I'm in the process of getting a new grill for the backyard. Two Costcos near me have the Traeger pellet grills and the Kamado Joes this week.

Anyone have any experience with either a pellet grill or a egg smoker? Interested to hear opinions on each.

I don't have either. But I have several friends with pellet poopers. My one buddy LOVEs his Traeger. Sold has gasser as he didn't use it any more.

You gonna be grilling or smoking? Pellet poopers aren't great for grilling IMO. They just don't get quite hot enough.

i want to predominately grill. I think they get up to around 450, which should be hot enough for burgers and hot dogs. I think the pellet pooper is just going to be easier for my wife to operate over the ceramic. Last thing I'd want to hear is complaining when she has to load lump into the ceramic and light it and wait 30 mins before she could cook

After wasting money and all the do dadery of grills offered, I am back with Weber charcoal cooker. If a design hasn't changed in forever it has to be good. Besides it's the chef not the grill that makes it good.

I expected this was about trucks, but I just bought a new propane grill so I can chime in anyway! I got one of the Nexgrill stainless models from HomeDepot on sale. They are all made by the same few manufacturers and relabeled anyway. This one appears to be completely stainless, unlike the others that still have a steel bottom that rusts through in a few months. So far I like it a lot, and for $200 bucks on sale, it has certainly been well used in the year I've been at my new house.

This looks like the one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-4-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-with-Side-Burner-and-Stainless-Steel-Doors-720-0830H/205449953

i want to predominately grill. I think they get up to around 450, which should be hot enough for burgers and hot dogs. I think the pellet pooper is just going to be easier for my wife to operate over the ceramic. Last thing I'd want to hear is complaining when she has to load lump into the ceramic and light it and wait 30 mins before she could cook

My friend says he's "almost" ready to get rid the gasser. The Traeger isn't ideal for burgers and dogs, but works okay. Certainly can't get the higher heat if you're trying to sear something.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it by any ways, it's just a slightly different tool for a slightly different job.

• 1 month later...

You made a bad choice.

Why did you buy a rabbit turd "smoker" to "grill"?

If grilling was your main use you should have bought a Weber propane grill.

My Weber Silver C is going on 18 yrs now without any issues. The only thing I've ever had to do with it was to replace the flavorizer bars. The burners and igniter is still the original. I use it year round and have only had a cover on it the first two years.

If smoking was your main use you should have bought a true wood burning offset smoker. Turd smokers don't produce the same smoke as can be achieved with offset.

Archived