Thinking about selling

I am at my truck for very long, but the financer in me has ran some numbers and found how expensive owning a truck truly is. I have looked at a really nice $20,000 luxury car, the Acura TLX, and found that my truck is on average $6000 more expensive per year than that car would be. What to do, what to do. Would need to get a good sale out of my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you dont need a truck, then its stupid to have one

The amazing part about modern luxo's trucks is what they are are capable of.....for a truck. Which means they are fantastic at having utility and luxury. But if you don't need the utility, a v6 honda accord would pretty much wreck a loaded denali in all categories of performance, handling, ride comfort, cost of ownership, etc.

Hell yeah I would rather drive a tlx, but I can't because the tlx can't tow 10k lbs and doesn't have a bed in the back.

Hell if I didn't need utility I'd be driving a cayman or 911

Btw, if you get a tlx, get the new a-spec. I had a tlx loaner for awhile and while it was very nice, the steering was so numb that it ruined the car. They finally revised it for the a-spec.

Are you using about $4-5,000 more in fuel per year in your truck than what that Acura would use? If not then there is possibly something missing in your numbers. An Acura also isn't able to do most things that a truck can do, so it's important to figure out what the value is in that and account for it. It's also a used car, so could have increasing maintenace/repair costs going forward.

No matter what vehicle you drive, there is a minimum cost per year to own and drive a vehicle. It's usually at least $7-8000, and often more.(gas, maintenance, repairs, insurance, licensing, depreciation, taxes etc.) This also depends on where you live and type of vehicle etc, how often you replace etc.. In a general sense, the cost is fairly close between new and used vehicles, assuming the purchaser of a new vehicle keeps it for 10 or more years, or buys a used one(3-5 yrs old) and keeps it for 5-7 years.

a really nice $20,000 luxury car

what? a used acura? of course that would be cheaper based on your current payments. but the others are right. if you bought a new truck with the intention of keeping it several years, your $6000 per year number is way off if you compare over a few years.

If you don't need a truck, by all means sell it. There are a ton of people looking for a lightly used one.

I don't 'need' a truck, but as a home owner I have the occasional use for it and I'm glad I have it when I need it. Hell, for $50k I could have gotten a pretty nice car. I don't want a car. I've owned trucks for the last 20 years. I didn't 'need' any of them, but I don't think I'll ever buy another car as my primary daily driver. I enjoy my luxo-truck.

Well $120 a week would be quite a savings. Is it the payment that has your financial side questioning the truck?

Yes, it's all about the payment.

Haha you guys crack me up, I'm not buying new. I don't tow with my truck, it is mainly for convenience if I need it.

Also, I can garuntee you my numbers are correct.

Interesting discussion. I prefer driving a pickup to a luxury car. Trucks can be equipped with features found in very nice automobiles. The downside to having a truck as a daily driver has been the high cost of fuel but GM has substantially resolved this issue. The visibility, comfort, ease of getting in/out, roominess, durability and muscle cannot be found in a sedan. Perhaps a '64 Ford Galaxy wagon would be a strong competitor for my choice as a daily driver!

I came from a Cadillac ATS because I decided just the opposite, having a luxury car, and a small one at that was fairly useless for me with minimal room with 2 kids. I got the highest trim with the 325hp 3.6L so it wasn't terribly cheap either (low 40K).....it was a great sports car, handled like a dream, with huge brembos stopped fantastic and was quite fun to drive, but all in all my truck is just far more convenient, with the 6.2L almost as fast and honestly the fit and finish is as good if not better than the ATS.

White Sierra look at KBB, NADA, and Edmunds to get an idea where you stand value wise. If looking to trade in their first offer will likely be NADA rough value. For private sale I take all 3 of the values above and divide to get an average of what I should settle for. Cash is king and I've given people way better deals just to unload a vehicle and get my money back to reinvest elsewhere.

Archived