PreRunner Dual Tire Carrier Build

Last Weekend I spend most of my time Building a PreRunner-Style Bed Tire carrier for my Silverado.

I have always loved how Trophy Trucks and PreRunners Look with the Dual Spare Tires on The back, and wanted to incorporate some of that into my truck build, so I decided to learn how to cut tubing and weld, while making this build :smash:

The total cost of this project was less than US$100.00 (without straps)

Take into account that my execution is far from perfect, and that it has downsides, but maybe this Topic will help anyone else who would be interested on doing something like this and consider my mistakes, so, this is my philosophy:

-Im a Mexican living in Mexico, our roads are FAR from good, and I have always carried 2 spare tires just in case (one on the stock location, one strapped on the bed)

-I wanted to free the space the 2nd spare was taking on the bed, and I just wanted a Dual Tire carrier just because

-I built it specifically to stock mounting locations for the stock tailgate, to be able to return the truck to Stock anytime

-I dont haul heavy stuff, so, not having an opening tailgate is something I can live with

-I wanted to keep my Tonneau Cover

-It is solid mounted to the bed, so it also acts as a brace and improves overall bed strength

-It helps with Weight distribution, helps the truck be less tail happy and smoother

-Im planning to incorporate toolboxes on the carrier (Soon I hope) :driving:

Here is the video of the Build, pics are attached:

Hope You Enjoy

Comments and Criticism is well received

post-172597-0-46088000-1503420870_thumb.jpg

post-172597-0-55023200-1503420913_thumb.jpg

Comment: Good on you for learning to do some fabricating. I am also a huge fan of pre-runners and love their look.

Criticism: The location of the tire carriers and tires vary depending on the build of the truck, but all of them have the tires located at least half way in the bed space. Having the tires hang out past the end of the bed is going to have issues.

Comment: Good on you for learning to do some fabricating. I am also a huge fan of pre-runners and love their look.

Criticism: The location of the tire carriers and tires vary depending on the build of the truck, but all of them have the tires located at least half way in the bed space. Having the tires hang out past the end of the bed is going to have issues.

Thank you very much for your feedback

The reason for hanging them past the bed is to keep the Tonneau cover (I mostly haul my luggage when traveling)

That being said, I tried to keep the departure angle of the carrier equal to the stock (not considering the towing ball and mount).

What are the issues I could be having with this setup?

Well this is what I see.

1. Weight balance over rear axle will be off

2. Harder to get hooked up for towing with it that far over the hitch

3. Stress on the lower attachment point with use

I wish I could upload pictures I have to show you but Im at work. You can actually modifyy your design and move the tires back in the bed and lose the cover

Without seeing the top of your tonneau, I don't know if it covers the stake holes on the sides of your bed. But I would try to build something that holds the tires over the top of your tonneau. You're going to have huge issues with them hanging clear out like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without seeing the top of your tonneau, I don't know if it covers the stake holes on the sides of your bed. But I would try to build something that holds the tires over the top of your tonneau. You're going to have huge issues with them hanging clear out like that.

Yes, the Tonneau covers the bed up until the edges.

So far haven't had any problems with Trailer Engagement, and the truck drives better, with the tail being a bit more planted (not tail happy anymore)

I will report on any issues that should arise

What are huge issues you can think of having them hanging clear out?

Thanks, I Appreciate your input

post-172597-0-03551900-1503598092_thumb.jpg

post-172597-0-27903000-1503598103_thumb.jpg

I like it.

The only thing I would suggest would be to add a removable brace from the hitch to the bottom of the carrier if you intend to do anything rough...while those mounts for the tailgate are strong, that is still sheet metal and you have a lot of weight hanging off there. If it was removable, you could take it off to trailer.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

If you had to keep the cover I would have made the mount so the tires are laid over more on their side than straight up so you could have them partially in the bed like other mounts. Or just stacked them on their sides completely so one is on top of the other if that would clear the cover.

I like it.

The only thing I would suggest would be to add a removable brace from the hitch to the bottom of the carrier if you intend to do anything rough...while those mounts for the tailgate are strong, that is still sheet metal and you have a lot of weight hanging off there. If it was removable, you could take it off to trailer.

I have actually thought of that a support as a 2" square that went to the receiver, but when I finished it like it is, I was surprised that it was as strong as it is.

I don't plan to do anything too rough, my suspension setup is too mild, but I'm building it one step at a time

If you had to keep the cover I would have made the mount so the tires are laid over more on their side than straight up so you could have them partially in the bed like other mounts. Or just stacked them on their sides completely so one is on top of the other if that would clear the cover.

I considered that option, but also wanted to try it like it is, with vertical tires.

This project helped me a lot to get decent at building stuff, and if I find any issues with this setup, I will report them.

Cutting and making it again changing the layout has always been a possibility, being because of issues or because I get bored of the looks

Thank you very much for your inputs

Cut the bed floor where the spare tire area would be. You can have the tires sit sunken into the floor a few inches in there and most likely have your bed cover close too. Just another idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut the bed floor where the spare tire area would be. You can have the tires sit sunken into the floor a few inches in there and most likely have your bed cover close too. Just another idea

That crossed my mind, but I'm not yet ready to cross that line haha

Archived