Which year Sierra 1500 to buy used?

Thanks Tim...LOL

I have 288K miles on my 2006... I'm trying to move up, not down...LOL

That's cool, just remember you can only take a late model off road once. My '90 used to get flogged every weekend and still got me to work & back M-F. They sure don't make em like they used to. Now days the Z-71 package should include a basket so you can walk back and pick up all the parts that fell off. lol

I personally wouldn't care what year, just go with the best deal you can find.

If you are set on a specific year, you might end up paying more. You will probably find a much better deal on a 14-15. Used trucks around 3 years old are a screw job. at least around here. They are asking for 80% of the price of a new one, with little (or no) factory warranty left and at least 50k miles.

I thought I was in the market for a 2-3 year old truck and ended up buying brand new. just saying. run some numbers on brand new before you decide anything.

1990, if you can find a good used one, it's bulletproof.

I bought a used '90 in 2000. I found that it wasn't bullet proof when my son ran it out of oil. Before that I was really happy with it.

If you haven't considered (and you care) the 2016 has Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto(?).

Also depending on trim levels the lighting may be full LED in the 2016 which I prefer.

Hello,

I've read a lot of good information on here so I'd figured I would ask a question. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra with 288k and it is the best truck I've ever bought, however, I feel it is time to switch to a newer Sierra. I'm looking for a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L AWD and Crew Cab. Which model year is better as far as bugs and issues and why do you recommend it?

Thanks

I have a '15 Sierra 1500 4wd crew cab with a 4.3. I came from an '09 version of the same truck except it had a 5.3. After two years with the 6 cyl. I have not encountered a situation where I wished for a 5.3. You might find your choices of great used Sierras will increase if you add the V6 into consideration. It may even be more powerful than your '06 and far cheaper on fuel! The 5.3 is a good engine but don't pass on an otherwise great truck if it has the 4.3!

I have a '15 Sierra 1500 4wd crew cab with a 4.3. I came from an '09 version of the same truck except it had a 5.3. After two years with the 6 cyl. I have not encountered a situation where I wished for a 5.3. You might find your choices of great used Sierras will increase if you add the V6 into consideration. It may even be more powerful than your '06 and far cheaper on fuel! The 5.3 is a good engine but don't pass on an otherwise great truck if it has the 4.3!

True Dat! Loved the older 4.3's I am sure this one is ROCK TOO~!

I would pass on a 2014 model- Too many recalls & small problems.

So, really, it would come down to:

Do you have to have LED lights?

Do you have to have the new 8-spd auto?

Then year vs. miles vs. price to me...

• 2 weeks later...

The fire and fury of a 2017 is a no brainer to me - used or new bigly discounted off the lot........... Not to be braggadocious.........

I bought mine for $10k off, and they paid me handsomely for my 2013 on trade. Everything just fell into place.

1990, if you can find a good used one, it's bulletproof.

My 1995 was my favorite.

In the age range the OP asked about I like this 16 better than the previous 15.

Hello,

I've read a lot of good information on here so I'd figured I would ask a question. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra with 288k and it is the best truck I've ever bought, however, I feel it is time to switch to a newer Sierra. I'm looking for a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L AWD and Crew Cab. Which model year is better as far as bugs and issues and why do you recommend it?

Thanks

I had two 2015 Sierras and now a 2017.

I'd go for 2016 on headlights alone, they're much better on the 2016/2017s. The addition of Android Auto and fixes to the infotainment are nice as well.

Warranty/mileage would be another factor. You might be able to pick up a 2016 Certified with a better warranty than the other two years.

I've bought new trucks since 1985, something every two years in my business I drove a lot. If I could choose one truck to buy every time it would be my 2001 GMC if I went two wheel drive or my 2004 Z71 for four wheel drive. It could have been my Texas edition 2014, but it just had too much nannies and especially the whole V8-V-4 nonsense. So if you eliminate all the (refinements) your back to the best GM trucks in my opinion the 5.3 pre cylinder deactivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are set on a specific year, you might end up paying more. You will probably find a much better deal on a 14-15. Used trucks around 3 years old are a screw job. at least around here. They are asking for 80% of the price of a new one, with little (or no) factory warranty left and at least 50k miles.

I thought I was in the market for a 2-3 year old truck and ended up buying brand new. just saying. run some numbers on brand new before you decide anything.

This is a good point. I was initially looking for a truck a few years old and ended up realizing for a little bit more, I'd get a brand new truck. No regrets doing this and am very glad I did.

Archived