Service power steering

Bought a new 2017 Silverado 2500 6.0L and service power steering came across dash. Took to dealer and they said had to replace power steering control module. Changed then they said it wasn't communicating with steering box and had to replace that. Changed that then said steering module wasn't working and had to change that again. Changed and still not working. Also having infotainment issue and they said it was related and had to check wiring harness. They also found a coolant leak while messing with steering issue. Truck has 800 miles and been at the dealership a week now. Anyone else having these issues? Going to try to get them to buy back.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

They now say the steering module needs to be programmed but they come programmed. Chevy engineers now involved. Contacted dealer about repurchase and they said were not to that point yet. Contacted chevy again and they are escalating the issue to a senior advisor. Getting tired of waiting

Every time service power steering light came on the wheel would jerk a bit. Coolant leak was a loose clamp on hose from radiator to pump

Thanks I will check that. Smell coolant now and then and the dealer can't find a leak

Hang in there, man. Let the dealer try to figure it out, there's a million electrical sesors and related systems all tied together in the computers. Who knows where this gremlin came from. Of course, do what you want, interested in results, thanks.

While inconvenient, give them time to make it right. Sounds like they did at. I guess no one remembers buying a new car in the 70's and headaches that followed. Having the truck in for a week or two is a bit of a drag but not unreasonable so long as they provide a loaner or rental. I guess we consumers expect a new product, even cars, to be issue free and if they aren't, we expect to be able to take it back for a refund like taking back a defective coffee maker to Wal-Mart. Yah, it's a drag to spend that kind of money and have defects, but it happens. Go buy a new RV and see how many trips you have to make back to the dealer to get things fixed.

I had this same exact thing happen to me on my 2017 GMC sierra 3500 at 2000 miles. They replace the electric steering pump along with the module. The problem was that the electric steering unit had a short in the wiring where the harness plugs into the steering. They were able to wiggle the wires and rip them right out. upon returning the vehicle to me the steering wheel if off by 5 degrees to the right and I am no longer to hold the steering wheel straight it wants to wonder right or left. Trying to get the dealer to buy mine back as well.

Search this forum - there are tons of threads about this. The previous fix was to check the G218 ground near the front drivers-side speaker. After a bunch of us complained to NHTSA they finally forced GM to recall them. They just announced the recall late last week and GM doesn't have the fix released yet but basically they will reprogram the software. We'll see if it works.

Search for the G218 instructions. Once I did that it took care of most of my electrical problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1