On Star is a joke...

eboggs

On 8/12/2017 at 9:51 PM, eboggs said:

I'm sure this has been said before, but I got a letter from them today stating my free trial is running out and I better act fast! Which sparked my annoyance immediately. ;)

How is On Star not considered outdated -already?- with smart phones, AAA etc...what purpose on this earth does paying a premium to have a middle man (or woman) on the phone with you accomplish?

My rant is over....however, I am willing to listen if someone has a legitimate defense for their case.

So if you don't like it, don't renew.  We really don't care one way or the other.  Some of us have been in a situation where OnStar was useful.  My friend got her stolen car back because of it.  My mother used it when she needed a tow and didn't know her exact location.  And I use it to remotely diagnose and reset my endless trouble codes, among other things. 

We will be anxiously awaiting your ranting post when your XM subscription runs out.  Or not. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basic Onstar service is free for 5 years.....instead of a costly plan you can buy minutes at $5/20 minutes per month automatically renewable for emergency use in case your cell phone is lost or damaged.

• 3 weeks later...

I got it for the Nav and phone. I can have them download directions, or send from my computer. Don't have a cell phone (using wife's now, but I don't take it with me when I leave home) won't get one! Only 1 person has my number, so I know in advance who's calling?, and the price for the minutes I got couldn't be beat! I hope I never need it for emergency services, but it's nice to know I have it...its SAFER than a lot of the people who would come to your aid!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing I liked about the OnStar was if my truck was stolen, I could report it, they would be able to locate it and I would possibly get it back.

Other than that, nothing else seemed worth it for me. I cancelled it after the second year.

They said if your check engine light came on, you could call them and they could tell you what the problem was.

I did that late one night far from home when the light came on and they didn't know what it was.

I asked them, will I make it home? They didn't know, and just said take it to the dealer tomorrow.

Come to find out it was only the gas cap not sealing.

I do have something similar on my wife's 2017 Subaru Outback. I want to make sure she is safe so I pay the money for the full system, whatever it is called.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:10 PM, flyboyron said:

The only thing I liked about the OnStar was if my truck was stolen, I could report it, they would be able to locate it and I would possibly get it back.

I'm not sure if I want my truck to be found once it is stolen.

All I'm saying is "soup kitchen"...

so long

j-ten-ner

Ingenuity and invention is what drives this country.  The fact that someone came up with the idea and made it happen to make it available to everyone is great. 

I had it many years ago when HBO was starting up.  I just don't watch TV in my truck, so I didn't subscribe.:P

If you download on star to your phone during the free trial you have remote start for 5 years. I used on Star and sat-radio during the free trial worked fine. I liked pandora, iHeartRadio, and phone navigation better for less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onstar is nothing but another cell phone which is built into the truck. It can't do anything my phone can't already do, so why would I pay for a duplicate service? The one caveat is the app, which I would pay a small fee to keep active for the whole time I own the vehicle, but nothing else.

The theft recovery thing is about the only argument you could convince me on, but since I don't live in a crime ridden hell hole, I don't have to worry about that. I couldn't name one person I know who has ever had a vehicle stolen. I already pay insurance, so if it were ever stolen, they can deal with it.

I've only known one person in real life that actually pays for and uses Onstar.  And he used it for the navigation of all things.  :sigh:

I love the remote fob business.  It's gonna be hard for me to not pay for that in 4 years.  

Archived