2017 Duramax Recommends Using Only GM DEF to Avoid Problems

NOTE: I am new to this site and posted this information in several forums because I believe it is important for all 2017 Duramax owners that may be experiencing this issue to know what I've learned.

I purchased a 2017 GMC 2500 HD Denali Duramax on May 21, 2017. I have driven it less than 8000 miles and have had it in the dealership 4 separate times because the check engine light came on.

They did “burn downs”, tightened a cold air pipe to the engine, and reprogramming the computer.

After driving more that 250 miles to and from the GM dealership and spending numerous days of my time dealing with this issue, I spoke with the dealership owner. He shared the following information:

After speaking with his GM regional representative, he was told that “GM programmed computers on 2017 GMC trucks equipped with the Duramax engine to detect any DEF that didn’t meet the exact same quality specifications as GM DEF”.

More plainly stated, GM is essentially forcing 2017 Duramax owners to buy GM DEF or there is a real chance the check engine light will come on and the vehicle could eventually go into shutdown mode.

This would clearly pose a problem for everyone that buys DEF in from anyone other that GM. I have a motor coach that requires DEF. Farmers and other businesses that have vehicles that require DEF would also be severely impacted. We buy an store DEF from third party sellers, because it is more convenient and much cheaper than buying DEF from GM.

NOTE: A service bulletin has just been released that requires owners to bring their vehicles in to have the computers reprogrammed. This is supposed to reduce the sensitivity related to DEF quality. I had this done to my truck and will do a follow-up post after I add NON GM DEF to my truck.

Archived