• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

might have to just keep a jar up there. hahaah

Haha There are a lot of places to hang jars both inside and outside of the tent so that is doable.

A funnel, a few zip ties, and some tubing [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tent does open from all sides so that isn't too out there of an idea

So as promised, here is my fuel economy with the roof tent mounted. I will periodically report in so I can properly gauge it's affect on the trucks fuel economy and take an average in case of any outliers.

Typically I refuel when I have about 1/8th of the tank remaining and fill about ~4L/1 gallon past "full."

Fuel Mileage Report:

Vehicle Specifications:

2015 Sierra 1500 w/ 5.3L GDI, crew cab, 5'8" box, 4x4, WT trim, on factory chrome 17" wheel and tires @35PSI/240KPA, no vehicle lift (yet!), no tonneau cover.

Roughly 100-130lbs of gear loaded in vehicle

Current vehicle mileage: 28,618km/16540 miles.

Fuel economy during normal week commute, without roof tent mounted typically ranges any where between 14.5L-15.6L/100km (15.1-16.2MPG), depending on how heavy I'm on the go fast pedal.

With roof tent mounted report: 08/08/17

Primarily spirited non-highway/back roads and city driving, speeds ranging from 50-90km/h (31-56mph), average trip in one direction 40km (25miles)

Refueled at: 512 km/318 miles @72L/19 US-gallons = 14.1L/100km or 16.7MPG

D.I.C. indicated potential fuel mileage range : 626km/389 miles = 14.4L/100km or 16.3MPG

My camping usually involves excessive amounts of alcohol, I could only imagine climbing into this thing after more than a few wobbly pops. lol

LOL You can always drink copious amounts of alcohol while in the tent, there are openings on all four sides to toss your empties in the bed of the truck. Plus there's an led light inside the tent so you can see if it's pitch black outside.

LOL You can always drink copious amounts of alcohol while in the tent, there are openings on all four sides to toss your empties in the bed of the truck. Plus there's an led light inside the tent so you can see if it's pitch black outside.

Well then there's the issue of falling out. I feel as though you underestimate how uncoordinated some people are. I mean, hell, I'm likely to fall out of the thing while sober. lol

Well then there's the issue of falling out. I feel as though you underestimate how uncoordinated some people are. I mean, hell, I'm likely to fall out of the thing while sober. lol

Since the tent has pull straps for the person climbing into the tent and isn't tall enough to stand in (at best there's only space to crawl within it) that shouldn't be an issue. especially since the tent frame prevents falling out from the sides. Of course that being said, the tent isn't for everyone, then again the same can be said for overlanding (the reason why I bought it) in general too.

Nice. These high mounted tents were/are mostly an Aussie thing. They have some poisoness snakes down there that are nothing to mess with.

I have a roof mounted, swing out shade/awning from down under.

Archived