Power Steps Fail To Extend

Hey Guys,

I have a 2017 Sierra Denali with the GM power assist steps. For the very most part, they work well and I like them. However, very occasionally (about once a month), I'll open the driver's side door and the step will fail to extend. If I close the door and re-open it, the steps seem to return to normal operation. I'm not actuating the center stack switch prior to this occurring.

Sometimes it can be a little dangerous, in that I'll open the door and just assume that the step will be there, but it isn't. I reported this problem to my dealer, but he couldn't find anything wrong. Not surprising, since it's happening so intermittently. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Thanks for any input that can be offered.

Edited by SandyNeck

You can keep your power assist steps, while you're at it I wish you could also keep the push button start, turn dial/button 4wd shift, push button/rotary knob shifters, center console shifters, etc. - more crap to fail that does little if anything to improve form/function/utility.

Thanks for your valuable input, it really helped to solve the problem. I should be all set now.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

You can keep your power assist steps, while you're at it I wish you could also keep the push button start, turn dial/button 4wd shift, push button/rotary knob shifters, center console shifters, etc. - more crap to fail that does little if anything to improve form/function/utility.

I'm with you, but I don't mind the 4x4 knob on the dash. The other stuff you listen I don't care for. It seems like when you add something for convenience it just causes more problems down the road. I'm actually glad I had to get rid of my '14 LT because all of the electronics. They were not (pretty well equipped but not fully loaded). I liked the stuff it had, but again it would have been an electrical and wiring nightmare since I was planning on keeping it until it wouldn't go anymore. At least now with my '83 I don't have to reset TPSM sensors every time I get new tires or rotate them myself. I just wish my '83 had the auto locking hubs like my buddy's '86 (had in H.S.), but I'm sure I'll get used to it and force me to put it in 4x4 before I get stuck or almost stuck.

I had a door sensor on the right replaced to correct this 8 mnths ago. Now the driver side intermittently stays down or doesnt extend. It's probably a dirty or bad sensor. I traded to a new Denali today with fixed running boards and have no regrets. If a two year old truck is having issues I figure it will be an ongoing future issue. I really like them though, very cool and people always comment, but got a great deal today and went with it.

Thanks Seamus2154 & Sldhead700,

An intermittent door sensor would explain it. If that is the culprit, I'd expect other things controlled by it (dome lights, etc.) to be affected as well. I'll pay closer attention to those functions next time it happens and see how they're behaving.

Thanks Again. :-)

Edited by SandyNeck

Thanks for your valuable input, it really helped to solve the problem. I should be all set now.

Sorry man...but when GM can't make a starter last 40k miles on brand new $60k MSRP vehicle, I'm just not that stoked w/ adding more options for option's sake & seeing posts like this just confirms it. I hate to be a pessimist, but when I saw these the first go around on last gen Yukon Denalis my immediate first thought was "that Denali will look ghetto AS WHEN the power steps stop working or maybe 1 stays up the other down etc."

Its not just GM....my wife drives a '15 MDX, we bought it brand new, but @ the time the '16 models were already out & the '15's were leftovers. I could've gotten an equally good deal on the '16 due to incentives, but decided against it since it was a fresh redesign & they did the following: went from 6 speed auto to a NINE speed (Honda is notorious having finicky auto trans - NEED to change the fluid regularly as it is), & for ZERO reason I can fathom since it doesn't generate any additional space or IMO seemingly save $$$$, they decided to eschew the traditional center console shift lever for a series of damn buttons....which, conveniently, are located direct adjacent to your cup holders!!!

Visions of an XL iced coffee getting knocked over by my kid or dog or wife & drenching the shifter control buttons frying 'em out or causing 1 to get stuck from stickiness etc. were in my head.

Technology for technology's sake is a waste of time. Someone explain how a power step or push button elevates the driving experience or makes owning the vehicle any more enjoyable or easier?

Thanks Seamus2154 & Sldhead700,

An intermittent door sensor would explain it. If that is the culprit, I'd expect other things controlled by it (dome lights, etc.) to be affected as well. I'll pay closer attention to those functions next time it happens and see how they're behaving.

Thanks Again. :-)

I just traded it so I can't go out and check but I am pretty sure the interior light and all still came on and the chime? The floorboards may have a separate sensor ? Either way your in warranty have them sort it. When the C6 corvette came out guys had issues with the door actuator button as it has no handle. The dealer just replaces it. But others pulled the switch apart and it was just dirty on most cars. Good luck!

Sorry man...but when GM can't make a starter last 40k miles on brand new $60k MSRP vehicle, I'm just not that stoked w/ adding more options for option's sake & seeing posts like this just confirms it. I hate to be a pessimist, but when I saw these the first go around on last gen Yukon Denalis my immediate first thought was "that Denali will look ghetto AS WHEN the power steps stop working or maybe 1 stays up the other down etc."

Its not just GM....my wife drives a '15 MDX, we bought it brand new, but @ the time the '16 models were already out & the '15's were leftovers. I could've gotten an equally good deal on the '16 due to incentives, but decided against it since it was a fresh redesign & they did the following: went from 6 speed auto to a NINE speed (Honda is notorious having finicky auto trans - NEED to change the fluid regularly as it is), & for ZERO reason I can fathom since it doesn't generate any additional space or IMO seemingly save $$$$, they decided to eschew the traditional center console shift lever for a series of damn buttons....which, conveniently, are located direct adjacent to your cup holders!!!

Visions of an XL iced coffee getting knocked over by my kid or dog or wife & drenching the shifter control buttons frying 'em out or causing 1 to get stuck from stickiness etc. were in my head.

