On Star is a joke...

eboggs

I'm sure this has been said before, but I got a letter from them today stating my free trial is running out and I better act fast! Which sparked my annoyance immediately. ;)

How is On Star not considered outdated -already?- with smart phones, AAA etc...what purpose on this earth does paying a premium to have a middle man (or woman) on the phone with you accomplish?

My rant is over....however, I am willing to listen if someone has a legitimate defense for their case.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only real advantage is that it's able to detect if you've been in a wreck automatically. That would be great if you ran off the road in the middle of the night and get knocked out so you couldn't call for help yourself. Sure it's a 1 in a million chance of that happening, but it's better than nothing. That one feature may be worth the money to some and to others it wouldn't.

Like southern said...I work with a guy that keeps it because they called him after he totaled a brand new car. Says he'll never own a vehicle without it. Also claims he will stop texting and driving (caused the wreck).

I'm surprised nobody has created an app that can determine when you're in a wreck and call for help. Or have they and I'm just unaware of it?

Like southern said...I work with a guy that keeps it because they called him after he totaled a brand new car. Says he'll never own a vehicle without it. Also claims he will stop texting and driving (caused the wreck).

I'm surprised nobody has created an app that can determine when you're in a wreck and call for help. Or have they and I'm just unaware of it?

Given how hard people treat their cell phones there is no way an app could properly detect a crash :)

Given how hard people treat their cell phones there is no way an app could properly detect a crash :)

Yeah, haha, I thought about that after I hit "reply". I guess if it only turned on once the phone starts moving 25mph or so...I know they have some phones/apps that turn phone to silent once the phone starts moving over a certain speed. Basically to prevent one from using the cell while driving. I'm sure someone much smarter than myself could program something up. Once phone moves faster than 25mph, then stops abruptly at xyz rate, it is considered a crash situation. App sends a text "are you okay?"...no reply after x amount of time, notify authorities.

If it were cheaper than onstar, I'm sure a segment of drivers may decide it's worth it.

Hrmmm...if someone creates this and gets a big bag of money for it, they definitely owe me a beer or two.

To me another money maker by a company that plays upon the public's craving to be connected and they believe it's worth the cost. I can track my maintenance my self, don't plan on an accident and if it happens can deal with it myself. This goes along with facebook IMO. :happysad:

​

There are apps that can determine who is holding a phone based on the unique pattern of movement people make when they walk (gait). Of course, this information has to be pre-programmed or 'learned' and matched to a particular person.

I'm sure the same principles can be applied to determine if a car has been in an accident and reliably distinguish a crash vs someone dropping, throwing, crushing their phone.

It's neat and terrifying at the same time that they can do this stuff.

I keep it for the maintenance updates that I get every month in an email with oil changes and system checks. I can push the blue On Star button and tell the lady where I'm heading or what I'm looking for and she will send directions to my nav. Not a joke to me...I use it. If someone steels my truck I can shut it down or the police can track it. It's not for everyone...I agree!

Sierra Boy

If the trick is stolen, OnStar can disa.ble tour vehicle. OnStar can also send directions to your navigation while you're driving, and they'll edit the route if you want to avoid certain roads. There's also the my Chevrolet app, but I'm not sure that a subscription is necessary to utilize that. I think OnStar is great

The Onstar navi is the most basic navi system I've ever seen. I tried it one time when I was in my free subscription just to see how it was and the woman couldn't even find the address of where I was going and it was a big very well known store (Bass Pro Shop). I'd rather just use my phone for navi, don't need built in nav in a vehicle. Google Maps seems to work just as good as a very good Garmin so no need for a Garmin either.

If the trick is stolen, OnStar can disa.ble tour vehicle. OnStar can also send directions to your navigation while you're driving, and they'll edit the route if you want to avoid certain roads. There's also the my Chevrolet app, but I'm not sure that a subscription is necessary to utilize that. I think OnStar is great

Most professional thiefs know how to quickly disable OS. All you have to do is knock the shark fin off or snip a wire under the dash.

Most professional thiefs know how to quickly disable OS. All you have to do is knock the shark fin off or snip a wire under the dash.

But then they won't be able to listen to SXM

Archived