Z85 Towing Question

I have a 2016 1500 LT Crew Cab 2wd Short Box with the 5.3L V8 and 3.08 gears.

I have been looking around for a camper lately so I have been doing a bunch of research on what my truck can handle. I thought that I didn't have a hitch but it turns out there was one under there that uses the bumper hole (I thought it was just the bumper for light trailers).

31ad765a778200a00bad253488d15e40.jpg

When I realized this I already had a Class IV hitch which I'd imagine is an upgrade regardless and from what I've seen, what you want for pulling a camper.

I was looking at the RPO codes and I noticed that I had Z85 which I saw was a "CHASSIS PACKAGE, HIGH PAYLOAD FIRM RIDE" and Handling/Trailering, heavy-duty, includes 46 mm piston monotube shocks and 34mm front stabilizer bar. It may also have heavier springs and increased payload.

My door pilar label does not show anything regarding payload. I got 6,400 lbs (max trailer) with a 12,000 GCWR from the owners manual.

My question is, does that translate to anything in terms of payload? Does the Z85 add any capacity to the GVWR or max trailer weight? Or does it just make it more controlled/comfortable?

Is the Z85 actually anything additional or is it pretty standard? Anything else you have would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that I didn't have a hitch but it turns out there was one under there that uses the bumper hole (I thought it was just the bumper for light trailers).

When I realized this I already had a Class IV hitch which I'd imagine is an upgrade regardless and from what I've seen, what you want for pulling a camper.

I was looking at the RPO codes and I noticed that I had Z85 which I saw was a "CHASSIS PACKAGE, HIGH PAYLOAD FIRM RIDE" and Handling/Trailering, heavy-duty, includes 46 mm piston monotube shocks and 34mm front stabilizer bar. It may also have heavier springs and increased payload.

My door pilar label does not show anything regarding payload.

My question is, does that translate to anything in terms of payload? Does the Z85 add any capacity to the GVWR or max trailer weight? Or does it just make it more controlled/comfortable?

Is the Z85 actually anything additional or is it pretty standard? Anything else you have would be helpful.

It sounds like this might be your first truck and have no experience with trailers. All of these trucks (1500 series) that have factory tow hitches are class 4. They are easy to spot, you will see the 2inch square tube below the center of the bumper.

My 2001 Sierra has the Z85 suspension, my 2015 has the Z60 suspension. Although the trucks are 2 different design series apart, I like the Z85 suspension much better for towing a trailer. I am not sure how to describe the difference in ride quality, but the Z85 has a little more sway in cornering, and is much less jarring over things such as speed bumps. The Z60 is more of a sports car feel.

Your "problem area" is the 3.08 gears. They are not intended for, nor will they pull the load of a heavy trailer. I have 3.73 gears in the 01 and I wish I had 4.10s. I use that truck to pull trailers and it has probably 150,000 miles of just trailering miles. The 15 has 3.42 gears and it pulls about the same as the 01 due to having more HP and the 6 speed transmission. If I were to use it for pulling, I would re-gear it, or trade it for a different truck.

Without knowing what you intend to tow, its hard to advise you on what you can or can't tow, but your truck is not a tow max and it will have a lower tow capacity than most trucks due to the 3.08 gears. Look in your glove box and on the sticker with all of the codes, look for GU4, GU5, GU6, and GT4. Post which one your truck has.

It sounds like this might be your first truck and have no experience with trailers. All of these trucks (1500 series) that have factory tow hitches are class 4. They are easy to spot, you will see the 2inch square tube below the center of the bumper.

My 2001 Sierra has the Z85 suspension, my 2015 has the Z60 suspension. Although the trucks are 2 different design series apart, I like the Z85 suspension much better for towing a trailer. I am not sure how to describe the difference in ride quality, but the Z85 has a little more sway in cornering, and is much less jarring over things such as speed bumps. The Z60 is more of a sports car feel.

Your "problem area" is the 3.08 gears. They are not intended for, nor will they pull the load of a heavy trailer. I have 3.73 gears in the 01 and I wish I had 4.10s. I use that truck to pull trailers and it has probably 150,000 miles of just trailering miles. The 15 has 3.42 gears and it pulls about the same as the 01 due to having more HP and the 6 speed transmission. If I were to use it for pulling, I would re-gear it, or trade it for a different truck.

