black bear tune on a 17

8 hours ago, USMC devil dog said:

Man I have tried like a mofo to get hold of them and can’t they won’t answer the phone or reply to email!! 

If you have been calling in and not getting through it is due to there being somebody else on the line.  We have one line and one individual answering the phone.  Please try again later.

If you have been emailing, what address have you been sending to?  We are less than 2 days back on all emails (including technical) and usually have a response time of a few hours or less for non-technical emails.

7 hours ago, .justin. said:

If you have been calling in and not getting through it is due to there being somebody else on the line.  We have one line and one individual answering the phone.  Please try again later.

If you have been emailing, what address have you been sending to?  We are less than 2 days back on all emails (including technical) and usually have a response time of a few hours or less for non-technical emails.

I got through today actually

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 5:22 AM, Scuba78 said:

Ok, another 100 miles on it ant what a difference in the truck. Shift patterns and smooth acceleration. what a relief with this nightmare of the past 8 months!

Did you do an engine tune only, or ECM and TCM? It's great that it's shifting better with just an ECM tune (if that's all you did). What were some of the changes you asked for or Justin decided to do in the tune? I have a 2017 Sierra 6.2L with the 8-speed as well and I'm in the process of buying a tune from BB, so I'm interested in what others have gone with in their tunes.

8 hours ago, Mileguru said:

Did you do an engine tune only, or ECM and TCM? It's great that it's shifting better with just an ECM tune (if that's all you did). What were some of the changes you asked for or Justin decided to do in the tune? I have a 2017 Sierra 6.2L with the 8-speed as well and I'm in the process of buying a tune from BB, so I'm interested in what others have gone with in their tunes.

I did Engine and TCM. TCM shifts are a bit firm under full throttle but i was told they will level out because it is learning.  Love it thou. next will come the mods, but it was great for making a stock truck run properly.

5 hours ago, Scuba78 said:

I did Engine and TCM. TCM shifts are a bit firm under full throttle but i was told they will level out because it is learning.  Love it thou. next will come the mods, but it was great for making a stock truck run properly.

How was installing the new TCM? Did it come programmed, or did you autocal it?

24 minutes ago, Scuba78 said:

I did it thru the auto cal

Good to know it's working. So is the process:

1) Remove the old TCM, install the new

2) Data log both (ECM and TCM)

3) AutoCal both (ECM and TCM)

I haven't looked to see how easy it is to remove the TCM. What did you think of that process?

Just now, Mileguru said:

Good to know it's working. So is the process:

1) Remove the old TCM, install the new

2) Data log both (ECM and TCM)

3) AutoCal both (ECM and TCM)

I haven't looked to see how easy it is to remove the TCM. What did you think of that process?

no, there is no removal of anything, just plug in, get code, send file to get unlock code, then unlock copy and data log. then get tuned file back and put it on autocal then reflash

12 minutes ago, Scuba78 said:

no, there is no removal of anything, just plug in, get code, send file to get unlock code, then unlock copy and data log. then get tuned file back and put it on autocal then reflash

Ohhhh...then you only did an ECM tune, not a TCM.

4 minutes ago, Scuba78 said:

no, you flash the ECM and the TCM with their own tune file thru the auto cal

I don't think a T87A can be flashed via EFILive and AutoCal. That's the whole problem with tuning the 2017+ models. 2016 was the last year you could access the TCM via AutoCal. With a 2017, you have to send the TCM to HPTuners to be unlocked and then tuned using them, or use EFILive and AutoCal in a fashion that I'm going to have to keep my mouth shut about now.

Aside from that, I'm glad that you're liking the tune. Do you feel that the truck now:

1) Stays in lower gears longer off of a launch?

2) Drops into lower gears more quickly when stepping on it to pass someone? Thus eliminating the need to floor it all the way past the "click" at the WOT.

3) Gives you more throttle response...along the lines of you ask for 25% throttle and it gives you 25% throttle, etc. In essence, eliminating the "drive-by-wire" programming that manages the torque?

4) How much did you pay for everything? (You can PM me with that one since it's prices offered by a sponsor).

Thank you for your input. It's always helpful to compare identical trucks!

that was true until they figured out the unlock. If you want to clarify it then talk with Black Bear. I have a separate flash file for the TCM and it makes a BIG difference.

8 minutes ago, Mileguru said:

I don't think a T87A can be flashed via EFILive and AutoCal. That's the whole problem with tuning the 2017+ models. 2016 was the last year you could access the TCM via AutoCal. With a 2017, you have to send the TCM to HPTuners to be unlocked and then tuned using them, or use EFILive and AutoCal in a fashion that I'm going to have to keep my mouth shut about now.

Aside from that, I'm glad that you're liking the tune. Do you feel that the truck now:

2) Drops into lower gears more quickly when stepping on it to pass someone? Thus eliminating the need to floor it all the way past the "click" at the WOT.

3) Gives you more throttle response...along the lines of you ask for 25% throttle and it gives you 25% throttle, etc. In essence, eliminating the "drive-by-wire" programming that manages the torque?

4) How much did you pay for everything? (You can PM me with that one since it's prices offered by a sponsor).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scuba78 said:

that was true until they figured out the unlock. If you want to clarify it then talk with Black Bear. I have a separate flash file for the TCM and it makes a BIG difference.

SWEET!!! PROGRESS!!!

Thanks, I'll talk to Justin.

18 hours ago, Mileguru said:

1) stays in lower gear for easy driving, full throttle launch is the same, just firmer shifts

2) drops down and holds gear longer

3) asked to eliminate torque management and seems quite a bit snappier

4) because it is the '17 there is a $50 fee due to the added security, and i also opted for the hard case.  total came to $709

Was any information given about call I'd change on the TCM and ecm flash, I believe some of the tuners are able to flash the 17s 8spd but I believe the call IDs get changed . If you are worried about your power train warranty that would be a issue as gm would be able to see the flash change.