Flap in front of rear tire

I have tried searching with very little luck because I'm not sure what to call this thing. I'm talking about the little plastic flap in front of the rear tires on a 2014 Sierra. I get that they are for the purpose of deflecting air around the rear tire for better mileage.

The issue I'm having is that with some gravel road driving, my flap is all cracked and broken because it's just cheap thin plastic. Does anyone have a solution, better design, idea to stop this or should I just take them off and live without them?

I would probably take them off completely, or order a new set, have them Line-X or bed liner sprayed, and re-install. That should make them indestructible (within reason).

I am considering taking off the plastic fender flares and getting them done in line-x so I might see what they look like after that. I already did Line-x on the rocker panels and bottom 4" of my doors which has helped with rocks quite a bit.

It's there for a reason. I would highly advise to NOT take it off. If it cracked from road debris, you're gonna have bodywork and paint required if you take them off. Just cheap plastic, but it serves a purpose. Replace with stock plastic piece and either install it plain or have it line-x'd like mentioned.

It's there for a reason. I would highly advise to NOT take it off. If it cracked from road debris, you're gonna have bodywork and paint required if you take them off. Just cheap plastic, but it serves a purpose. Replace with stock plastic piece and either install it plain or have it line-x'd like mentioned.

^^^ X2

I like the idea of line-x on a replacement piece. Whether its purpose is for aerodynamics, appearance or protection it still takes a beating from the rocks! This is a lot easier fix than body work.

Just to clarify, I'm only talking about the little deflector (item #7) in the above linked diagrams. It's separate from the existing black plastic fender well mouldings which I would keep.

Remember all these little MPG tricks add up. Front valances that drag the ground, awful drivability, AFM, Etc I personally could care less about MPG. But, there are a lot of truck buyers that could care less about brand, and only buy based on the best MPG.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Archived