aftermarket remote start

Hey everyone, first I wanted to thank everyone on here for the great posts for me to learn off of. This site is amazing!

Anyway, this is my first post on here and I have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT that came from the factory with the remote start option however I don't like the range of the factory remote and having to keep extending the timer after 10 minutes so I was going to put in the aftermarket remote start I had in my previous vehicle (2004 GMC Envoy). Well when I went to go and do this I got everything hooked up perfectly and when I went to program the DBALL2 module for bypassing the security system it would only have my truck run off accessories when I would remote start the truck. It would never try to crank the truck or run off the RUN part of the ignition switch.

My question is this, has anyone put an aftermarket remote start in the truck or has everyone from what it seems been programming the OEM remote start in the truck and adding that on?

My remote starter I am using is a Viper 5901 with a Dball2 module to bypass the security (it even allows the OEM remote to arm and disarm the aftermarket system and even roll up my windows when I have them down and press the lock button on the remote).

Hey everyone, first I wanted to thank everyone on here for the great posts for me to learn off of. This site is amazing!

Anyway, this is my first post on here and I have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT that came from the factory with the remote start option however I don't like the range of the factory remote and having to keep extending the timer after 10 minutes so I was going to put in the aftermarket remote start I had in my previous vehicle (2004 GMC Envoy). Well when I went to go and do this I got everything hooked up perfectly and when I went to program the DBALL2 module for bypassing the security system it would only have my truck run off accessories when I would remote start the truck. It would never try to crank the truck or run off the RUN part of the ignition switch.

My question is this, has anyone put an aftermarket remote start in the truck or has everyone from what it seems been programming the OEM remote start in the truck and adding that on?

My remote starter I am using is a Viper 5901 with a Dball2 module to bypass the security (it even allows the OEM remote to arm and disarm the aftermarket system and even roll up my windows when I have them down and press the lock button on the remote).

Did you reprogram the dball? That's the first thing. I had the same setup in my old car, haven't transferred it though.

It shouldn't cost much, if anything to have done at a viper dealer. You just need to find one who'll do it. If you need, I'm even able to do it, assuming you just need the firmware once. (Some vehicles require you to flash it, then plug it in, it pulls a code off the car, then you finish programming it on the computer.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did program the dball to my silverado. I know the dball works for the bypass because it allows me to start the truck with the key fine.

I would take it in but every damn shop around here is pathetic and I can't stand any of their work so I do it myself.

I did program the dball to my silverado. I know the dball works for the bypass because it allows me to start the truck with the key fine.

I would take it in but every damn shop around here is pathetic and I can't stand any of their work so I do it myself.

If it allows you to start the truck with a key, that doesn't necessarily mean it's working. You would have to have it active, and use a key without a chip to be sure.

Our trucks have a system that I imagine is very close to push to start. You can turn the key for a split second and it will continue to crank until started. With this in mind, I would guess that most of the starting is accomplished by the computer controlling the ignition circuits.

When you say you programmed it to your Silverado, do you mean you hooked it up to your Silverado and the green light came on? Or did you hook it up to your computer, update the firmware, then hook it up? You have to have a programmer for this step. If you didn't do this, it may look like it's all good, but it won't be able to communicate with your truck.

Yes sorry, I have the programmer for the dball and it had the firmware flashed for the truck from my computer. The odd part I noticed but maybe it takes even longer I don't know but on the instructions when trying to get the module to learn the truck it says to wait until the dball shows as solid green then turn the key to acc and then to on then turn it off. Mine never went to solid green before I turned the key. It was flashing red the whole time without a key in and when I turned the key to acc it flashed green and same for on. Then when I removed the key it continued to flash green for a second and the truck made the chime like you hear when first starting the truck and the dball turned off and the chime went away. Maybe that is where my problem is?

My envoy has the same starting as this truck has. The pcm controls it all and only when you lose battery power does that feature of continuing to crank the engine stop working temporarily for one start cycle.

Yes sorry, I have the programmer for the dball and it had the firmware flashed for the truck from my computer. The odd part I noticed but maybe it takes even longer I don't know but on the instructions when trying to get the module to learn the truck it says to wait until the dball shows as solid green then turn the key to acc and then to on then turn it off. Mine never went to solid green before I turned the key. It was flashing red the whole time without a key in and when I turned the key to acc it flashed green and same for on. Then when I removed the key it continued to flash green for a second and the truck made the chime like you hear when first starting the truck and the dball turned off and the chime went away. Maybe that is where my problem is?

My envoy has the same starting as this truck has. The pcm controls it all and only when you lose battery power does that feature of continuing to crank the engine stop working temporarily for one start cycle.

I have not installed in a GM vehicle, but one thing that has come up in the past for me is the tx/rx wires were crossed causing similar problems. This can be at the CAN bus or at the harness near the key.

Another thing to check is to make sure the remote start unit itself is set to D2D. You may also have to attach an ignition wire from the remote start to the DBALL. If you had the same unit in your Envoy, this is probably set correctly already.

Also if you go to the last couple pages of the programming guide those series of red flashes will tell you what it is not seeing correctly during programming stage.

Double check your immobilizer wires aren't switched.

The orande/red and yellow/red

Sounds like its not receiving the immobilizer data.

My immobilizer was showing to wire the yellow/red & orange/black are wired to the vehicle side of the immobilizer wire while the orange/red is connected to the connector end of the immobilizer wire.

The programming guide does not show anything for it continually flashing red when it's first plugged in after having the firmware freshly flashed from my computer.

Archived