 100 bucks3367f829ee32c51c35e86460ec86d82c.png

Save a hundred? Bet it's 100$ per flare at the "shop". They paint them in the back on a sawhorse and call it "pro". I would hire a tagger on the freeway before I had a "shop" paint an aftermarket accessory that defiantly going to see abrasions and/or scratches. I wouldn't paint them at all but to each his own.

Save a hundred? Bet it's 100$ per flare at the "shop". They paint them in the back on a sawhorse and call it "pro". I would hire a tagger on the freeway before I had a "shop" paint an aftermarket accessory that defiantly going to see abrasions and/or scratches. I wouldn't paint them at all but to each his own.

Speaking of jobs this cost $500 for underglow install lol12e233144b0c3efc2acb485e606f1d08.jpg

Nuts

I'll backyard all day if it saves me 100 bucks

Yes. I can do a damn good job at home with quality rattle cans and lots of prep. I took weeks to prep a splitter for paint on my Camaro but that was in part my fault. But now when I get a chip or something I can fix it myself.

The only part of my Camaro I had a shop paint looked like a$$. It looked like the paint had sand in it, just terrible. Luckily their billing dept., aka his wife, didn't know what the heck she was doing and I didn't get charged for the work.

Get you some quotes from body/paint shops then check the price of the supplies needed to do it yourself and make your decision. If you do it yourself it'll take away from your down time but it'll also be satisfying once done. Another skill you'll have for yourself.

Yes. I can do a damn good job at home with quality rattle cans and lots of prep. I took weeks to prep a splitter for paint on my Camaro but that was in part my fault. But now when I get a chip or something I can fix it myself.

The only part of my Camaro I had a shop paint looked like a$$. It looked like the paint had sand in it, just terrible. Luckily their billing dept., aka his wife, didn't know what the heck she was doing and I didn't get charged for the work.

Get you some quotes from body/paint shops then check the price of the supplies needed to do it yourself and make your decision. If you do it yourself it'll take away from your down time but it'll also be satisfying once done. Another skill you'll have for yourself.

Ya it's crazy, I took my logos to a shop to get vinyl wrapped and they wanted $100 for them to do both.

I'll keep my money in my pocket and look for good deals. When I get good at something I do it for my friends.

Archived