Muffler swap, looking at Borla Pro XS

Thinking of doing just a muffler swap, leaving everything else intact. I've been a MagnaFlow man for a long time, but I've been looking hard at the Borla Pro XS. Getting rid of V4 mode isn't happening, so I'd like to minimize the "helicopter" sound I've heard about. Anybody done just a swap like this? Read through that really long exhaust thread, but didn't find this setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Juscuz if you have a 5.3 engine a Magnaflow 12589 should work just fine. For a 6.2 use a 12909 which is what I have in place of the stock muffler and flapper valve. Either of these options will have minimal/slight drone and "V4 chop" providing the original resonator is left in place. The 12909 I had put on was less than $160 installed after using a 20% Advance Auto coupon.

I can't justify the cost of a cat back for what you get out. I'm about $200 in my exhaust including a Carven R muffler, Corsa style tips and installation on both. For the price I am completely happy. There is v4 chop in v4 but when in v8 there is hardly any drone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

A tuned ear will hear when it is in V4 mode - I sure can now even with the "quietest" muffler Flowmaster makes on there. Makes me wonder if I couldn't tell on a stock rig now too.............

:driving:

Interesting. What's the benefit? Sound?

Basically, yes. I want it to sound like a truck, not a Prius, but I can't justify the cost of a full catback system. Plus, I need to keep the AFM system functioning. The MPGs need to stay where they are (if I can keep my foot out of it anyway haha)

Juscuz if you have a 5.3 engine a Magnaflow 12589 should work just fine. For a 6.2 use a 12909 which is what I have in place of the stock muffler and flapper valve. Either of these options will have minimal/slight drone and "V4 chop" providing the original resonator is left in place. The 12909 I had put on was less than $160 installed after using a 20% Advance Auto coupon.

I might take a look at this one. Like I said, I've always used Magnaflow in the past, just kind of fell in love with the sound clips I'm hearing of this Borla. Do you have any clips of yours? I'm ok with a slight chop, just don't want a bunch of drone or for it to sound like crap on the outside driving down the street.

Here is a clip of another forum members truck with a Magnaflow 12909. Keep in mind his is also a 6.2. Doesn't sound not too loud but definitely deeper than stock muffler. Again leave the resonator on but have them cut muffler and flapper valve off. A competent muffler shop will be able to measure so new muffler fits in the same manner without need for extra pipe.

get a dynomax... love mine... 3" stainless cat back at budget price. and the muffler has a built in valve to eliminate drone.

Did a little research, looks like they discontinued the VT.

ahhhh shame. My theory behind it was worst case i don't like the sound, id already have 3" stainless piping that i can plug any muffler into

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Wondering if I move the factory flapper in front of the muffler instead of behind if it might do the same thing.

I have the Borla Pro XS on mine but I deleted AFM. I noticed no drop in mpg after deleting it, may have actually got better. The Pro XS produces a nice deep tone wwithout being to loud.

Archived