When to use Flex fuel/E85?

I think most of you folks use E85 because it cheaper and you like to believe you get approximate 3% h/p gain but don't care your fuel Milage is approximately 30% less

-Yes

-No

I'm just asking [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes sense if it costs 40% less :fingersx:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember all the mods I went through in the 70s to net 25HP. With my 14 GMC all I had to do was ad E-85. I thought I died and went to heaven. People on here are trying to figure out their break even point between E-85 and reg gas not factoring in the 25 additional HP. Amazing.

I remember all the mods I went through in the 70s to net 25HP. With my 14 GMC all I had to do was ad E-85. I thought I died and went to heaven. People on here are trying to figure out their break even point between E-85 and reg gas not factoring in the 25 additional HP. Amazing.

Well for me just 25 extra HP isn't needed so it wouldn't make sense to pay more for just 25 HP if it doesn't even out cost wise. I personally could care less about MPGs, especially when it comes to a truck or performance car. It may feel like you're paying less, but if the tank of E85 won't last as long then are you really saving any money? 25 HP may make it funner to drive, but if you're losing money over time just for 25 HP then it's really not enough of a gain in my opinion. Plus since not all stations have E85 you're limited to where you can go to even get it. Some areas of the country may have it everywhere, but I'm in northeast NC and as far as what I've looked up the nearest E85 I can find is an hour away. The only way I could justify E85 is with all of the hills around here and if I towed and hauled enough weight to where it would be on the line of over weight which you might as well go up 1 level in a truck.

Well for me just 25 extra HP isn't needed so it wouldn't make sense to pay more for just 25 HP if it doesn't even out cost wise. I personally could care less about MPGs, especially when it comes to a truck or performance car. It may feel like you're paying less, but if the tank of E85 won't last as long then are you really saving any money? 25 HP may make it funner to drive, but if you're losing money over time just for 25 HP then it's really not enough of a gain in my opinion. Plus since not all stations have E85 you're limited to where you can go to even get it. Some areas of the country may have it everywhere, but I'm in northeast NC and as far as what I've looked up the nearest E85 I can find is an hour away. The only way I could justify E85 is with all of the hills around here and if I towed and hauled enough weight to where it would be on the line of over weight which you might as well go up 1 level in a truck.

Nice, I like your thinking

Ready! Set! Rant!

(If you own a hybrid, are easily offended, or you are concerned about the environment, please skip reading this post).

Kind of off the subject, but I knew a guy that tested the inexpensive AM-PM (ARCO) gas against other brands. He used a Subaru Outback for the test. He ran the ARCO gas for a whole year, then went to other brands for a year. What he found was that although the ARCO gas was significantly cheaper per gallon, it actually cost more in the long run because the cheap fuel decreased the MPG so much. I think e85 is the same thing. Waste of time and money.

I like having the option of running the e85 in my rig, but I never do. I just don't think its worth messing with. I think it was probably developed to sell more new cars to tree huggers and pennies pinchers (no offence intended if your a hugger or pincher).

Its like these people that spend $50k for a hybrid, when their current car runs just fine.

They justify it by saying that the rig will pay itself off just in fuel savings alone.

Lets do the math on some loose numbers.

Cost of new "hybrid" vehicle: $50,000

Old car fuel cost per year: $2,000

New car fuel cost per year: $1,000

Difference is $1,000 per year. So how many years do you need to drive this rig for it to "pay for itself in fuel savings".

Obviously those numbers are very loose.

As for hybrid cars, mileage differences between e85 and regular, I couldn't care less. If I had any concerns about my vehicle's fuel mileage, I would just put a bigger gas tank on there so I don't have to fill it up as often. I drive a full size Suburban, when a Geo Metro would work just fine 80% of the time.

I couldn't care less about the cost of the fuel or the "carbon footprint".

I like being a fat lazy American. (not actually overweight, but you know what I mean).

I'm glad I don't have to worry about fuel mileage.

I'm glad overweight is more of a concern in this country than under weight.

Does that make me a bad person? Ya, probably.....

Excuse the rant, no offence, and I guess e85 is an interesting subject to discuss, even if it has no other practical purpose.

