On Star is a joke...

eboggs

I only keep the very basic version of OnStar because it makes the wife feel better. Otherwise, I would have dumped it a long time ago. It is primarily a cash cow for the folks who run it.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts on on-star

when i had my 14 cruze had my dog in the car (who had a cone on his head) ran into the store, came back out, and about 30seconds after lady comes from store asking me if i am ok. Then police came up asking the same thing lucky for me he was cool. And my dog still had the cone on his head (he hit the red button..) 

2016 silverado, its a joke... i love it for the key fob access. And the ability to send it to in dash nav. But that’s also a big joke.  They couldn’t even find a hotel i was looking for where google and Apple  maps found it. Called onstar which is another joke, they told me i had to pay for the nav service, etc..

Onstar saved my life.  Was out in the boonies ATV'ing and got sick (H.A.). No cell phone coverage and Onstar to the rescue.    I bet many don't know this but all new GM vehicles come with emergency Onstar (5 yrs) weather you are a subscriber or not. I was not but they had first responders there in <5min (lived just 2 miles away).  Was medi-flighted to regional medical center 75 miles away.  You never know.

That is interesting.. On Star uses cell service.  They must have been using a different carrier than what your personal cell phone had which in turn had coverage. 

I like the feature that you can unlock your car with your phone as well as remote start it.  Also a peace of mind for me for my wife who travels back country roads at night with our special needs daughter.  Deer everywhere so you never know. 

47 minutes ago, Colossus said:

That is interesting.. On Star uses cell service.  They must have been using a different carrier than what your personal cell phone had which in turn had coverage. 

The reason it may work where other cell phones won't is that it has more powerful signal.  Better antenna and better transmitter in the vehicle increase range greatly over a hand held cell phone. 

So I was told...

BTW - The EMT's could not get cell service either. We were miles down the road before they could make cell/text contact with the chopper pilot.

My trial just expired this past week. I only know this because of the email bombardment. I just don't in 2017 see the value of keeping it in my truck.

I refused to do the welcome call at the dealer. It's just a way for OnStar to get your card on file to autorenew.

18 minutes ago, mamboking said:

Do I lose the option on my iPhone to start the truck remotely if I don't renew OnStar? How much is the very basic subscription?

Right now they don't offer the Basic subscription as a renewal.  But you should have it free for 5 years from the time you purchased the truck.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 12:30 PM, sk said:

Right now they don't offer the Basic subscription as a renewal.  But you should have it free for 5 years from the time you purchased the truck.

5 years? It is only 6 months in Canada! 

I agree with original post! Totally over rated! Left me stranded on the side of the road in Montana! Girl sounded like she did not even know were Montana was let alone Great Falls! Told me I had to speak to Canadian On Star. Canadian On Star when I am in US? DAAAAA!

It's grossly overpriced and has a lot of useless features IMO. The only useful features are the app (remote start, lock/un-lock, etc), crash response and slowing down (onstar website doesn't say it will SHUT down, only slow) in the event of theft. I'd gladly pay a one time fee for the app but, I won't be paying for on-star once my trial is over.

Archived