New 2014 GM Truck Recall Covers Electric Steering Glitch

Just got my notice in the mail today also. It may be a while before I get a chance to take mine to the dealer. I have had none of the issues described with mine though so I expect nothing to happen until I get a chance to take a day off from work.

Writing from the dealer waiting room as I have this done right now. I've thankfully not had this happen to me in person (knock on wood), but since the notice arrived Saturday and facing a week-long road trip starting tomorrow, figured I may as well have it tackled...

This is what I sent to the dealership:

-was taken to dealership for EPS recall 8/18 at 9:00am

-intermittent issue

-happens when voltage is below 14v

-stabilitrak message on DIC and loss of air from vents when braking

-pulls steering wheel out of hands when turning

-always pulls toward center

-fighting steering wheel will stall engine

-once stalled, will not start for at least 2 minutes, acting as if battery is dead

-on 8/18 after stalling due to EPS issue in video, negative battery terminal was hotter than anything else under the hood

-on 8/19 checked for voltage drop from battery negative terminal to negative cable with accessories on and engine off. Read 0.00v DC.

Interesting. Any of these symptoms exist beforehand?

Yes, it started back in March. Less than a month after purchasing it with 54k mi on it.

Did they check all the grounds and positive battery cables per PIT5405?

Yes. They decided both battery cables and my battery need replaced to the tune of $900.

I think Im going to start with replacing the negative cable since it was hot to the touch.

I have a 2015 that is currently in the shop for this... they claimed a BAD battery at first.... tested battery and all came back fine. Now they think it could be a battery cable... Out of my 3/36 bumper to bumper and my extended doesn't cover battery or cables... any one know how i can get GM to pay for this since it is the exact same thing as the recall on the 2014s as well as the same recall back in 2015 for the EPS system? Not wanting to come out of pocket for something that GM should fix for their faulty equipment.

Edited by ruby15z71

I have a 2015 that is currently in the shop for this... they claimed a BAD battery at first.... tested battery and all came back fine. Now they think it could be a battery cable... Out of my 3/36 bumper to bumper and my extended doesn't cover battery or cables... any one know how i can get GM to pay for this since it is the exact same thing as the recall on the 2014s as well as the same recall back in 2015 for the EPS system? Not wanting to come out of pocket for something that GM should fix for their faulty equipment.

Sorry to hear this. Im going to replace my negative cable myself and see what it does.

It hasnt acted up for a couple weeks now.

The current steering recall is the only steering recall I know of for '14-'15 LD trucks. Except for a very limited steering motor recall on '15s. No recalls for cables.

Edited by tbarn