C load or E load BFG KO2 for off road

2004BlueBurb

Oh really? That's cool, thanks for the reply. I called Costco and asked them to look at the sidewall markings on a c rated ko2 and he said it said 2 ply for the sidewall, even though it says the Triguard sidewall on it. I'm just nervous about punctures. Do you do much off road driving on those tires?

I do a lot of caliche ranch roads with mesquite thorns. No problems so far. The Goodyear Duratrac in 255/75x17 is P-rated and 2 ply sidewall, which is why I went with the BFG KO - LT and C rated, three ply sidewall. Now, the E-rated will be really stiff and heavy, maybe better for your Suburban 'cause it's a lot heavier than my reg. cab.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another option is KO2 255/80x17 load range E - high profile, tall and narrow. Myself, I prefer high profile 75 or 80 series, better for airing down and offers some rim protection. They should be about 33" overall diameter.

Another option is KO2 255/80x17 load range E - high profile, tall and narrow. Myself, I prefer high profile 75 or 80 series, better for airing down and offers some rim protection. They should be about 33" overall diameter.

They don't offer that size in the bfg ko2, at least I couldn't find it on the bfg site or Discount Tire. Thanks though.

• 3 months later...
On 8/6/2017 at 7:23 PM, 2004BlueBurb said:

Hello all, just joined this forum. Have a 2004 Suburban 1500 4x4. Looking to get new tires this week, and I'm debating to get either a c load or E load all Terrain. Pretty much made up my mind on Bfg ko2, just not sure the size (17"rims, stock height) tire and load yet. I go off road once every month or so, usually rocky terrain, some mud, sand. Anybody put the E tires on their rig? If so, what mpg loss have you experienced? Currently have 255/75R17 BFG KM tires on it which are C treated, but they have the 3 ply sidewall, the same size tire in the ko2 version has a 2 ply sidewall. The km tire is great, just noisy.

So what did you get and how do you like them?

10 hours ago, swathdiver said:

So what did you get and how do you like them?

I ended up getting the BFG KO2 Tires, 275/70R17. Great tire, quiet, seem to have a lot of grip (haven't taken them on anything more than washboard road with minor terrain). I can't wait to take them on a more challenging trail. I also have put on KYB Monomax monotube shocks, replacing Rancho 5000 series, night and day difference! I love the KYB shocks!

I have the 265-70-17 in a C-Ply.  About 7,000 miles on them now and have been playing with air pressure.  BFG said to run them at 50 psi on my truck.  42 psi covers the GAWR and GVWR.  At the rate they were wearing when running them in the 30s they would barely last to 40k miles.

What ply are yours and how much air are you running in them?

I agree, they are quiet and the truck runs like its on rails with those tires.  My suspension is original still.

On 11/26/2017 at 2:08 AM, swathdiver said:

I have the 265-70-17 in a C-Ply.  About 7,000 miles on them now and have been playing with air pressure.  BFG said to run them at 50 psi on my truck.  42 psi covers the GAWR and GVWR.  At the rate they were wearing when running them in the 30s they would barely last to 40k miles.

What ply are yours and how much air are you running in them?

I agree, they are quiet and the truck runs like its on rails with those tires.  My suspension is original still.

Mine are E rated,10 ply. And I run about 42-45 in them. Have only had them less than 5k, so I can't report on wear yet, but so far so good. 

I've redone the front suspension on mine, did that when we bought it 2 years ago. Also added sleeves to inner tie rod ends. I found a guy who makes brackets for a front strut conversion, gives you part numbers and instructions too. Going to be doing that in a couple years probably. 

Thanks!  Just learned about sleeves and will add them when we do the level.

My truck came with E rated Rugged Trails.  They were so heavy that the truck would not coast and felt like it had a high stall converter.  The sidewalls on the C are the same as the E.  What kind of mileage are you getting with yours?  Mine is not very good, barely get 16 on the highway and 13-14 around town babying it.  

12 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Thanks!  Just learned about sleeves and will add them when we do the level.

My truck came with E rated Rugged Trails.  They were so heavy that the truck would not coast and felt like it had a high stall converter.  The sidewalls on the C are the same as the E.  What kind of mileage are you getting with yours?  Mine is not very good, barely get 16 on the highway and 13-14 around town babying it.  

You're welcome! Are you sure about the sidewalls being the same? I did a lot of research on the tires before buying them and pretty much all the c tires I found and saw were two ply sidewalls. I even went to a tire store to read the sidewall, haha. That's why I went with the e rated tires because they have three ply sidewalls. With the tires and wheels I have on it now, they are about 1.5 inches taller than stock. I haven't had my speedometer recalibrated yet, but around town I'm getting 13-14 as well, maybe 15 on the highway. But if you calculate the tire size difference, it may go up 1 or 2mpg. 

2 hours ago, 2004BlueBurb said:

You're welcome! Are you sure about the sidewalls being the same? I did a lot of research on the tires before buying them and pretty much all the c tires I found and saw were two ply sidewalls. I even went to a tire store to read the sidewall, haha. That's why I went with the e rated tires because they have three ply sidewalls. With the tires and wheels I have on it now, they are about 1.5 inches taller than stock. I haven't had my speedometer recalibrated yet, but around town I'm getting 13-14 as well, maybe 15 on the highway. But if you calculate the tire size difference, it may go up 1 or 2mpg. 

Yes, my research and BFG confirmed it during a conversation.  My speedometer is calibrated to the tires via my Tech2 which are stock size for my year, 265-70-17.  The GMT900 2500s that came with E rated 265-70-17 tires are to run them 50 psi in front and 60 psi in the rear according to the door sticker.  Funny, I don't recall actually reading the sidewall since I got them.  But, my memory is not what it once was either!  Will take a look tomorrow if I don't forget! 

33 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Yes, my research and BFG confirmed it during a conversation.  My speedometer is calibrated to the tires via my Tech2 which are stock size for my year, 265-70-17.  The GMT900 2500s that came with E rated 265-70-17 tires are to run them 50 psi in front and 60 psi in the rear according to the door sticker.  Funny, I don't recall actually reading the sidewall since I got them.  But, my memory is not what it once was either!  Will take a look tomorrow if I don't forget! 

Haha, yeah, I called BFG on the tires I got the first time, 255/75R17 C rated, and the said they were three ply sidewalls. I got them installed at Discount Tire, read the side of the tire, and they are two!! So I went back and exchanged them for the slightly bigger, no doubt heavier, E rated tires, 275/70R17. The reason I was set on three ply sidewalls is because I like to go off road and a lot of the terrain here is rocky. Plus, when I'm hauling a trailer or have the truck full of people, I like they extra stability and strength. 

Archived