'16 silverado 2500HD, to lift/level or not to lift/level

I am in the need of new tires and currently i have the stock 17 inch rims and stock tires. I am going back and forth whether i should level it or lift it and get 33's if level or 35's if lifted, or just get 275/65 18 with new wheels. The cost is just quite high and i don't know if it is really worth it to level or lift it.

Quotes

Leveling 2.5 in with 33/12.5/20 Toyo RT is like $3800

5 inch lift with 35/12.5/20 Toyo RT is $5000

or just get Toyo AT and 18 inch wheels is like $2100

I just don't know if can/should justify either the level or the lift. And would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to lift it, be prepared to spend money. If you don't want to spend money, don't lift it. Bigger tires = worse gas mileage. I spent every bit of $7k lifting mine 6.5 inches and putting 35 inch tires on 20×10 wheels

No need to lift of level for 33's with the right rims! Do you use your truck as a truck or a street princess? Lifting makes them look great, but try putting thing in and out of the box. Level is less money but then when you actually tow anything or load the box down. your truck is now nose high. just my thoughts. LOL

I agree that lifting it is a major decision. A 5" lift and 35's will drastically change the way your truck handles "truck stuff" and it will be even worse on gas. I'll admit that I'm a sucker for lifted trucks, but they're not practical for my every day use. Are you against keeping your 17" rims? If not, then I'd recommend throwing some 285/75/17 (34") tires on there and seeing how you like it. They'll fit on a stock truck and look much better than the factory tires. I went through this whole process myself. You can check out my build thread for pics if you'd like.

I plan on going 285/75/17 when my dinky stock tires wear out. At that point I'll then decide whether I want I raise the front end a bit. I will never do a true level due to using my truck for actual truck stuff.

Buddy did a 6" lift/level on his Denali with 35" tires and regrets it every time he tows. For daily driving and looks he loves it but now looks silly when he hauls he tri axle toy hauler

I agree that lifting it is a major decision. A 5" lift and 35's will drastically change the way your truck handles "truck stuff" and it will be even worse on gas. I'll admit that I'm a sucker for lifted trucks, but they're not practical for my every day use. Are you against keeping your 17" rims? If not, then I'd recommend throwing some 285/75/17 (34") tires on there and seeing how you like it. They'll fit on a stock truck and look much better than the factory tires. I went through this whole process myself. You can check out my build thread for pics if you'd like.

I was thinking of going to 18 inch rims, could i do 285/75/18? I have always been on the fence of whether to level/or lift because i do tow a bit. I think i would be okay without leveling or lifting if i could get some wider tires than the stock that i have now (265/70/17). So if i could put some sort of 285 on it stock i think that is really where i would like to go. Does anyone know the max tire (width and or height) i can get without no level or lift?

Just crank the bars and get a allingment, that's $65-$100 then add tires of choice.

I have thought of that, do you have experience with that? I have heard it can strain the front end parts if you do that? Is that true?

No need to lift of level for 33's with the right rims! Do you use your truck as a truck or a street princess? Lifting makes them look great, but try putting thing in and out of the box. Level is less money but then when you actually tow anything or load the box down. your truck is now nose high. just my thoughts. LOL

This is intriguing to me. Do you have an example setup for me to look into to get 33's without leveling or lifting it. I just want a little bit bigger of a tire

I was thinking of going to 18 inch rims, could i do 285/75/18? I have always been on the fence of whether to level/or lift because i do tow a bit. I think i would be okay without leveling or lifting if i could get some wider tires than the stock that i have now (265/70/17). So if i could put some sort of 285 on it stock i think that is really where i would like to go. Does anyone know the max tire (width and or height) i can get without no level or lift?

Well, the 285/75/18 is a 35" tire, so you'll need a level to clear those. Same with a 295/70/18. Without any lift at all, you can easily clear a 275/70/18, and should also be able to clear a 285/70/18 or 305/65/18. A good rule of thumb with these new HD's is that you can fit a wide 33" or narrow 34" on a stock truck. With a level, you can fit a wide 34" or narrow 35". That being said, there are guys running wide 35's on a level, but some rub a bit, or they don't have mud flaps, or have trimmed, etc. My recommendation would be to raise the front 1.5-2" and add a larger tire. It'll drastically change the look of your truck, and you'll still be able to actually use it for truck duty.

You know what you can buy for what it costs to lift a brand-new IFS truck?

An old, lifted solid axle truck.

You know what you have then?

(1) A brand-new truck that drives how it is supposed to drive, tows how it is supposed to tow, has an accessible bed height, retains its warranty, gets respectable fuel economy all things considered, and doesn't get beat up doing all the things that one would have to do to get any actual use out of a lifted truck; and

(2) An old lifted truck that looks cooler than any brand new lifted rig possibly could, that you don't mind beating on, that is easy to lift and easy to fix when you break it, that gets horrendous gas mileage but only gets driven every so often, that you can use as a spare vehicle or for hunting and such, and that won't depreciate a dime for as long as you own it.

Every truck I have owned I either lifted or lowered. So many ancillary issues manifested from each from the lift/lower. This truck now will remain stock suspension wise. Once tires and shock wear out It will still remain stock with taller tires and better shocks. I prefer zero issues and the trade in value plummets because of extreme suspension mods like lift/level for the most part in my experience. i82 and BW bring xcellent points to consider. All of my vehicles were/are used for tasks they were/are designed for. Towing, off road, street. My lift big tire rigs were tested. Did I need it? I found out no. Did it look cool? Eye of the beholder. Putting a little taller tires on stock rim seems a more logical choice. more clearance helps in my case. BWs rig looks for me to be a perfect choice. I had 285s on my leveled GMC and they rubbed the stabilizing bar some. I would go taller not wider. My Dodge rubbed everywhere and ate a fender liner off road once. Plenty of good examples here. Good luck

Every truck I have owned I either lifted or lowered. So many ancillary issues manifested from each from the lift/lower. This truck now will remain stock suspension wise. Once tires and shock wear out It will still remain stock with taller tires and better shocks. I prefer zero issues and the trade in value plummets because of extreme suspension mods like lift/level for the most part in my experience. i82 and BW bring xcellent points to consider. All of my vehicles were/are used for tasks they were/are designed for. Towing, off road, street. My lift big tire rigs were tested. Did I need it? I found out no. Did it look cool? Eye of the beholder. Putting a little taller tires on stock rim seems a more logical choice. more clearance helps in my case. BWs rig looks for me to be a perfect choice. I had 285s on my leveled GMC and they rubbed the stabilizing bar some. I would go taller not wider. My Dodge rubbed everywhere and ate a fender liner off road once. Plenty of good examples here. Good luck

This is exactly my plan, a taller but narrower tire than stock just for a bit more clearance, maybe trim the air dam or remove it for a snow plow setup, and that's the end of it. I will go bounce around in the mud in the 72 when I get the urge and keep the 2016 how GM designed it.

Archived