Creaking sound from rear of truck after hauling a TV Stand

Firstly, my truck is lifted and normally don't haul much of anything in it. A few weeks ago, I picked up a TV stand and drove it about 40 miles home. Although not a large TV stand, it probably weighed about 200-300 lbs if I had to guess. When I got home and backed the truck into my driveway, I noticed a creaking sound that has not went away. I've only driven the truck maybe 50 miles since then, any ideas on what to look for? Thanks for any input.

putting 300 lbs in the bed puts no more stress on the rear suspension than you would by normal driving over a pothole or RR tracks. I'm guessing its all in your head.

The leaf springs can squeak when sliding over each other. Nothing to worry about.

unless you can pinpoint the location of the noise or figure out how to recreate it.... trucks suspension just makes some noise sometimes.

I am thinking like aseibel and that hauling the tv stand is not a factor in this issue. A squeak is often remedied by lubrication and does not always suggest malfunction or inferior components! It may just go away on its own!

Do simple test..

Take your water hose and wet-down total undercarriage,, then drive test to see if "squeak" is

eliminated..

Problem could be leaf-spring pads or loose suspension components..

Cheers---K

Thank you for everyones help and advice! I will take a hose to the under carriage on Saturday and see if the noise goes away. I'm thinking it could be the leaf springs, if so, what type of lubcricant would you guys recommend?

To drill down abit,, try spraying water on undercarriage just inback of doors to help isolate your noise. If it still exists,, then spray front suspension area. By splitting up areas, it maybe easier to uncover..

Regarding lube,, since my military days, used Cosmoline "Heavy" lubes on working components to include leaf spring pads and between springs.

Works well in rust-belt area where I live now on yearly basis..

Be sure to check torque of all suspenson components just to insure they are within specs..

Cheers----K

Sprayed the leaf springs/rear shocks and the creaking went away. Didn't dry quick enough for me to try to isolate it further. On Wednesday I'll spray one side/area at a time to see where it's coming from. Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

I found a squeak in my front bushing for my leaf springs. I also had the TSB for greasing the springs themselves done but that didn't last long after it rained for a few days. Now I am hunting down bushings that no one seems to have.

I found a squeak in my front bushing for my leaf springs. I also had the TSB for greasing the springs themselves done but that didn't last long after it rained for a few days. Now I am hunting down bushings that no one seems to have.

I dont know if it will help but I had the infamous leaf spring clunk, I jacked the rear of my truck up, pried the leaf springs ever so slightly apart and sprayed them out with high pressure water and let them dry. I then got a quality dry graphite lube and sprayed pretty liberally in between the leafs. The squeak and clunk is gone for now. I cannot say as to longevity of my "fix" as this was maybe 5 days ago that I did this. We shall see. Good luck!

Archived