Technology for technology's sake is a waste of time. Someone explain how a power step or push button elevates the driving experience or makes owning the vehicle any more enjoyable or easier?

Yup, all the failed starter posts and all the starters we have had replaced in our GM vehicles gets tiring. Oh wait, I think we have replaced 2 or 3 that I can remember over many decades. I don't even recall seeing a failed starter posts, even searching only yields a few freak starting issues mostly frozen flapper valve or grease related (some electronic as well). Where are all these posts that show they don't last 40k? Or is that one of those you make it sound way worse then it is in hopes others believe its true stories because it happened to you once?

Tyler

• Like 1

Yup, all the failed starter posts and all the starters we have had replaced in our GM vehicles gets tiring. Oh wait, I think we have replaced 2 or 3 that I can remember over many decades. I don't even recall seeing a failed starter posts, even searching only yields a few freak starting issues mostly frozen flapper valve or grease related (some electronic as well). Where are all these posts that show they don't last 40k? Or is that one of those you make it sound way worse then it is in hopes others believe its true stories because it happened to you once?

Tyler

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/157241-2014-silverado-starting-problems/

Service mgr told me he'd replaced more than 1 also......so yeah, go pound sand.

They changed the design of the starter, it has a plastic shroud w/ a metal washer that connects the power cable to the solenoid stud & it collects water & freezes/expands (probably depending on the angle it sits in your truck) & that's what caused the failure. Wrapped up that new starter w/ electrical tape where that piece is.

That sound you hear is crickets.

post-123821-0-81967400-1503338217_thumb.jpg

post-123821-0-57139100-1503338223_thumb.jpg

Edited by crushNchowda

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2017 at 10:50 PM, seamus2154 said:

I just traded it so I can't go out and check but I am pretty sure the interior light and all still came on and the chime? The floorboards may have a separate sensor ? Either way your in warranty have them sort it. When the C6 corvette came out guys had issues with the door actuator button as it has no handle. The dealer just replaces it. But others pulled the switch apart and it was just dirty on most cars. Good luck!

Hi Again Guys,

I just got my truck back from the dealer on the second visit for this issue. They told me that they can't replicate it. I am not surprised to hear this, since it happens so intermittently. The problem is now happening more often and on both sides of the truck. They also said that they can take no further action without replication.

I asked if they could narrow down the problem to a list of probable causes and begin with the least involved solution (i.e. replacing the "Door Open" sensors) and see if it fixed the issue. They said that GM would not allow them to "just throw parts at a situation" and would not cover replacement of the sensors without replication of the problem. Bottom line: they said that they can take no further action without replication of the problem in their shop. I told them that it is dangerous, in that I sometimes step out of the vehicle expecting the steps to be extended when they are not.

I'm very disappointed in their "too bad" response. This is a legitimate problem on a very expensive vehicle which is less than a year old and well within warranty. I wanted to ask those who got this problem repaired by sensor replacement what they had to do to get work done? I also wanted to ask if anyone might offer suggestions as to what I might do to get the dealer to take action? They're essentially telling me that GM policy does not allow for repair of intermittent problems that can not be replicated in-house. I just can't accept that response, as I'm sure that plenty of customers experience problems that are intermittent or difficult to replicate. As always, any advice is much appreciated.

P.S. If anyone cares to discuss starters or go off on a Ted Kaczynski anti-technology rant, please do it elsewhere this time. You've already sufficiently polluted this discussion. Thanks.

Edited by SandyNeck

In all seriousness, document the dealer visits and pursue a lemon claim if they can't make it right to your level of satisfaction.

i have a new denali ultimate.  so far my truck is excellent and I am pleased but I will not let anything slide.  i expect nothing short of perfection and will make sure they know it as the truck enters the service bay.

Edited by mct

4 hours ago, SandyNeck said:

Hi Again Guys,

I just got my truck back from the dealer on the second visit for this issue. They told me that they can't replicate it. I am not surprised to hear this, since it happens so intermittently. The problem is now happening more often and on both sides of the truck. They also said that they can take no further action without replication.

I asked if they could narrow down the problem to a list of probable causes and begin with the least involved solution (i.e. replacing the "Door Open" sensors) and see if it fixed the issue. They said that GM would not allow them to "just throw parts at a situation" and would not cover replacement of the sensors without replication of the problem. Bottom line: they said that they can take no further action without replication of the problem in their shop. I told them that it is dangerous, in that I sometimes step out of the vehicle expecting the steps to be extended when they are not.

I'm very disappointed in their "too bad" response. This is a legitimate problem on a very expensive vehicle which is less than a year old and well within warranty. I wanted to ask those who got this problem repaired by sensor replacement what they had to do to get work done? I also wanted to ask if anyone might offer suggestions as to what I might do to get the dealer to take action? They're essentially telling me that GM policy does not allow for repair of intermittent problems that can not be replicated in-house. I just can't accept that response, as I'm sure that plenty of customers experience problems that are intermittent or difficult to replicate. As always, any advice is much appreciated.

P.S. If anyone cares to discuss starters or go off on a Ted Kaczynski anti-technology rant, please do it elsewhere this time. You've already sufficiently polluted this discussion. Thanks.

It infuriates me when the dealer states they can't reproduce the problem. I ask then, do you think I want my brand new truck here to get dinged up for no reason?? The last time I took video and a pic of the floor boards down and showed them. Did the same thing with my seat clicking. No debate heres the video. Tell them to say the right thing to get it done. How do they get paid not to fix things??