Without knowing what you intend to tow, its hard to advise you on what you can or can't tow, but your truck is not a tow max and it will have a lower tow capacity than most trucks due to the 3.08 gears. Look in your glove box and on the sticker with all of the codes, look for GU4, GU5, GU6, and GT4. Post which one your truck has.

If my towing experience is relevant, it consists of boats, atvs, enclosed, and a pressure washing trailer. I am new to Silverados but give me a little credit, I think I would know if there was a 2" receiver under my bumper and there is not. Which is why I ordered the Class IV.

My code is GU4, 3.08. When you say "they won't pull the load of a heavy trailer" what are you calling heavy? I don't plan on going above the maximum. I'd plan to stay under it. Y as much as possible just to be safe.

I've been looking for light campers for the most part. Under 27' and even at that length some of the light models are under 6500lbs

4a5846e86fa394f70dc4536cd1a8094c.png

Check your registration or manual for gvwr and your door jamb for available payload. Gvwr should be 7200

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My door jamb says nothing regarding payload and all of the numbers from my OP are from the manual.

I find the proclamations that the 3.08 is a dog towing to overblown.

Is it ideal? No it is not. If I had ordered from scratch I would not have purchased the 3.08, but a screaming deal that allowed me to purchase a truck much nicer than I could afford when buying new was worth the compromise with what I tow.

My main trailer is an aluminum livestock trailer. I pull that about 80% of the time and 100% of my long trips. I have taken it from Indiana to Baltimore twice, to upstate NY and all over the Midwest for livestock shows and livestock transport. I have no issues maintaining speed or feeling safe when towing. Now, I am not one to blast along at 80 and expect my truck to climb a hill without downshifting or not dropping in speed like some guys so I may not be the best comparison

The other 20% of the time I haul either a box trailer or a flatbed that I load with feed, hay and straw. These are all local trips (within 45 minutes of the farm) and I have never encountered a time when I was worried about my set-up. Admittedly, I can't haul 100 hay bales (7500-9000 lbs) at a time like I could if I had a max trailering package, but I make due with 2 smaller loads.

It has been a while since I went to the scales, but my typical load out is around 6000 lbs.

Be smart and safe and you will be ok.

My door jamb says nothing regarding payload and all of the numbers from my OP are from the manual.

Looks like this?

This book is often referred to as the Bible for towing capacity.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

His truck would be maxed out at 6400 pounds according to that guide. IMHO a TT could not weigh much more than 5000 lbs to allow for gear and supplies such as filling the water tanks, etc.

OP, I misunderstood the part about you having to add the tow hitch. Your original post sounded to me like it was already there, but you had not noticed it. My apologizes, wasn't trying to offend you.

That sticker will tell you your available payload before you max out your configuration it will not tell you how much weight is on your rear axle.

Your rgawr is 3950.... so here is how you calculate your available payload. First load up your truck the way you would when you go camping - the trailer. Go to your local cat scale and get your weight ticket. 7000 lb - that ticket will be your overall available payload. The next step is to determine how much is available on the rear axle versus the front. Take 3950 - your drive axle weight from the ticket and that will be how much available you have on the rear. Because of how far the hitch is behind the drive axle any weight added behind the hitch will actually result in more weight on the rear axle so be conservative if that matters to you. A weight distributing hitch can help a little but you can't do much more than flr on the front axle.

Even with full load restoration you're going to have problems with pitch sensitivity when you are driving over rough roads with a lot of tongue weight and that's just because you're driving a half ton pickup. I hope this helps

I guess my sticker does have the payload for the truck, I was looking for trailer info when I looked at it.

I appreciate all of the help. I don't plan on maxing it out. I've been a passenger in a half ton towing a 30' that was flirting with the max load when we were passed by a semi; make you pucker a little.

Most of the campers that I've looked at were 3000-5000. I'm also doing what I can to help it out control when I got LT tires, Weight distributing hitch, and maybe an add a leaf or air ride. I know that's not going to increase the weight I can pull.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Archived