Photo
- - - - -

OEM RSE Overhead Screen Install

rse rear seat entertainment overhead screen dvd bluray oem rse oem dvd mvi hdmi silverado sierra

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlkSS

BlkSS

Enthusiast

• 40 posts
  • Drives:'16 Custom Sport Z71 Dmax

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

I have finally got around to finalizing the install of the OEM RSE system for my 2016 Silverado HD.  This was the only option that I wanted that my pickup did not come with so I am extremely happy this is done and so is my son!  I would like to give a BIG THANKS to Anthony and John at MVI (www.gm-navigation.com) as they are extremely knowledgeable and their customer service is top notch.  I purchased MVI's in-dash Blu-ray and RSE kits along with the unlocked HMI module and added their HDMI input and third brake lamp camera with switch.  The unlocked HMI is definitely worth the money over a Lockpick as you have full control while in motion and don’t have to worry about the Lockpick failing as I had 2 of 2 fail in my old 2010 Silverado.  MVI supplied most of the parts though I did source a few parts from the dealer as I did vary a little from MVI's kit as I wanted the RSE controls in the center console which their current kit does not yet have but was told it is on their to-do list with many other projects.  Their HDMI kit requires the RSE controls as you tap into those inputs.  I removed one of the cigar lighter outlets in the front of the center console and mounted the HDMI input there.  If you stick to their kit, the install is fairly simple IF you have a sunroof.  Once again, MVI offers great customer service in case you do run into any glitches.  They are also a vendor on here as well if you did not know. 

NOTE:  ***NON-SUNROOF VEHICLES***  

You do need a new headliner if you don't have a sunroof as you need the mounting bracket for the screen which offsets the screen from of the original position of the overhead dome lamp leaving ts existing hole exposed.  On sunroof vehicles, the dome lamp and screen use the sunroof frame to mount to and you just enlarge the existing dome lamp hole.

Attached Thumbnails

• Before RSE.jpg
  • Overhead Screen 1.jpg
  • Overhead Screen.jpg
  • Overhead Screen 2.jpg
  • Center Console.jpg
  • Center Console with RSE controls.jpg
  • Console Rear Controls 3.jpg
  • Console Ports 1.jpg
  • Console Ports 2.jpg

Edited by BlkSS, 14 August 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#2 miker2702

miker2702

Enthusiast

• 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Some words in all of that might as well be a fore in language for me. I started to use Mvi for radio upgrade but went Kenwood to replace work truck radio.
Some words in all of that might as well be a fore in language for me. I started to use Mvi for radio upgrade but went Kenwood to replace work truck radio.

#3 H-Town Silver Bullet

H-Town Silver Bullet

Enthusiast

• 64 posts
  • Drives:'14 Silverado

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

I have finally got around to finalizing the install of the OEM RSE system for my 2016 Silverado HD.  This was the only option that I wanted that my pickup did not come with so I am extremely happy this is done and so is my son!  I would like to give a BIG THANKS to Anthony and John at MVI (www.gm-navigation.com) as they are extremely knowledgeable and their customer service is top notch.  I purchased MVI's in-dash Blu-ray and RSE kits along with the unlocked HMI module and added their HDMI input and third brake lamp camera with switch.  The unlocked HMI is definitely worth the money over a Lockpick as you have full control while in motion and don’t have to worry about the Lockpick failing as I had 2 of 2 fail in my old 2010 Silverado.  MVI supplied most of the parts though I did source a few parts from the dealer as I did vary a little from MVI's kit as I wanted the RSE controls in the center console which their current kit does not yet have but was told it is on their to-do list with many other projects.  Their HDMI kit requires the RSE controls as you tap into those inputs.  I removed one of the cigar lighter outlets in the front of the center console and mounted the HDMI input there.  If you stick to their kit, the install is fairly simple IF you have a sunroof.  Once again, MVI offers great customer service in case you do run into any glitches.  They are also a vendor on here as well if you did not know. 

NOTE:  ***NON-SUNROOF VEHICLES***  
You do need a new headliner if you don't have a sunroof as you need the mounting bracket for the screen which offsets the screen from of the original position of the overhead dome lamp leaving ts existing hole exposed.  On sunroof vehicles, the dome lamp and screen use the sunroof frame to mount to and you just enlarge the existing dome lamp hole.

I would love to do this exact thing as well. Looks great!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#4 BlkSS

BlkSS

Enthusiast

• 40 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

I would love to do this exact thing as well. Looks great!!!

Thanks!!  If you do this and need help on how I varied from their kit, let me know.  Hopefully you have a sunroof because the headliner wasn't cheap.

#5 H-Town Silver Bullet

H-Town Silver Bullet

Enthusiast

• 64 posts
  • Drives:'14 Silverado

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

Thanks!!  If you do this and need help on how I varied from their kit, let me know.  Hopefully you have a sunroof because the headliner wasn't cheap.

Unfortunately not... But been toying w idea of adding suede headliner, so this might be my perfect "excuse".

#6 BlkSS

BlkSS

Enthusiast

• 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Unfortunately not... But been toying w idea of adding suede headliner, so this might be my perfect "excuse".

Perfect excuse!!!  I've always wanted to do that as I love the Mercedes AMGs that have the suede.  You'd definitely need to post pics if you do. 

You've probably already thought of this but if they re-wrap your headliner, you should be able to cut the hole for the screen and have them fill the dome lamp hole with that piece and you wouldn't be able to tell.  If you look closely at one of my pics, image 3, you can see where the dome lamp would go on the new headliner as it's almost "pre-stamped" to be cut at the factory.  At the very least, if it was noticeable, it wouldn't be more than that.  I considered having my headliner re-wrapped but no one remotely close to me does that so I just forked out the money for a new headliner which cost me $687 (wholesale). 

A co-worker had his Dodge Dakota headliner wrapped in suede when I live in the DFW area by a local shop and it was around $450 with him pulling the headliner if my memory hasn't failed me.  I imagine it'd only be a little more than that for a Silverado due to size.  Just remember it's a tight fit squeezing the headliner through the left rear door.  An extra hand would be extremely helpful in order not to tear/scratch the headliner, especially if suede.  Good luck!

#7 WhiteLightning17

WhiteLightning17

Enthusiast

• 2 posts
  • Name:Steven
  • Drives:2017 Denali HD

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

#8 WhiteLightning17

WhiteLightning17

Enthusiast

• 2 posts
  • Name:Steven
  • Drives:2017 Denali HD

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

Hi new to the forum here. I have a 17 denali hd and want to do the rse install with the factory gear like you did. I want the rear rse inputs as well. Already talking with mvi about the kit. How did you stray away from theirs with the rear inputs. I want it all to look like it came from the factory.

#9 BlkSS

BlkSS

Enthusiast

• 40 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

Hi new to the forum here. I have a 17 denali hd and want to do the rse install with the factory gear like you did. I want the rear rse inputs as well. Already talking with mvi about the kit. How did you stray away from theirs with the rear inputs. I want it all to look like it came from the factory.

First welcome to the forum!  Lots of great knowledge can be found here.  Don't be afraid to share some pics of that '17 Denali.  Also hopefully my emails help and if have other questions, just let me know. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rse, rear seat entertainment, overhead screen, dvd, bluray, oem rse, oem dvd, mvi, hdmi, silverado, sierra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users