Most people have the 5.3 when the V6 would get the job done. Some people pay 12-15K more to get the 6.2. E-85 is penny's for more HP, my truck ran better on it. My point was cheap HP, cheaper than going to Starbucks.

I think most of you folks use E85 because it cheaper and you like to believe you get approximate 3% h/p gain but don't care your fuel Milage is approximately 30% less

-Yes

-No

I'm just asking [emoji848]

Why wouldn't they believe they get a HP gain? GM advertises it, and I've seen dyno tests confirming. GM would never advertise it if it was not true, they don't need the class action lawsuits.

On the 4.3l you get 4.2% more hp, and 8.19% more torque.

On the 5.3l you get 7.04% more hp, and 8.6% more torque.

The 8% more torque is the difference in how it feels driving. E85 turns the 4.3l into the equivalent of the 2013 5.3l., which is pretty impressive.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/May/Silverado-May-5/0505-silv-specs.html

285 / 212 @ 5300

(gas – SAE certified)

297 / 221 @ 5300

(E85 – SAE certified)

355 / 250 @ 5600

(gas – SAE certified)

380 / 283 @ 5600

(E85 – SAE certified)

Torque

(lb-ft / Nm @ rpm):

305 / 413 @ 3900

(gas – SAE certified)

330 / 447 @ 3900

(E85 – SAE certified)

383 / 519 @ 4100

(gas – SAE certified)

416 / 564 @ 4100

(E85 – SAE certified)

Recommended fuel:

regular unleaded or E85

regular unleaded or E85

The rule of thumb I use is you lose approximately 20% MPG using E85. So in theory, anytime E85 is more than 20% cheaper than E10 or straight gas then its a bargain.

Also, since corn prices the ethanol plants are paying is the lowest its been in 9 years the price spread should theoretically increase thus making E85 more attractive however I believe the spot price of ethanol is determined by the commodities markets and which doesn't always follow basic economics.

The rule of thumb I use is you lose approximately 20% MPG using E85. So in theory, anytime E85 is more than 20% cheaper than E10 or straight gas then its a bargain.

Also, since corn prices the ethanol plants are paying is the lowest its been in 9 years the price spread should theoretically increase thus making E85 more attractive however I believe the spot price of ethanol is determined by the commodities markets and which doesn't always follow basic economics.

Even if it's the same price it might be a bargain. Think of all the people paying 10-20% more for "premium fuel" that does nothing at all for their truck, when they could be getting more hp/tq on E85.

Not to mention supporting American farmers.

E85 has 30% less energy content than E10, so it requires 30% more E85 to keep the ratios proper. Therefore, the price of E85 must be 30% less to break even. The answer is 30% less.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I think you may be right if it's actually e85. A lot of fuel may not actually be 85% ethanol, though. I think it only has to be above 50% to be labeled e85. It'll depend on the season, location and what your station buys as to what you're actually getting.

20% is likely a good round about number for mileage losses for most people, but others may be closer to 30%.

This could also explain why someone has a different experience using e85 as compared to someone a state away.

x219c is correct in that E85 does not necessarily need to have 85% ethanol.

https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_e85.html

"E85 (or flex fuel) is a term that refers to high-level ethanol-gasoline blends containing 51%-83% ethanol, depending on geography and season (see Fuel Properties and E85 Specifications). It can be used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are available from domestic and foreign automakers. Use the Vehicle Cost Calculator to look up FFV fuel economy, fuel costs, and greenhouse gas reductions.

Other than lower miles per gallon, motorists ...."

I only run e85 in both vehicles. 14 5.3 silverado and a15 5.3 burb. Silverado avg mpg 90% city 11 to 12mpg. Hwy i have seen 22mpg. Burb 90% city 11 mpg, wife has a heavy foot hwy 23mpg.

On long island e85 1.59 ,87 2.70, 89 2.90

I have used e85 even when 87 was 2.17 mpg doesnt matter to much to me its pennys if u really think about it. I do have better throttle response and have had no issues

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I noticed on my 14 Silverado that e85 in the winter would make the 5.3 turn over at least 3 to 4 times before starting up. Almost like it struggled to start but after the first cold start on the day everything was normal. I would then fill up with 89fuel and it would start up perfect. So I only run e85 in the spring through fall or so. 60k perfect miles on that sucker

Archived