When to use Flex fuel/E85?

I just filled up with E15 about 15 minutes ago. It said 88 octane on the pump; not 89 like mid grade E10. The E15 was .10cents/gallon less than 87 octane E10. Just saying.

I tried e15, and my mileage tanked hard...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in Colorado, regular is 85, mid is 87 and Premium is 89. octane ratings are 2 less than everywhere else. The E-15 label I get is 87 which is Still a deal in my book. Better octane for 10 cents less for the same mpgs....win!

I just filled up with E15 about 15 minutes ago. It said 88 octane on the pump; not 89 like mid grade E10. The E15 was .10cents/gallon less than 87 octane E10. Just saying.

So my first tank, I did two, but I have continued to run it every tank after and my mpgs returned. As with any octane or fuel blend change, you have to run more than one tank to see the real results.

So my first tank, I did two, but I have continued to run it every tank after and my mpgs returned. As with any octane or fuel blend change, you have to run more than one tank to see the real results.

Problem is, it isn't easy to find around my parts...I'm lucky to get one tank of non-e10 a month, or even a year.

First tank of an experiment.

Here in Colorado, regular is 85, mid is 87 and Premium is 89. octane ratings are 2 less than everywhere else. The E-15 label I get is 87 which is Still a deal in my book. Better octane for 10 cents less for the same mpgs....win!

I noticed that years ago out there elk hunting. Must be the blend due to altitude.

I'm gonna give it a few tanks before I post an opinion.

Steve knows me; I'm pretty thorough about my driving and what happens in my trucks. My opinion will be based solely on my findings not any "green" agenda or the likes.

The only time I'm lucky enough to get better than e10 is when I'm traveling or the tank truck driver filled unleaded on top of e85! I've seen regular e10 unleaded run 20% alcohol...that e15 I used topped out at 8%.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally don't buy E85 because it hurts to look at the fuel mileage but very once in a while I will if it's 50 cents or more cheaper. Makes a noticeable difference in power

From another topic, but seems relevant to the discussion.

RPO codes for identifying flex fuel

FHO: E15 max (non flex fuel)

FHS: E85 max (flex fuel)

I wish my 2017 6.2 was flex fuel comparable. Nice to have the option.

It added a noticeable performance increase on my 2014 5.3 but mileage took a big hit.

-S

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, it's a $100 option now. Worth it in my opinion.

It'll show under your options and pricing area of your window sticker. Mine happened to be right before the gvwr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing how the engines have a high compression ratio, they benefit from running anything above 87 octane. I wouldn't use below 89 honestly. That being said, the price of 89 or higher octane makes the savings margin even greater when figuring out the cost of running E85. Around here e85 is around 50-60 cents cheaper per gallon than 87. when compared to 89, its 70-80 cents cheaper and close to a $1 when compared to 93. For me the decision is easy, run e85 at all times. I also like the power increase and have my truck tuned for E85/93.

Just for reference I can get 22-23 mpg's on the highway with e85 if I drive the speed limit (65 usually). If im on the toll road doing 90, my mpg goes to about 15-17. I average 13-14 in the city without trying to conserve fuel.

I normally don't buy E85 because it hurts to look at the fuel mileage but very once in a while I will if it's 50 cents or more cheaper. Makes a noticeable difference in power

If the price of gas is a concern a person just needs to run a few tanks of E85, determine the percent less mpg they get with it, and evaluate the price of E85 compared to E10 to break even.

The power boost is significant, so some might consider E85 instead of a tune or aftermarket parts which void warranty.

The only way I can see a person "losing" with E85 is if they buy fuel totally based on price and it's higher that day, and they additionally don't car about the performance.

I think most of you folks use E85 because it cheaper and you like to believe you get approximate 3% h/p gain but don't care your fuel Milage is approximately 30% less

-Yes

-No

I'm just asking [emoji848]

I think most of you folks use E85 because it cheaper and you like to believe you get approximate 3% h/p gain but don't care your fuel Milage is approximately 30% less

-Yes

-No

I'm just asking [emoji848]

I forgot what the price difference should be to make it worth it or at least equal out with regular gas. I know it also depends on what you have for gas mileage. But, I think if it's maybe 20¢ cheaper then it equals out with a K2 5.3 if I'm not mistaken. When I had a '14 I never had a chance to at least try it out to see if I feel a difference because I think the closest station with 85 is an hour away roughly.

Archived