Leveled and rear air bags?

Hey all,

I've got a '15 Sierra SLT with Z71 package, 22" w/ 305/45/22, and a 2.25 Ready Lift level.

I've thought from the start that it looked a bit 'back heavy'.

But then... I towed about 500 miles with 5 people, 3 days of camping gear, and a 23ft Sea Ray cruiser. I'm assuming we were at 7000lbs to tow and 1500lbs of cargo in the truck.

The truck couldn't have performed better, IMO, for what it is. We averaged about 10/11 mpg and I never really felt overloaded.

My only problem was how low the back end sank with the load. Of course, if you strap that much weight on the back of a truck, the back end will sag. But I've heard that an air bag system could help with the aesthetics, as well as the safety of the operation.

I've thought about putting in an air bag system just solely because I'd like to bring the back end up an inch or so (unloaded). But the added safety and adjustability sounds like a bonus.

Any advice on how practical/impractical this modification could be? Would different rear blocks be another option?

post-144592-0-93282300-1503032141_thumb.jpg

I just installed a set of Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate bags on mine and don't like them. They created a harsh ride. I've seen other people that do like them and the only thing I can equate it to maybe is that I'm running the Bilstein 5100 shocks on all four corners and they are much better than the Ranchos that came on the truck as far as ride goes. These Bags have the internal Jounce Bumpers and I felt like I was hitting them on small bumps. I removed my Bags last night and the truck definitely rides better. I have a set of the Air Lift Ride Control (2000 LB) on order and they should be here on Monday. From what I read, they are geared more for the weekend hauler/tower which is what I am. I drive my truck as a daily driver, but I tow a 27' Pontoon Boat and 16' Enclosed trailer with motorcycles and don't think I'd ever really need "5000lbs" capacity...

The Ride Control bags mount differently and should give a better ride when not loaded.

I agree that adding anything that stiffens the suspension sucks when you are riding unloaded. I tried rear timbrens and took them off for the same reason, every time I hit a small bump the rear end would bounce off the bumpers. totally pointless when you are unloaded.

so you could get some airbags and leave them inflated just a bit and add air only when you tow. I chose to put on some Helwig helper springs. They lift the rear a little bit, but you can tighten them down even more. the springs aren't incredibly stiff so they don't affect your ride very much unloaded. just something to consider. I like that I don't have to maintain the air pressure.

rear blocks would maintain your current ride/feel. If you don't think you tow enough or carry enough weight to justify a stiffer suspension, that's not a terrible option.

Thanks guys! Dcarl, I'd be really interested in an update when you get the new bags in. Specifically how it rides with just a bit of air in and unloaded. Good luck with the install.

I have a '16 Silverado CC Z71, that I've installed a set of 5000's on my truck. I run 5 psi when I'm unloaded, it raised the back of my truck 1/2 inch. You wouldn't know they are installed. When I pull my 5000lb TT I put 30 - 35 psi in them. Rides great and brings my truck back to stock height. I could get close to stock height with WDH, but I was always a little nose high.

I have a set of Firestone air bags on the rear of mine. I put them on for the same reason you are looking into them. Pulling boats, trailers on weekends and hated the rear end sag. Without a load and DDing it I run 5-7 pounds and rides very good. Depending on what I'm hauling I put 25-45 pounds in them. I just fill with a compressor in my garage and have the valve stems out the back. You can get real fancy and have a digital screen in the cab with a push off a button increase or decrease pressure.

I have a '16 Silverado CC Z71, that I've installed a set of 5000's on my truck. I run 5 psi when I'm unloaded, it raised the back of my truck 1/2 inch. You wouldn't know they are installed. When I pull my 5000lb TT I put 30 - 35 psi in them. Rides great and brings my truck back to stock height. I could get close to stock height with WDH, but I was always a little nose high.

I have a set of Firestone air bags on the rear of mine. I put them on for the same reason you are looking into them. Pulling boats, trailers on weekends and hated the rear end sag. Without a load and DDing it I run 5-7 pounds and rides very good. Depending on what I'm hauling I put 25-45 pounds in them. I just fill with a compressor in my garage and have the valve stems out the back. You can get real fancy and have a digital screen in the cab with a push off a button increase or decrease pressure.

:thumbs:

I've got Firestone Ride Rites with no on board compressor...just add air when I tow or haul my quad in the bed. If you are unloaded and leave them at 10psi or higher, you get a bumpy jarring ride. Keep them at 5psi when you are unloaded, and you won't even know they are on there. Best thing I have installed on my truck....I hate ass sag.

I ran mine to put one air valve on each side of my bumper trim next to the rear license plate lights. In hindsight, I would have joined them and only had one air valve....I always keep them at the same pressure so it would be easier to have only one valve to fill. I thought I would keep the driver's side a little more pumped up to counteract the "chevy lean", but I never do.

And I'm running the RCX level with the taller rear block -- fits fine. They make extensions for the bag platforms if you lift your truck higher than a level.

If you install them yourself, take your spare tire completely out....that will save you an hour or more of headaches!

I have the air lift 5000 ultimates also. I had the ride control bags previously on this truck. Definitely prefer the 5000s. A couple weeks ago I installed their wireless compressor system and its definitely worth the investment. Very easy install and can air bags up on the go. Also have 3 memory presets.

Depending on how it looks sitting empty you could always just increase the amount of block on the rear end. Would be a lot cheaper as well and shouldn't change the ride.

Even a boat with light tongue weight makes these trucks sag way more than a taller block on the rear can compensate for. You either need bags or add-a-leafs.

Even a boat with light tongue weight makes these trucks sag way more than a taller block on the rear can compensate for. You either need bags or add-a-leafs.

Mine doesn't seem to that bad, the picture in my gallery is my boat and about 400 lbs in the bed, it might drop an 1" to 1 1/2". Could possibly have to do with the shocks too, I still have the stock ranchos

Archived