Engine Light

Would like to know if anyone has had this problem before. I have a 2013 GMC 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. 38,400 miles. Bought it brand new. No issues. Now a message began to appear to tighten the gas cap. Checked that and seems okay. Now the engine light stays on. The message quit appearing. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasket on cap isn't cracked or anything? I would just do an evap smoke test on her. Find leak. Or find out there is no leak and cap just was not tightened all way one fill up.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Update on the engine light and tighten gas cap indicator. I recently bought a brand new gas cap and that didn’t help. I did reset it by disconnecting the battery. Been 2 weeks now and no light indicator on so far! [emoji16]

If the tighten gas cap indicator comes back on, or you notice it hard to start immediately after refueling, change the purge valve. Buy an AC Delco, the store brands and Dorman's don't seem to last but about 6 months.

• Like 1

If the tighten gas cap indicator comes back on, or you notice it hard to start immediately after refueling, change the purge valve. Buy an AC Delco, the store brands and Dorman's don't seem to last but about 6 months.

Thanks for the information.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, crabcake said:

Could you show me a pic of where this purge valve is located? Engine light still comes on.

Confirm fitment before purchasing: 

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-1473-Original-Equipment-Canister/dp/B000IZ3M3O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526428975&sr=8-2&keywords=2013+GMC+1500+purge+valve

• 3 weeks later...
Replaced the purge valve today. We’ll see.

It’s been 2 weeks now since I replaced the purge valve. Engine light has not come on, but the “tighten gas cap” had come on twice!