Trans Service What A PITA

I did the differentials and my transmission today. The trans was a PITA. With the exhaust cross over pipe in the way, I had to undo rear trans mount, jack up trans and pry exhaust down for pan removal. :happysad:

Jc7DRwq.gif

I think the engineers were pissed of when they designed it or had their

CU9R3Pt.jpg

lol.. I was just gonna search the forum for "transmission filter" because I wanted to do this as well. But i watched a few videos and they all say the exhaust cross member is in the way.

Bone fiddy well spent at stealership...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Personal decision. I know it was done right. Retired so I have the time. I have always done my own maintenance. :happysad:

Personal decision. I know it was done right. Retired so I have the time. I have always done my own maintenance. :happysad:

I hear ya. I did all my fluids last summer, but my research on that one had me open the wallet. I wish I had a lift in my garage...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I tried to raise the trans and still couldn't get it. got nervous I was going to damage something in the internals so I finally cut the cross pipe got it done and got the exhaust welded back. the 100 it cost me to get it welded back may be cheaper to just let the dealer do it. I never called them to get a price

Now I can't say for sure about OP's with (presumably 6L80), but with my '12 and 6L90, there was plenty of room to drop the pan out without doing anything else. On any older truck with a 4L60 (<2008), pan removal is easy. Take a prybar and gently tweak (not bend) the shifter bracket to the side as you're lowering the pan. It'll clear and you won't have to remove anything else.

My trans is the 6L80. My 93 was easy.

Prices in my area for both differentials and trans filter and refill were dealer -$600 + shop add on's, $500, independent shop.

I bought trans fluid on sale and got a 20% off coupon for diff. fluid.

Cost me just under a $100 for fluids, trans filter and 5 hours of my time.

:happysad:

I just do a passive flush on the trans & don't bother with the pan. Much less of a pain and a better way to service the trans, as it fully replaces all the fluid, not just part of it. The filter can stay in for a long time with no ill effects. The fluid is the critical part & should be fully changed.

I just do a passive flush on the trans & don't bother with the pan. Much less of a pain and a better way to service the trans, as it fully replaces all the fluid, not just part of it. The filter can stay in for a long time with no ill effects. The fluid is the critical part & should be fully changed.

That's what I did when I couldn't get the pan off no matter what I tried. I'm at 52k now and figure I can go awhile before messing with the filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to have fluid exchange done at Jiffy Lube on our vehicles. I thought I would replace the filter after break in. I will now remove fluid every 10k miles through trans dip stick tube with vacuum pump and replace what comes out. Time will tell. :happysad:

How is this done??

Archived